Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
interesting.... driven a stick all my life, have a cobalt w 264k miles on it and have always sat at stoplights in gear........
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
interesting.... driven a stick all my life, have a cobalt w 264k miles on it and have always sat at stoplights in gear........
A best practice is still a best practice. Your Cobalt may have a very high quality bearing. The clutch may also not have that much force meaning those bearings aren't under as much pressure when holding the pedal down at a light

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Or it's whining like a flock of bees and the driver simply doesn't notice. :giggle:

MIKALE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler sport 6spd
Jeeps in the shop getting a new clutch under warranty- slipping and burning. Pressure plate issue. Finally- fourth time I had taken it in saying the clutch was an issue.
How many Miles on your jeep? Glad you are getting it fixed under warranty.

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
definitely , downshifting is for the most part reserved for particularity challenging situations and I just drive it like an automatic , don't get me wrong it's still rides great
Your transmission can't be downshifted, and you are okay with that? If my transmission was popping out of gear, I would definitely have them replace the transmission under warranty.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Your transmission can't be downshifted, and you are okay with that? If my transmission was popping out of gear, I would definitely have them replace the transmission under warranty.
It’s a cable shifter. Doubt a new transmission is needed, but I’d be demanding they fix to be sure. (Those who have replaced their own clutches with center force posted about what a PITA to adjust this cables).

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
It’s a cable shifter. Doubt a new transmission is needed, but I’d be demanding they fix to be sure. (Those who have replaced their own clutches with center force posted about what a PITA to adjust this cables).
That's interesting. I wonder why you would need to adjust the shift cable for a clutch replacement on a hydraulic clutch?

The more I read about the clutch in the JL, the less I like it. =) Still can't believe they didn't use a pilot bearing.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I wonder why you would need to adjust the shift cable for a clutch replacement on a hydraulic clutch?
You don’t, but one guy took off the bracket holding the cables thinking he needed the room and had a hell of a time getting it adjusted right. I’m too lazy to look for the thread.

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
I never said it's popping out , the reason I downshift randomly is to preserve the clutch for as long as possible before the time comes to replace it

Sponsored

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Uhh I do precautionary downshifts to get into the power curve. :blush: If it's 2mi up a hill with a bunch of merging traffic (that hasn't learned how to merge), instead of 5th at 1.9krpm and 14mpg, I'd rather have 4th at 2.4krpm and 14mpg.

But Anaximander is still an :angel: and not dropping to 3rd at 3.6krpm just to blow past people going up a hill.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Uhh I do precautionary downshifts to get into the power curve. :blush: If it's 2mi up a hill with a bunch of merging traffic (that hasn't learned how to merge), instead of 5th at 1.9krpm and 14mpg, I'd rather have 4th at 2.4krpm and 14mpg.

But Anaximander is still an :angel: and not dropping to 3rd at 3.6krpm just to blow past people going up a hill.
Highway speeds, I've found no improvement in mpg using 5th or 6th. 4th gear up to 80. Towing I've run 3rd gear at 70-75 for miles on end and no improvement moving to 4th as it doesn't even have enough power to hold the speed.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
A best practice is still a best practice. Your Cobalt may have a very high quality bearing. The clutch may also not have that much force meaning those bearings aren't under as much pressure when holding the pedal down at a light
Impossible. It’s a fucking Chevy.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Highway speeds, I've found no improvement in mpg using 5th or 6th. 4th gear up to 80. Towing I've run 3rd gear at 70-75 for miles on end and no improvement moving to 4th as it doesn't even have enough power to hold the speed.
I just put a downpayment on 5.13 gear upgrade last week. Should be a few weeks until I can get it completed but can't wait to get 5th and 6th gear back.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just put a downpayment on 5.13 gear upgrade last week. Should be a few weeks until I can get it completed but can't wait to get 5th and 6th gear back.
I'm anxious to hear your feedback on it!
Sponsored