Sponsored

biTToe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi: Ordered 1/30/18 - Delivered 06/12/18- '06 TJ Rubi ( gone ), '75 CJ5 304-V8 (long gone)
First I read this, and thought OMG, I could have written that, just add that my 2018 JL Rubi is also geared too high, that the gearings are too far apart, and my 1975 CJ shifted smoother.

I have been unhappy about my six-speed choice since day-one, and I've been driving a stick almost exclusively since the 80's

my theory - and it's just a theory and based on the fact that i have driven standards for some 45 years (and never lost a clutch - even racing) AND after 18 months with this particular jeep I still feel like it's my first time driving a standard:

The engine is quirky at low revs. Has a weird torque thing happening that feels something like the early days of turbochargers. This is fine in an automatic vehicle, as it gives that head-snapping feeling when you give it a bunch of gas off the stop line. Makes it "feel" like the car has a ton of power, and follows up rather disappointingly (but, hey- it's a jeep). Anyhow - in a standard, combined with a new, 'touchy' clutch it's a beast to roll away from a stop light elegantly. I am thinking, that Jeep has discovered that perhaps there have been failures from too much feathering by those who don't understand that you can overheat a clutch. If you do it wrong, you can find yourself feathering the clutch all the way through 3rd gear... not a good way to drive a standard.

And perhaps is that the reason said "software" is so delayed, is that "software" probably won't fix the problem (unless it is to sort out that engine torquey feeling).

Anyhow - just a theory. After 18 months with this vehicle, I am starting to get comfy with the clutch/engine matchup. Then I jump in my '04 TJ, or my son's '17 JK and drive it around a bit and i am back to square one for a few weeks.

The PR behind all this is a bit strange - I get the recall notice that says we don't have the parts, do a bit of research and find out that parts = software fix as well as 'exploding bits' and can imagine how people feel uneasy driving a deathtrap :). All the same, I don't care - just wanna drive my jeep. (and maybe get the dealer to fix the stereo USB thing - WAY more annoying than a recall notice).
Then I read this, tried it, and it's like I have a whole new vehicle. Granted, the gearing still in't ideal given it's "designed for the trail", but I can now go up my driveway in first gear from a stop easily and even in second gear as long as I am already rolling.
It's fly by wire. The accelerator pedal has an electronic sensor that feeds the ECM or somesuch. When the system is flashed the ECM doesn't seem to know the actual range of the sensor (possible voltage/resistance output values), so it's basically either On or Off (less throttle or more throttle), and I have reason to believe it never "learns". The Y01 wiped out mine; it was the first thing I checked when I started it. It's not part of their procedures, nor did my dealer do it as part of the arrival inspection.

Get in vehicle, put on seat belt, press button twice to put it into Run (no ignition / engine off). Wait for the engine light then slowly go the full range on the accelerator pedal, five seconds down, five seconds up, repeat. (Arguably one is enough). Thirty seconds seems to be too long, two seconds means it'll likely miss some of the blank spots in the sensor output (so you could get dead zones). Foot off accelerator, neutral, clutch in, hold for ignition.

Feather your accelerator pedal now and see what RPM it holds.
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
First I read this, and thought OMG, I could have written that, just add that my 2018 JL Rubi is also geared too high, that the gearings are too far apart, and my 1975 CJ shifted smoother.

I have been unhappy about my six-speed choice since day-one, and I've been driving a stick almost exclusively since the 80's

Then I read this, tried it, and it's like I have a whole new vehicle. Granted, the gearing still in't ideal given it's "designed for the trail", but I can now go up my driveway in first gear from a stop easily and even in second gear as long as I am already rolling.

Ok,

:╔─────╗
Β‘β•šβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β•
β•’β˜Ό)|||||(β˜Όβ••
{▓═Φ══▓}

is the coolest signature I've ever come across 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

biTToe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi: Ordered 1/30/18 - Delivered 06/12/18- '06 TJ Rubi ( gone ), '75 CJ5 304-V8 (long gone)
Ok,

:╔─────╗
Β‘β•šβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β•
β•’β˜Ό)|||||(β˜Όβ••
{▓═Φ══▓}

is the coolest signature I've ever come across 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
Thanks.

I added the windshield yesterday. I'm not sure I like it though

Also, feel free to use it.
This is a hold-over from my DOS/ASCII programming days

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
People driving around at 26mph in first gear offended with double overdrive. Meanwhile @Gregj is in sixth with the pedal on the floor.
Lol, the pedal on the floor was the clutch. Wanted to get a picture with multiple sixes to show the difference.
It does look off a bit but nobody will see it because nobody uses that useless gear.
After I swapped to Rubicon axles it is marginally useful now.
Gregj

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I had Y07 applied yesterday and I've noticed some changes for the better.

In the past, if you are slowing for a red light and drop it into neutral before hitting 1k rpm, the rpm would drop to 700 then bounce back up. This is the point in which I always heard knock so I've trained myself to stay in 3rd until at 1k then clutch.

Now, when going to neutral at speed, the engine catches itself at around 1400rpm and slowly drops to idle. This also applies to decelerating in gear as well, as no longer will it keep decelerating below this rpm in a defueled condition.

I'm happy with this change.... but now I have to retrain myself again.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drove the Offduty Supervisors Jeep today and the β€œ6” appears consistent. Pic is a little fuzzy,
1B06A841-B55F-40EE-A4FA-1E00E3661C0C.jpeg

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
Gregj

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
It does look off a bit but nobody will see it because nobody uses that useless gear.
Well except @DanW when his wife and daughter try to drive uphill from the garage starting in 6th. :giggle:

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Lol, the pedal on the floor was the clutch. Wanted to get a picture with multiple sixes to show the difference.
I mean there's a 6 on the odometer, so parkingbrake/0mph/clutch/6th would work. :idea:

I just don't want to see a manual transmission Jeep taken out of service because of a road accident. (But if it starts flashing 666 or "exploding in 9, 8, 7..." well that might be worth a picture while moving).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Cube

First Name
Del
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jlu
Just went to the dealer and had the recall addressed. It’s just a flash of the computer but I notice that now the instrument cluster is showing what gear I’m in (6 speed manual). I can’t see how to delete it. It’s annoying AF
Any luck with turning it off? Just had my recall done yesterday and now this gear indication is driving me nuts. I know what gear I’m in, I put it there. Dealer seemed like they had never heard of it before.

44DA34DB-ABAE-4443-8CB4-0847716A6DC5.jpeg

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any luck with turning it off? Just had my recall done yesterday and now this gear indication is driving me nuts. I know what gear I’m in, I put it there. Dealer seemed like they had never heard of it before.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Notice 21V-028 [1/28/21]: Manual Transmission / Clutch Overheat Covers All 2018-2021 Jeep Wranglers Produced by January 22, 2021 44DA34DB-ABAE-4443-8CB4-0847716A6DC5

I looked through the display menus and could not find a way to turn it off.
Gregj

biTToe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a job for the Tazer

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I don't really notice it anymore.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Honestly, I don't really notice it anymore.
Exactly. Who cares? I hardly look at the EVIC, and certainly don’t care that it has a number shown above the odometer when I do.