DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My clutch cylinder failed at 13K. I've read of a few others failing at lower miles as well. I'm not sure what's involved with replacing it, but.. I'm not looking forward to finding out when my warranty expires.
Slave cylinder is where the problem was that caused the first recall. Where did you read about it? I've not seen anyone on this forum with one that failed. Maybe I missed it.

The original recall was more about the slave cylinder not being properly bled rather than failing. But on the other hand slave cylinder failures are one of the most common for any manual transmission. Hopefully they will get you fixed up. And remember, your warranty goes well beyond the 36k warranty.

If you are unfortunate and it fails again, it should not be super expensive. I replaced one on my JK for about $300 back in 2015, including labor, at a Jeep dealer. Not the end of the world. I'd expect that to be $500 to $600 in today's money, again, at the dealership, which will have the worst pricing.
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Where did you read about it? I've not seen anyone on this forum with one that failed. Maybe I missed it.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clutch-failure-again.56985/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...how-my-clutch-pedal-failed.67329/post-1422152

I'm sure there were more, I just grabbed a couple from the first page or two of search results. I hope it's not a poorly designed/built part and it's just an unlucky manufacturing defect.. but when you see something several times on a forum, on a lower production configuration (manuals are like 15000 per year, ish, right?), one assumes it's happening a lot more out in the wild.

Edit: I did want to note that both cylinders were replaced under warranty, but I'm doing like 1000 miles per year now, so, I'm assuming my warranty will expire long before I put enough miles on to give them much action.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clutch-failure-again.56985/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...how-my-clutch-pedal-failed.67329/post-1422152

I'm sure there were more, I just grabbed a couple from the first page or two of search results. I hope it's not a poorly designed/built part and it's just an unlucky manufacturing defect.. but when you see something several times on a forum, on a lower production configuration (manuals are like 15000 per year, ish, right?), one assumes it's happening a lot more out in the wild.

Edit: I did want to note that both cylinders were replaced under warranty, but I'm doing like 1000 miles per year now, so, I'm assuming my warranty will expire long before I put enough miles on to give them much action.
Thanks for drawing my attention to those. I did miss them. However, one looks like a master cylinder and the other refers to the slave cylinder, so those are two different thing. The good news is that they are not expensive. Labor would be the bulk of the cost. I don't think they are hard to get to, though. Just have to make sure they are correctly bled when installed. They weren't uncommon failures in JK's, either.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/clutch-slave-cylinder-jl-jt-04581906AB

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/clutch-master-cylinder-jl-jt-04581905AB

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Any new news on Y07?
Greetings,
Yes, we expect the owner letters to mail in July. Hope this information helps.
Rob
Jeep Cares

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Thanks for drawing my attention to those. I did miss them. However, one looks like a master cylinder and the other refers to the slave cylinder, so those are two different thing. The good news is that they are not expensive. Labor would be the bulk of the cost. I don't think they are hard to get to, though. Just have to make sure they are correctly bled when installed. They weren't uncommon failures in JK's, either.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/clutch-slave-cylinder-jl-jt-04581906AB

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/clutch-master-cylinder-jl-jt-04581905AB
yeah, I don't know which one (or both?) actually failed on mine, the dealer replaced them both. Good to know they're not difficult to replace outside of the bleed procedure, but.. I'm good enough at figuring those kinds of things out.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, I don't know which one (or both?) actually failed on mine, the dealer replaced them both. Good to know they're not difficult to replace outside of the bleed procedure, but.. I'm good enough at figuring those kinds of things out.
I'm guessing the bleed isn't particularly hard. I think that the factory workers just are not mechanics and if there is a flaw in the training or process, they don't realize they've made an error. I know that in response to the issue that triggered the recall they went back and discovered the problem in the bleeding procedure and corrected it.

I'll be replacing mine myself, too, if it ever fails, so whoever winds up first around here can hopefully post a how to video! Lol!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Any new news on Y07?
Greetings,
Yes, we expect the owner letters to mail in July. Hope this information helps.
Rob
Jeep Cares

robertsj22

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited sport soon i hope
I am in the market for a used JL. After searching around I’ve found that dealerships are not selling any with the manual until the recall is fixed. This is annoying as hell. How can they just say we are working on it. Hell it was easier to make a covid vaccine than fix a transmission.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I am in the market for a used JL. After searching around I’ve found that dealerships are not selling any with the manual until the recall is fixed. This is annoying as hell. How can they just say we are working on it. Hell it was easier to make a covid vaccine than fix a transmission.
Im probably going to end up getting rid of my manual lease and going with an auto / hardtop when I get rid of it. Hopefully by then they fix the corrosion issue.

