Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I have been thru both of the the forums about the clutch recall. I understand the temperature will be a "calculation" based on other readings form the vehicle. I have not seen anything in the thread about tire size. This has a HUGE effect on the calculation. I have a Sahara and put on the Rubi Wheels and tires, I have not make the change to the ECU -- Threrefore, the Jeep is going faster then it really is ! I would assume this will cause problems with the calculation. Am I wrong ?? If not, then the dealer will need to mkae the update for the tire size, AND in the future when you change tire size it will cause problems ! ! Again, please someone correct me if I am wrong.
Ok i'll do it... make -made , threrefore-therefore , mkae-make, ur welcome..
On serious note ur absolutely right , this physical fault should not be covered up by just a bunch of code. I see this all the time to the point that @Work they tell me cut off the battery to see if the tires will magically inflate.
Sponsored

EXPLR_WA

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I have a 2018 manual JLU. My previous Jeep was 95 YJ manual I had for 25 years. The original pressure plate in the 2018 was horrible. I thought I forgot how to drive a stick. It was overheating all the time. Nothing like the smell of a burning clutch. After the first recall to replace the pressure plate, driving was what I expected it should be. It was smooth shifting and no more burning. I did just get the software update. The only thing I've noticed it that it seems smoother starting out in first. Or I'm finally just getting the clutch broken in.

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Just got my 2021 in Jan. Did a lot of working the clutch in two feet of snow and trying to get up property road many times in Feb. I burned a little fresh clutch there- smelled it a little.
Don't know if that is normal, but now it seems to be fine and much smoother. I think there is a working in period that the flywheel always catches a little rougher with a new one.....though someone else chime in.....?

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I have a 2018 manual JLU... I did just get the software update.
Are you saying you got the software update being discussed in this thread? I thought the update was only currently available for 2021 models, and that the update for the 2018-2020 hadn't been released yet.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Are you saying you got the software update being discussed in this thread? I thought the update was only currently available for 2021 models, and that the update for the 2018-2020 hadn't been released yet.
You are correct. I think he is mistaken. JeepCares confirmed last week that the fix for us is 30 days away... ie end of April.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You are correct. I think he is mistaken. JeepCares confirmed last week that the fix for us is 30 days away... ie end of April.
I think I said greater than 30 days... it most likely will not be the end of April.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I have a 2018 manual JLU. My previous Jeep was 95 YJ manual I had for 25 years. The original pressure plate in the 2018 was horrible. I thought I forgot how to drive a stick. It was overheating all the time. Nothing like the smell of a burning clutch. After the first recall to replace the pressure plate, driving was what I expected it should be. It was smooth shifting and no more burning. I did just get the software update. The only thing I've noticed it that it seems smoother starting out in first. Or I'm finally just getting the clutch broken in.
That's good to hear.
I sometimes have issues starting smoothly in first. This clutch is a little different.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
So, sometime in June?
This makes you wonder what the differences are between the 2018-2020s and the 2021s that require the extra time for a software patch. It seems like the fix would be very similar but there must be something else going on.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
This makes you wonder what the differences are between the 2018-2020s and the 2021s that require the extra time for a software patch. It seems like the fix would be very similar but there must be something else going on.
So far we know 2021 got a sensor to tell what gear the transmission is on, ours donā€™t have that. They may have even added a temperature sensor, who knows. But it seems they are struggling with a solution based on software alone. At this pace, a new design for the clutch will come out about the same time.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
So far we know 2021 got a sensor to tell what gear the transmission is on, ours donā€™t have that. They may have even added a temperature sensor, who knows. But it seems they are struggling with a solution based on software alone. At this pace, a new design for the clutch will come out about the same time.
The 2018 schematics show a shifter position sensor, why do you think there isn't one?

I assume the delay is due to the different software versions, that the patched firmware in my 2018 is different from updated 2021 firmware and adding the function as a patch is different than changing the base firmware.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
The 2018 schematics show a shifter position sensor, why do you think there isn't one?

I assume the delay is due to the different software versions, that the patched firmware in my 2018 is different from updated 2021 firmware and adding the function as a patch is different than changing the base firmware.
I stand corrected if someone has seen the gear positioning sensor. As to why I think ( or thought) there isnā€™t one, why would you have a sensor and not use it to show the current gear in the screen like all other cars with such a sensor do.,Like the 2021 does now? But that also may be a challenge for the gurus writing this software. I donā€™t know.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I stand corrected if someone has seen the gear positioning sensor. As to why I think ( or thought) there isnā€™t one, why would you have a sensor and not use it to show the current gear in the screen like all other cars with such a sensor do.,Like the 2021 does now? But that also may be a challenge for the gurus writing this software. I donā€™t know.
this is interesting. There is a sensor but it's not activated? Not even a setting in connect?
Sponsored