Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s Sport, 2001 TJ, 1989 xj
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t even owned our JL a whole week and already have a horror story shaping up with it.
On Saturday we visited a dealer near our home to look at a jl. I asked about getting a manual transmission and the salesman was cryptic about ordering one. So we left and I started looking for dealers with one on the lot. I finally found one about 1.5 hours away at Lustine Jeep in Woodbridge, VA.

So on Sunday (3/8/20) we brought home a brand new jl Willy’s sport with the 6 speed manual.
On the ride south on i95 I could smell clutch burning. I wondered many things during this time- “am i doing it wrong? Is it just breaking in?”
Mind you I have been driving manual transmissions as my daily driver for 14 years.

The next day (3/9) our salesman calls to follow up and i tell him what happened. He was more worried about me leaving a good rating on his survey. I drove it around most of the day doing estimates for work. Didn’t notice the smell again until I had to make a 20 mile jaunt on the interstate.

Tuesday (3/10) I come home from work and find an internal fca recall notice about 2018-2020 JL clutches with some strong language about the possibility of fire. I check my vin on mopar’s site and my Jeep is affected. Come to find out this recall came out on March 3rd according to mopar! I call Lustine and speak with the sales manager. The manager says “we performed that recall, they just didn’t submit the work order yet” to which I replied “how could you perform a recall if the parts aren’t available?” This made him nervous. He said he had to call his service manager and would call me back. 20 minutes later he calls back and essentially tells me that my only option is to drive all the way back and drop off the Jeep for some undetermined amount of time- probably at least a month- and take a loaner vehicle.

At this point I’m getting upset:

-I was sold a brand new vehicle even though it had an open recall
-I traded in my perfect running and driving daily to get it
-no one told me about this recall at any point of this $30k transaction
-the sales manager attempted to lie about performing the recall.
I aired my grievance with the sales manager, who then became hostile.

After that fruitless conversation I decided to contact FCA directly.

The rep from FCA confirmed that no dealers are allowed to sell stock with open recalls and that this in fact had an open recall when I took delivery of it. She escalated the issue to someone higher up who will be contacting me in the next day or so.

At this point I’m looking to convince FCA to do one of the following:
install an aftermarket clutch
Cut me a check to get an aftermarket clutch installed
Do a straight buyback/trade assist deal into a non affected vehicle, similar to what happens in lemon law situations.

Has anyone else bought an affected manual after the 3/3 recall date like me? What else can I do?
Sponsored

Last edited:

HackedJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well get ready for some fun.

I figure FCA won't care and your best bet is to get it into dealer asap to start the clock of it waiting there not doing anything

After a month or so you will have some fighting power

We have a Dodge eco diesel that has a recall with no remedy and the junk has been Sitting at dealer so long I forgot what it looked like (work truck).

They attempt to put the stock replacement which lasts a week or two then back to the same issue. They just stopped changing the part until a remedy is issued. Figuring they atleast swap yours with another stock replacement clutch and cross your fingers

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I also just found out - I bought mine on Feb 18th.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...fety-recall-on-2020-jl-mt.47887/#post-1049829

NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section>20V-124
Recall Date: March 3, 2020
Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:
In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.
SAFETY RISK:
If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.
REMEDY:
The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.
RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
MANUFACTURER NOTES:
For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the life of a Jeep owner!

Best of luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Not to get too far off track, but no joke! That place is a shark tank.
I contacted them on Saturday night and got a preapproval, scheduled a time to go in and look at it. We show up and not two feet away from stepping out of the car and a salesman accosted us. We told him we already had a salesman we were working with. Dude says “well I’ll be helping you from here” he straight stole the other guys sale.
And let me tell you about that finance office- the place was kept at a balmy 95 degrees while they tried to sweat us out into agreeing to an extended warranty. Mind you, the Silverado we traded was financed at a pretty competitive rate with perfect payment history and the guy was blowing smoke up my ass saying he could only get us a rate that parallels my credit card. After 2.5 hours of pretending to look for a better rate, saying ‘well they may give a better rate if you do this service plan’ while we were trapped in this sauna my girlfriend finally broke down in tears from the pressure of the sales process. At that point he gave up the act and gave us the same rate we had on the Silverado.
Would not recommend.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Wow...this is just insane! Get your attorny general office involved for selling a vehicle that had a recall. I'd even talk to a lawyer to see what you can do legally to get your money back.
Good luck

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...At this point I’m looking to convince FCA to do one of the following:

Do a straight buyback/trade assist deal into a non affected vehicle, similar to what happens in lemon law situations.

