Sponsored

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
It seems to be the case that there is a sensor but no display option and, after the flash, the current gear is displayed (though I don't know in which screens) with no option to turn it off. There are plenty of sensors not displayed and it seems reasonable to avoid wasting screen space on something that is physically obvious ("You have the clutch pressed!") and affected directly by the driver ("You just moved a physical lever which led to the transmission registering 5th gear").

Sooooo... where's my little dial counter showing how much time remains before the intermittent wipers fire? :idea:
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
My unfounded bet on the difference... is that 2018-2020 only has a simple neutral sense switch. I do know that it can sense neutral because during an auto start/stop event, I have shifted into gear without using the clutch. This causes a warning to be displayed on the dash asking for me to fix the issue. I always found this funny. Anyways, knowing our manufacturer, they wouldn't install anything more complex/expensive than needed, so a neutral switch is my bet.

Then, knowing this issue, they probably upgraded the sensor to a full gear position sensor for 2021s. Making it easy to apply their software fix.

For the rest of us, it's going to take time to work out the calculation methods to reliably know the gear without a full position sensor. ... again, just my guess.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
It seems to be the case that there is a sensor but no display option and, after the flash, the current gear is displayed (though I don't know in which screens) with no option to turn it off. There are plenty of sensors not displayed and it seems reasonable to avoid wasting screen space on something that is physically obvious ("You have the clutch pressed!") and affected directly by the driver ("You just moved a physical lever which led to the transmission registering 5th gear").

Sooooo... where's my little dial counter showing how much time remains before the intermittent wipers fire? :idea:
So what is the purpose of this gear position sensor on our highly sophisticated machines? It is there doing what? No, not buying your argument :bandit:

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
So what is the purpose of this gear position sensor on our highly sophisticated machines? It is there doing what? No, not buying your argument :bandit:
Most likely part of the engine control logic. For example, 3/4 throttle at lower RPMs in 1st or 2nd gear is normally a very transient condition. You will soon shift or the RPMs will rapidly reach a higher level. However in 5th or 6th gear this condition could go on for hours as you are cruising on the hi-way, perhaps with a headwind. I would expect the amount ignition timing is advanced to be slightly different between those two conditions for emissions and engine durability considerations.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Most likely part of the engine control logic. For example, 3/4 throttle at lower RPMs in 1st or 2nd gear is normally a very transient condition. You will soon shift or the RPMs will rapidly reach a higher level. However in 5th or 6th gear this condition could go on for hours as you are cruising on the hi-way, perhaps with a headwind. I would expect the amount ignition timing is advanced to be slightly different between those two conditions for emissions and engine durability considerations.
That sounds more like my BMW ( which also displays the gear on the screen). In my Jeep I think it is more of Neutral or not Neutral position. But I hope you are right.
have you followed the saga of the airplane manufacturer that decided to fix a hardware issue with software? It hasn’t gone well for them at all.:facepalm:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
That sounds more like my BMW ( which also displays the gear on the screen). In my Jeep I think it is more of Neutral or not Neutral position. But I hope you are right.
have you followed the saga of the airplane manufacturer that decided to fix a hardware issue with software? It hasn’t gone well for them at all.:facepalm:
LOL!

jczippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
There is the warning/chime you get when moving the shifter all the way to the left while still going 25+ mph to let you know you can’t shift to 1st. That mean it knows more than just neutral, right?

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Someone should remove the cable and see if the backup camera comes on when the shifter is in reverse or when the transmission is. :idea:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a minute. Did I read correctly that the software update to detune engine torque isn’t available for 2018-2020 model years? I’m at the dealer now getting my steel steering gear installed and the service manager’s computer said to do the Y07 PCM software update to detune engine torque. I have a 2019 JLR with manual transmission. I already told him I didn’t want it done this time and I may come get it done later.

Sponsored

KPersCO

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon, '13 WRX Wagon
Occupation
Engineer
Wait a minute. Did I read correctly that the software update to detune engine torque isn’t available for 2018-2020 model years? I’m at the dealer now getting my steel steering gear installed and the service manager’s computer said to do the Y07 PCM software update to detune engine torque. I have a 2019 JLR with manual transmission. I already told him I didn’t want it done this time and I may come get it done later.
See post #252 no love for us for a while yet

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
do the Y07 PCM software update to detune engine torque. I have a 2019 JLR with manual transmission. I already told him I didn’t want it done this time and I may come get it done later.
Love to hear the outcome of this one :)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is available for 2021 models. 2018-2020 models got separated into another campaign, Y07. The flash isn't ready for Y07 yet.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Any new news on Y07?

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Back to old business for a minute: I noticed some oil spots in my driveway, under the driver side plastic front fender. Well, well, well, the leak is brake/clutch fluid, coming from the vicinity of the clutch cylinder. I had the first recall done, when it wasn't leaking. It didn't leak for months after that, either; but now I have lost a half inch of brake fluid. I called my dealer, and the service writer, who was very pleasant and professional, had no absolutely clue in the world about the significance of the leak and was able to fit me in, two weeks from now. It's like a flash back to my '97 Wrangler with 217K on it: Just keep feeding it fluid until the repair can be made......Only difference it THIS vehicle only has 9800 miles....

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Back to old business for a minute: I noticed some oil spots in my driveway, under the driver side plastic front fender. Well, well, well, the leak is brake/clutch fluid, coming from the vicinity of the clutch cylinder. I had the first recall done, when it wasn't leaking. It didn't leak for months after that, either; but now I have lost a half inch of brake fluid. I called my dealer, and the service writer, who was very pleasant and professional, had no absolutely clue in the world about the significance of the leak and was able to fit me in, two weeks from now. It's like a flash back to my '97 Wrangler with 217K on it: Just keep feeding it fluid until the repair can be made......Only difference it THIS vehicle only has 9800 miles....
My clutch cylinder failed at 13K. I've read of a few others failing at lower miles as well. I'm not sure what's involved with replacing it, but.. I'm not looking forward to finding out when my warranty expires.
Sponsored