First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Hmm, close to 12,000 miles on mine. I off road and occasionally tow a small travel trailer and have not had any noticeable problems with the clutch. I'm curious if FCA considers the MT Wranglers safe to drive or owners should park them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s Sport, 2001 TJ, 1989 xj
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
That's their problem, not yours. You have a 4WD vehicle and need a comparable loaner while yours is under repair. If they provide you a 4WD vehicle they have to expect it to be used.
I agree that this is what should happen, but my expectations are pretty low at this point. My luck would be that I would end up with a Renegade high centered on a stump or something ridiculous.

I think it's against Federal Law to sell a vehicle with a active recall. You might get another vehicle or a buy-back.
Yeah, I'm curious how FCA will handle it. The dealer is already trying to take the position that they were allowed to sell it until FCA instituted the buy-back/ stop sell order.
As far as getting a different vehicle, I am not sure that would be much of a benefit. I went out of my way to have a manual, and I don't see them putting me in a comparable automatic version without paying another $2500 for the privilege.
I would really like to just keep what I got if at all possible.

Exact same thing happened to me when I bought my Jeep there - hate that place! They kept pressing me about the extended warranty - my whole experience there was horrible. Where you dealing with Brandon? Slimy.

Anyway - sorry about the circumstance. My clutch has been smelling too but I'm still driving it. I just found out about this recall this am....
Yes I believe Brandon was the sales manager I spoke with. Our salesman was Kelly, a Nigerian fella with a strong accent. He has been pretty easy going aside from being super worried about his survey scores.
At this point I wish that I had just continued to try to work with Safford in Fredericksburg like I had done originally. I might not have gotten a JL as soon but at least it would've been after this recall had blown over.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Yes I believe Brandon was the sales manager I spoke with. Our salesman was Kelly, a Nigerian fella with a strong accent. He has been pretty easy going aside from being super worried about his survey scores.
At this point I wish that I had just continued to try to work with Safford in Fredericksburg like I had done originally. I might not have gotten a JL as soon but at least it would've been after this recall had blown over.
that dealer probably treats their employees like shiza, hence him being worried about the score and losing his job. hopefully you poor souls that bought jeeps from this dealer are leaving them scathing reviews on Google and Yelp. when i go vehicle shopping i always do a lot of research on the dealerships ill be visiting. i have avoided plenty due to bad customer reviews.

being that this is an official FCA recall, cant you take it to any Jeep dealer? i would avoid that Lustine place like the plague.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...At this point I wish that I had just continued to try to work with Safford in Fredericksburg like I had done originally. I might not have gotten a JL as soon but at least it would've been after this recall had blown over.
Hindsight is 20/20. As I mentioned earlier, this sucks that this happened to you but if it didn’t happen to you, it would have happened to someone else.

Someone who is most likely far less capable of fixing their Wrangler away from the dealership and also far less understanding that, “for a $50k vehicle, how can this problem happen?!”

I doubt you’ll be dealing with this problem for long. Again, thanks for the updates.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
that dealer probably treats their employees like shiza, hence him being worried about the score and losing his job. hopefully you poor souls that bought jeeps from this dealer are leaving them scathing reviews on Google and Yelp. when i go vehicle shopping i always do a lot of research on the dealerships ill be visiting. i have avoided plenty due to bad customer reviews.

being that this is an official FCA recall, cant you take it to any Jeep dealer? i would avoid that Lustine place like the plague.
....oh yeah, I've left poor ratings on several different boards. On Google, the dealership wrote back (on the board) "sorry for the bad experience, please call me at xxx-xxxx...etc... - called five days in a row - no answer...left VM's with no response. I just gave up but I am trying to advise everyone I can to stay away from Lustine Jeep.

Sponsored

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Picked up my manual 3/4, so a day after the official safety recall notice. haven't had any problems with it yet, but haven't put very many miles on it either.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
....oh yeah, I've left poor ratings on several different boards. On Google, the dealership wrote back (on the board) "sorry for the bad experience, please call me at xxx-xxxx...etc... - called five days in a row - no answer...left VM's with no response. I just gave up but I am trying to advise everyone I can to stay away from Lustine Jeep.
I too rely on online reviews for choosing who I do business with.

I would update your review with something like:

“At the dealer’s request, I called them five times but they never answered. Left a VM and never got a response.”