What else can I do?
Get it to the dealership in the best way you see fit. I recommend having the vehicle replaced immediately as I bolded above. Lastly, if you can help it, don’t do any further business with that dealership.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Though I am concerned about the recall, and would be impatient about it, but thankfully I don't have the burning clutch smell.
The only time I have to slip the clutch a little is when I park in the garage. I have a somewhat steeply inlined driveway and also needs a little bit of maneuver to get it into the corner of the garage. I keep my RPM at about 1.5K and that too for a few seconds.

For reversing, I don't even have to press gas as it is downhill but I still have to slip the clutch for a few seconds too.

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Though I am concerned about the recall, and would be impatient about it, but thankfully I don't have the burning clutch smell.
The only time I have to slip the clutch a little is when I park in the garage. I have a somewhat steeply inlined driveway and also needs a little bit of maneuver to get it into the corner of the garage. I keep my RPM at about 1.5K and that too for a few seconds.

For reversing, I don't even have to press gas as it is downhill but I still have to slip the clutch for a few seconds too.
My issue is I don’t have a problem when the clutch is being operated, it’s just when I’m already going in gear. Specifically 6th gear seems to make the clutch burn.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Get it to the dealership in the best way you see fit. I recommend having the vehicle replaced immediately as I bolded above. Lastly, if you can help it, don’t do any further business with that dealership.
Yeah at this point I’m just waiting to hear back from FCA about what they want to do. I’m avoiding involving the dealer any further as much as i can. When I do visit a dealer it will either be Safford or Whitten since at least they are close to me. Unless someone from here had issues with them as well...

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Haven’t even owned our JL a whole week and already have a horror story shaping up with it.
On Saturday we visited a dealer near our home to look at a jl. I asked about getting a manual transmission and the salesman was cryptic about ordering one. So we left and I started looking for dealers with one on the lot. I finally found one about 1.5 hours away at Lustine Jeep in Woodbridge, VA.

So on Sunday (3/8/20) we home a brand new jl Willy’s sport with the 6 speed manual.
On the ride south on i95 I could smell clutch burning. I wondered many things during this time- “am i doing it wrong? Is it just breaking in?”
Mind you I have been driving manual transmissions as my daily driver for 14 years.

The next day (3/9) our salesman calls to follow up and i tell him what happened. He was more worried about me leaving a good rating on his survey. I drove it around most of the day doing estimates for work. Didn’t notice the smell again until I had to make a 20 mile jaunt on the interstate.

Tuesday (3/10) I come home from work and find an internal fca recall notice about 2018-2020 JL clutches with some strong language about the possibility of fire. I check my vin on mopar’s site and my Jeep is affected. Come to find out this recall came out on March 3rd according to mopar! I call Lustine and speak with the sales manager. The manager says “we performed that recall, they just didn’t submit the work order yet” to which I replied “how could you perform a recall if the parts aren’t available?” This made him nervous. He said he had to call his service manager and would call me back. 20 minutes later he calls back and essentially tells me that my only option is to drive all the way back and drop off the Jeep for some undetermined amount of time- probably at least a month- and take a loaner vehicle.

At this point I’m getting upset:

-I was sold a brand new vehicle even though it had an open recall
-I traded in my perfect running and driving daily to get it
-no one told me about this recall at any point of this $30k transaction
-the sales manager attempted to lie about performing the recall.
I aired my grievance with the sales manager, who then became hostile.

After that fruitless conversation I decided to contact FCA directly.

The rep from FCA confirmed that no dealers are allowed to sell stock with open recalls and that this in fact had an open recall when I took delivery of it. She escalated the issue to someone higher up who will be contacting me in the next day or so.

At this point I’m looking to convince FCA to do one of the following:
install an aftermarket clutch
Cut me a check to get an aftermarket clutch installed

Has anyone else bought an affected manual after the 3/3 recall date like me? What else can I do?
Please keep us posted on your interaction with FCA.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
My issue is I don’t have a problem when the clutch is being operated, it’s just when I’m already going in gear. Specifically 6th gear seems to make the clutch burn.
You probably have a defective clutch assembly, and you would be more vulnerable for the clutch pressure plate getting overheated.

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s the actual documents on the recall if anyone was interested. Notice how the mopar site shows March 3 as the recall date, and March 10 fca started buying back dealer inventory
AD375942-A3BD-4433-989B-AD277B8F0AB6.png
32535E80-89B6-465A-9DB2-79D31F70499A.png
F6E97FBC-B2F4-4842-A604-85395CD8BC5E.jpeg
Sponsored