Link

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
So, came home from work today to find this in the mailbox. Says to call to schedule an appointment for the recall and I notice it includes reprogramming the pcm as well as the icp, instrument panel cluster. I wonder what this ipc reprogram involves? This is important to me because I do not have the original ipc in my Jeep as I upgraded it 15,000 miles ago.

I will have to investigate what this involves and if it is compatible with the ā€œnewā€ cluster.

Any thoughts?
Gregj
6849BA96-DD65-499F-8759-A6811B8BD9AD.jpeg

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
So, came home from work today to find this in the mailbox. Says to call to schedule an appointment for the recall and I notice it includes reprogramming the pcm as well as the icp, instrument panel cluster. I wonder what this ipc reprogram involves? This is important to me because I do not have the original ipc in my Jeep as I upgraded it 15,000 miles ago.

I will have to investigate what this involves and if it is compatible with the ā€œnewā€ cluster.

Any thoughts?
Gregj
Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Notice 21V-028 [1/28/21]: Manual Transmission / Clutch Overheat Covers All 2018-2021 Jeep Wranglers Produced by January 22, 2021 6849BA96-DD65-499F-8759-A6811B8BD9AD
Likely because the new IPC flash will show what gear youā€™re in.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Likely because the new IPC flash will show what gear youā€™re in.
That part I get, perhaps you missed the point that i do not have the ā€œbaseā€ IPC in my Jeep anymore, how will this flash interact with the upgraded IPC? Thatā€™s my concern.
Gregj

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
That part I get, perhaps you missed the point that i do not have the ā€œbaseā€ IPC in my Jeep anymore, how will this flash interact with the upgraded IPC? Thatā€™s my concern.
Gregj
Ahhh, understood, and interesting question.

Iā€™d probably just give the service department a heads up, as they may need to use a flash for the other IPC.

Letā€™s be honest, Jeep is fixing their own design issue with the clutch, and a new instrument cluster shouldnā€™t exacerbate that issue. They also canā€™t be shocked that someone modified their vehicle.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Gregj
Was yours replaced or is it aftermarket? What year is your Jeep?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was yours replaced or is it aftermarket? What year is your Jeep?
2018 Sport S, I swapped the instrument cluster for a Rubicon cluster 17,000 miles ago. Just liked the full color dash better. One of many changes to the Jeep.
Gregj

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2018 Sport S, I swapped the instrument cluster for a Rubicon cluster 17,000 miles ago. Just liked the full color dash better. One of many changes to the Jeep.
Gregj
Ahh. That'll be interesting as to how they do it, or if they can do it. Keep us posted!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I received a similar letter for my '18. I'm intrigued.

I have to laugh at "this clutch defect may look similar to a previous clutch defect"

They've been throwing everything at this problem other than addressing the actual problem and redesigning the clutches

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Got my notice this week...just got back from the local dealer...I'm going out of town and wanted to schedule the recall work for July 30th or later...was informed they are currently making appointments for September.....guess I will wait a little longer then...good stuff....but, September is definitely later....so. Quick call to Prince Frederick Jeep in Solomons...good to go. Super helpful staff, had to take a picture of the recall notice, as the VIN printed on the sheet was incorrect...They got it sorted...said less than an hour should be all it takes. Fingers crossed it really is that simple. Will find out July 30th...so, I'm getting a number indicator to know what gear I'm in...hmm...can't say that I've ever had an issue knowing that with a manual...but, whatever.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Well.. I guess I'll bring mine in and complain that 2nd gear is now going out. Won't stay in 2nd gear about 50% of the time :-(

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well.. I guess I'll bring mine in and complain that 2nd gear is now going out. Won't stay in 2nd gear about 50% of the time :-(
Hi Rodeoflyer,
We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns. If you are in need of additional support while in service, please let us know. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional assistance while in service.

Rob
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Any thoughts?
Gregj
Hi Gregj,
We recommend visiting your dealer to see if this recall can be performed. To our understanding of the recall procedure, you should be able to perform the recall. However, we rely on our dealership's service departments to diagnose and determine the next course of action.

Rob
Jeep Cares

Ryparks

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Jeeps in the shop getting a new clutch under warranty- slipping and burning. Pressure plate issue. Finally- fourth time I had taken it in saying the clutch was an issue.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps in the shop getting a new clutch under warranty- slipping and burning. Pressure plate issue. Finally- fourth time I had taken it in saying the clutch was an issue.
That's great news that they recognize this wasn't normal and are finally doing somthing about it. It'll feel like a whole new Jeep if they get it right this time, and I expect they will.
Sponsored