Best case: the dealer sees it and calls back. Worst case: it stays documented for others to see.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
This horse has been beaten to oblivion already sorry you didn't see the news but this whole manual transmission problem has been up and down this forum and just about every Facebook jeep page. Sucks finding the news the hard way I even heard you can't even order the manual because FCA has closed it for now. Well now that you are in the same boat as everyone else who bought one just ride it out stay informed on here. FCA will eventually find a fix.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So, the recall was announced on March 3rd? And you purchased on the 8th. And the stop sale was distributed on the 10th?

I am unaware that it is lawful for a dealership to sell you a car without telling you that it was subject to a recall. I would start there. Assuming that you want out of the transaction? Do some research and then approach the dealership.
https://consumered.georgia.gov/ask-...allowed-sell-new-vehicle-open-safety-recall-0

Personally, OP, you might just want to go back to the dealer and talk to them about rescinding the purchase. If the dates above are correct and the NEW car was, in fact under recall before you purchased it, they could not legally sell you that car......... that said, I’m not a lawyer.

Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I too rely on online reviews for choosing who I do business with.

I would update your review with something like:

“At the dealer’s request, I called them five times but they never answered. Left a VM and never got a response.”

Best case: the dealer sees it and calls back. Worst case: it stays documented for others to see.
Honestly, didn't think about doing that but I will now........It's been about 16 months but I'm still holding a grudge. lol

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase

Yes, the recall can be done at any dealer. Issue is that other dealers might not prioritize my jeep since it didn't come from them. Like, they will want to get the customers who purchased from them done first to preserve their reputation.

Picked up my manual 3/4, so a day after the official safety recall notice. haven't had any problems with it yet, but haven't put very many miles on it either.
It looks like you special ordered yours? My guess is that they probably did the PDI and processed it before the recall wen't live on the 3rd even though you took delivery on the 4th. But thats just a theory.

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
***Update****
I just got a call from the General Manager at Lustine.
He was much better about the situation than the sales manager, thats for sure.
Here's what we discussed:
-he also maintains that Lustine was not aware of the recall until 3/10.
-he said he will do everything he can to make this right, whether by negotiations with FCA or directly through the dealer
-he talked about some other situations where people were stuck with a vehicle that was affected by a stop-sell (didn't sound ideal, but not terrible)
-I asked him about just getting an aftermarket clutch installed, he wants to do research to find if FCA will consider that enough to satisfy the recall or if they would require that the aftermarket clutch be swapped with an OEM unit to clear the recall.

He will get back to me by monday or tuesday. In the mean time I am referring him to this thread so he can have a good, written, account of what's happened.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
They need to PROVE they weren't aware of the Recall until 3/10. The Forum was aware prior to 3/10, so that sounds like them doing Damage Control. Your contact at FCA has real leverage to see you made whole, stick with him. That selling/ delivering to you while Stop Sale in effect is so serious an offence, it's mind- boggling.

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
***update 2***
Just got a call from a different sales manager than who I spoke with last night. At this point I have dealt with 2 sales managers and the general manager from Lustine and one rep from FCA.

This latest call consisted of a deeper explanation (or possibly excuse) of why they would sell a vehicle with an open recall without a fix.
They claim that they never got a stop sell nor recall notice until the 3/10 notice with the floorplan buyback info. He said that on 3/3 there wasnt a recall, but instead an "advance notice." I asked him to elaborate, and he said an advance notice just advises dealers that an issue exists and to expect a possible recall.

This information raises as many questions for me than it answers:
His statement conflicts with information from Mopar
It conflicts with the statements of the FCA rep
it conflicts with common sense.

Even if what he says is true, he essentially confirmed that the dealership knowingly sold a vehicle that was likely going to be recalled, and they knew in some worst case scenarios could kill its occupants. For all they knew I could have kids- what if I went straight home and put some child seats in the back and went for a ride? If this thing goes up in flames I can easily escape, and insurance will take care of it. But unstrapping children would be a terrifying ordeal if it started to burn down.
They need to PROVE they weren't aware of the Recall until 3/10. The Forum was aware prior to 3/10, so that sounds like them doing Damage Control. Your contact at FCA has real leverage to see you made whole, stick with him. That selling/ delivering to you while Stop Sale in effect is so serious an offence, it's mind- boggling.
Does anyone here have a formal recall/stop sell from prior to 3/10? Maybe the first notice the dealers got?
Sponsored