First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Interesting topic. I'm going to guess the majority of people hold the clutch at a stop light and there are lots of opinions out there about how harmful it really is. For sure it adds wear to the clutch assembly but running the engine adds wear too ;) For me it all depends how long I'll be sitting in one spot, if it's only 15-30 seconds I'll keep it depressed all the way, more than that and I'll get left leg lazy (pop into neutral).
I suspect the unusual way the inner disk is driven causes a little extra drag when you do this. I for one will put it in neutral at stop lights. Here is a link to my analysis:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ch-pressure-plate.47887/page-108#post-1407322
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a 2018 JLU, the pressure plate exploded at 15,000 miles, It happened late on a Saturday 250 miles from home. No dealership was open. I had it towed home and to my local dealership. It has been there since Jan 4, they said the parts have been on back order. They called this week and said the parts had arrived but when they removed the transmission to do the repair they noticed a hole in the transmission. Now they canā€™t tell me when I can get my Jeep. I am thoroughly upset with my dealership for not inspecting everything when it first arrived.
I am so sorry to read this! If you'd like us to look into this for you, send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

JeepJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Just went to the dealer and had the recall addressed. Itā€™s just a flash of the computer but I notice that now the instrument cluster is showing what gear Iā€™m in (6 speed manual). I canā€™t see how to delete it. Itā€™s annoying AF

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Just went to the dealer and had the recall addressed. Itā€™s just a flash of the computer but I notice that now the instrument cluster is showing what gear Iā€™m in (6 speed manual). I canā€™t see how to delete it. Itā€™s annoying AF
Ugh, that is annoying.

The $100,000 question: any difference in the way it drives?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Can you show a picture of that? I wonder how the PCM knows what gear the shifter is in?

Sponsored

JeepJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Ugh, that is annoying.

The $100,000 question: any difference in the way it drives?
No difference that I can tell, I can only guess that itā€™ll change when doing any heavy off roading requiring heavy clutch usage but to be honest, the dealership has no information as to why or under what circumstances this recall was necessary

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
2021 JLU Sport manual here.
I just had the IPC and PCM software updates done.
No noticeable differences other than what I think is smoother shifts between neutral to first and first to second gear and the instrument cluster now indicating what gear you are in.

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
instrument cluster update shows gear in neutral right above odometer reading

Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Notice 21V-028 [1/28/21]: Manual Transmission / Clutch Overheat Covers All 2018-2021 Jeep Wranglers Produced by January 22, 2021 9E390721-5BD1-4144-8754-DAC086275337

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Q1: Do you ever sit at a light with the transmission in gear and clutch depressed?

Q2: Do you lightly rest your foot on the clutch while driving?

Q3: Do you sometimes start in 3rd by accident (I do this on my JK)?
That's funny as I have driven well over 700,000 miles in manual transmission cars over the past 35 years and I have always done #1 - I never put the transmission in neutral unless it's something like a train where I know I will be there idling for several minutes.

#3 should be no issue if you have sufficient torque; arguably starting in a higher gear causes less wear on the clutch.

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
That's funny as I have driven well over 700,000 miles in manual transmission cars over the past 35 years and I have always done #1 - I never put the transmission in neutral unless it's something like a train where I know I will be there idling for several minutes.
Yep, lots of people do this. But I can pretty much guarantee you none of those vehicles had a clutch designed like the JL.

#3 should be no issue if you have sufficient torque; arguably starting in a higher gear causes less wear on the clutch.
OK, so I'll argue with you :)
By that reasoning starting in 6th would be even easier on the clutch. The fact is starting in first with minimal slippage of the clutch as you move up through the gears gives the least wear. But I take your point, there are times when a 3rd gear start is best, such as in low range offroad getting ready to climb a steep hill.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
If Toyota built a Wrangler clone to sell to the public, with Toyotaā€™s quality and longevity do you think Jeep would be more careful to produce a solid Wrangler?

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
They didnā€™t seem to react to the FJ Cruiser, which will do most of the things a Wrangler will off-road without complaint.

However the new Bronco comes much closer to the Wrangler in terms of functionality and style.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If Toyota built a Wrangler clone to sell to the public, with Toyotaā€™s quality and longevity do you think Jeep would be more careful to produce a solid Wrangler?
no

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
Funny - that was a feature on the GTI we traded in - one of the first things my wife asked when she started driving the JLU was, "Is there a gear indicator like in the GTI?" - she'll actually be happy with this!
Sponsored