Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Jeeps in the shop getting a new clutch under warranty- slipping and burning. Pressure plate issue. Finally- fourth time I had taken it in saying the clutch was an issue.
Hi Ryparks,
Glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.

Rob
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Got the Y07 done today. All is good. Drives and behaves exactly as before, but now have the indicator on the dash. That'll make me feel better when my brother in law or wife drives it. Now maybe they'll find first gear and not abuse the clutch!

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
Jeep, with their "recall" explanation, is insinuating that drivers are:
A. Coming to a stop and not releasing the clutch
B. Leaving the transmission in gear and not shifting into neutral
So I'm 42 and have been driving manuals almost exclusively since I was 18. I very often leave my car in first gear with the clutch down at red lights. Is this a known "no-no?" Have I been doing this wrong for over 20 years?

2nd question: Is this Y07 recall really necessary if I had the other clutch recall done last summer?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So I'm 42 and have been driving manuals almost exclusively since I was 18. I very often leave my car in first gear with the clutch down at red lights. Is this a known "no-no?" Have I been doing this wrong for over 20 years?

2nd question: Is this Y07 recall really necessary if I had the other clutch recall done last summer?
Yes and yes, though the first one can be arguedā€¦ I was taught that it puts unnecessary stress on the throw out bearing. Some say being in gear would allow them to quickly move if they are about to be rear ended, but that sounds like BS (or at least very unlikely to help). Certainly, it should not heat your pressure plate to the point of failure, and we all agree Jeepā€™s ā€œfixā€ for this is a band-aid.

I shift to neutral and always have, and certainly Jeep wants you to do that so that ESS will kick in.

Y07 is for your safety. Just do it. It has no impact on performance until/unless your pressure plate gets super heated.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
Yes and yes, though the first one can be arguedā€¦ I was taught that it puts unnecessary stress on the throw out bearing. Some say being in gear would allow them to quickly move if they are about to be rear ended, but that sounds like BS (or at least very unlikely to help). Certainly, it should not heat your pressure plate to the point of failure, and we all agree Jeepā€™s ā€œfixā€ for this is a band-aid.

I shift to neutral and always have, and certainly Jeep wants you to do that so that ESS will kick in.

Y07 is for your safety. Just do it. It has no impact on performance until/unless your pressure plate gets super heated.
OK, you learn something new every day! Thanks for the tip!

I guess I had some misinformation that the Y07 recall reprograms something and is a detriment to driving performance. I drive hard...the car is supposed to be fun, and I don't want any reverse tuning on my JLUR by the dealer. As long as it's not going to do that, I'll get the recall done then. Thank you for your help!

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

I've also left my previous manual trans vehicles in neutral at stoplights but have been depressing the clutch more because I've had gear rollover noise from the time I purchased the jeep. I plan to have the trans fluid changed this week and then take it into the dealer for service of the Y07 update/recall next month and let them hear the trans noise. It could be the throwout bearing or may need a new trans, not sure. I went with the manual because I've had autos rebuilt on past vehicles and thought the manual would be less problematic but unfortunately it appears not. I now kind of wish I'd just gone with the auto trans.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd

From reading all of these cluster related threads it is surprisingly common for people to leave the clutch in at a stop, and it was something I was taught to never do.

What I was taught was to have your foot only on the clutch when you wanted to shift gears to reduce wear on the throw out bearing and also reduce wear on the clutch it is was not 100% freed from the flywheel causing a small amount amount of slippage.

And yes this recall is different cheap approach to solve the same problem of a poorly designed clutch. First recall was to basically bleed out the clutch because there was some escapes from the factory with air in the clutch line and to reposition lines and protect them so when the clutch blows up it is less likely to cause a fire.

The second recall my understanding to have the computer monitor either clutch temp or over slippage (not sure what) and to go into a limp mode

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
From reading all of these cluster related threads it is surprisingly common for people to leave the clutch in at a stop, and it was something I was taught to never do.
:lipssealed: Holding clutch pedal on floor, little bubbles in hydraulic lines, insufficient force against the spring, incomplete retraction, metal slipping past metal.

It's almost like holding in the clutch pedal at a light would be a good way to prematurely wear your 2018+ Wrangler. :bandit:

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick

What I was taught was to have your foot only on the clutch when you wanted to shift gears to reduce wear on the throw out bearing and also reduce wear on the clutch it is was not 100% freed from the flywheel causing a small amount amount of slippage.

And yes this recall is different cheap approach to solve the same problem of a poorly designed clutch. First recall was to basically bleed out the clutch because there was some escapes from the factory with air in the clutch line and to reposition lines and protect them so when the clutch blows up it is less likely to cause a fire.

The second recall my understanding to have the computer monitor either clutch temp or over slippage (not sure what) and to go into a limp mode
I had to see it and here it is , it is so obvious how one can unknowingly destroy the throw out bearing

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
I've also left my previous manual trans vehicles in neutral at stoplights but have been depressing the clutch more because I've had gear rollover noise from the time I purchased the jeep. I plan to have the trans fluid changed this week and then take it into the dealer for service of the Y07 update/recall next month and let them hear the trans noise. It could be the throwout bearing or may need a new trans, not sure. I went with the manual because I've had autos rebuilt on past vehicles and thought the manual would be less problematic but unfortunately it appears not. I now kind of wish I'd just gone with the auto trans.
are you sure the "update" won't effect engine performance ?

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
This explains my issue *exactly*. I'm only popping out of 2nd on deceleration, acceleration is fine so it's easy to work around. I just take it out of 2nd if I'm slowing down or shift to a higher/lower gear. With the multiple reports of gears slipping on decel with the manual it makes sense...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yes. I got it done a few weeks ago. Zero difference, other than current gear now being displayed on the console.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I had to see it and here it is , it is so obvious how one can unknowingly destroy the throw out bearing
Awesome find; thank you for sharing! Wow, you really don't want to be having that thing sitting there spinning unnecessarily. :tumbleweed:

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
There's presumably no method for us to prove it to you. One forum member was talking about checking with a dyno but we haven't seen any updates (and that was a while back).

Mine was done 5/25 and I've zoomed it into 70mph traffic, driven it like an old man puttering along, and lugged it along in 3rd and 2nd gear, with no apparent change in behavior. Fuel economy is holding steady in the generally deplorable range :giggle: but I don't think I have enough miles on it yet based on posts I've read elsewhere; I mean I was above 20mpg for some of my drive back from the mountains Tuesday.

"[Y]our dealer will reprogram the Powertrain Control Module software to reduce engine torque capability when clutch assembly temperatures rise to a level that may damage the inner pressure plate...". (They could of course be lying, and I haven't downloaded and disassembled the firmware.)

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
This explains my issue *exactly*. I'm only popping out of 2nd on deceleration, acceleration is fine so it's easy to work around. I just take it out of 2nd if I'm slowing down or shift to a higher/lower gear. With the multiple reports of gears slipping on decel with the manual it makes sense...

definitely , downshifting is for the most part reserved for particularity challenging situations and I just drive it like an automatic , don't get me wrong it's still rides great
Sponsored