Sponsored

robertsj22

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited sport soon i hope
Im probably going to end up getting rid of my manual lease and going with an auto / hardtop when I get rid of it. Hopefully by then they fix the corrosion issue.
I’m curious as to why the auto vs manual

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
I have both. I hate autos in general, but the JL auto is the first I've ever driven that I actually like (not that it's thrilling, but I don't feel like it's always working against me).

In contrast, this manual is the worst MT I've ever driven... Ignoring the mechanical failures/recalls, it just requires too much babying to get smooth shifts out of it and the gearing is.. I dunno... wrong? for this engine... It sucks the enjoyment out of it for me.

If I don't keep my manual at the end of the lease, I won't be getting another MT JL... It's really kind of a bummer that I'm debating not keeping it, mostly because of the screwball clutch.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I'm at the same reasoning with the other guy. Most of my cars have been manual trans since I was 16. I'm 29 now and I've had Acuras, Fords, C7 Corvette, New MK7 Jetta, New JLU Wrangler.

The fact that my rusty manual 1997 Ford Ranger with 205k miles and very little maintenance feels miles better than my JLU Clutch is pretty disappointing.

I don't know if it's just mine, but the feel is non-existent. It's like a two stage clutch. The top half has more resistance vs. the bottom half. It's already feather light and it's just the most annoying clutch I've ever used. It's pretty unpredictable and while it cold I can feel this gritty grind feel. I also offroad a lot and going over anything. Even steep hills makes my clutch difficult to navigate. I just can't get used to the two stage resistance and non-existent feel to it. You have to time it just right or you will stall. But it's hard to time it because you don't know when it's going to grab. Especially in reverse. I've grown to just "know" when it's going to grab. Instead of actually feeling it. I also agree with the other guy that the gearing feels wrong. I have a base Sport and being new to Jeeps. I thought it was a Jeep thing when I bought it new. It should have more aggressive gearing from the factory. 1st is fine, but any other gear past that is just dead and too long.

My Jeep is the funnest and most comfortable car Ive owned. But I find myself complaining about it more than I enjoy it.

The manual transmission / clutch and gearing is a major reason.

TheKeither

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's Sport
I'm at the same reasoning with the other guy. Most of my cars have been manual trans since I was 16. I'm 29 now and I've had Acuras, Fords, C7 Corvette, New MK7 Jetta, New JLU Wrangler.

The fact that my rusty manual 1997 Ford Ranger with 205k miles and very little maintenance feels miles better than my JLU Clutch is pretty disappointing.

I don't know if it's just mine, but the feel is non-existent. It's like a two stage clutch. The top half has more resistance vs. the bottom half. It's already feather light and it's just the most annoying clutch I've ever used. It's pretty unpredictable and while it cold I can feel this gritty grind feel. I also offroad a lot and going over anything. Even steep hills makes my clutch difficult to navigate. I just can't get used to the two stage resistance and non-existent feel to it. You have to time it just right or you will stall. But it's hard to time it because you don't know when it's going to grab. Especially in reverse. I've grown to just "know" when it's going to grab. Instead of actually feeling it. I also agree with the other guy that the gearing feels wrong. I have a base Sport and being new to Jeeps. I thought it was a Jeep thing when I bought it new. It should have more aggressive gearing from the factory. 1st is fine, but any other gear past that is just dead and too long.

My Jeep is the funnest and most comfortable car Ive owned. But I find myself complaining about it more than I enjoy it.

The manual transmission / clutch and gearing is a major reason.
I get what your saying. I've been driving MT since I was 14 on my grandfathers farm. Now, I've had way crappier cars than you, but I have had manual since I was 17, and I'm now 47.

This clutch is waaaaaaaaaaaaay different than any I've driven. Now, I've only had it two weeks, but I finally "get" the clutch. And the transmission. Now that I have done a couple of weeks of trips back and forth to work, I have retrained my brain on how to drive this thing.

It is NOT a six speed manual. Its a 5-speed with an overdrive. Sixth is a highway gear. Coming from my 2010 mazda3, I would get that thing is 6th as soon as possible to get maximum fuel economy. I was getting on average 30 mpg.

With the wrangler I am driving so much in 3rd and 4th. And still averaging 22 mpg (I have the 3.6L non-etorque). Once I realized that, I dont give a damn what gear I'm in, I just listen to the engine and change as needed.

I probably shift more now than I ever did, but that's why I got the manual, to work with the machine to get where I'm going.

All this to say......YMMV. :LOL: But, I'm enjoying the journey.....
Sponsored