Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
They didn't, it was a mistake on the dealer's part. The flash isn't available for anyone yet.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
That dealer needs serious help - claimed to do a flash that isn't available yet and was going to do an air bag recall that doesn't apply to Wranglers.
Sponsored

Joaozao

First Name
Joao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
That dealer needs serious help - claimed to do a flash that isn't available yet and was going to do an air bag recall that doesn't apply to Wranglers.
I have yet to find a decent Jeep dealer. First and last jeep what a nightmare.

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
Now if it was actually done I have no clue but it does seem like the revs don't hang between shifts anymore. (I have a 6 speed '19 JLU).

20210210_213338~2.jpg
That is exactly what mine does also, the revs 'hang'. Great description. When I take mine in for the clutch I'm going to mention that.

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
Wait... Clutches are burning up and they're going to use software to fix it?... That smells like a burning clutch to me.

Claiming the clutch is operating as it should and that torque needs to be reduced via software to keep it from catching on fire doesn't make any sense.

I don't want my torque reduced when the clutch gets hot, I want a heavy-er duty clutch.

What's going to happen if my clutch gets a fever while I'm climbing a hill? Is my torque just going to leave me hanging? When did clutches start getting sick leave?

RomeroAG001

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willys 2 Dr
Hi everyone, there has been a lot of questions and different threads so I am going to post this and you may see the same info posted on other threads:

Towing capacity or performance will not be affected by this flash update.

There is no difference in the 3.6L engine's power output under "normal circumstances" with the Y01 flash. The torque reduction only happens if the engine controller calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature is above a certain temperature threshold.

The PCM monitors the engine RPM and the wheel speed sensors to determine if clutch slippage is occurring, how often, and at what intensity. Based on that information, the PCM calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature. The temperature threshold that reduces the engine torque is lower than the temperature needed to do permanent pressure plate damage. The vehicle cannot reach or exceed the temperature threshold under normal operating conditions, including towing and off-roading, and only occurs if the driver repeatedly slips the clutch, performs multiple, consecutive 2nd or 3rd gear launches, or if air is present in the hydraulic clutch system.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares
First of all, thank you Kaitlin for the detailed response. My factory order was completed two weeks ago and now the Jeep is sitting in Ohio waiting on this software “fix.” Will Jeep allow customers to pivot over to a new order with an automatic transmission? As you can imagine, all the talk of uncontained clutch explosions and fires does not give one the warm and fuzzy when purchasing a new vehicle. As an alternative, will jeep consider extending the $1,500 incentive on the Gladiator to the manual Jeeps as compensation for the delay and loss of perceived value? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares
First of all, thank you Kaitlin for the detailed response. My factory order was completed two weeks ago and now the Jeep is sitting in Ohio waiting on this software “fix.” Will Jeep allow customers to pivot over to a new order with an automatic transmission? As you can imagine, all the talk of uncontained clutch explosions and fires does not give one the warm and fuzzy when purchasing a new vehicle. As an alternative, will jeep consider extending the $1,500 incentive on the Gladiator to the manual Jeeps as compensation for the delay and loss of perceived value? Thanks in advance.
Since your vehicle has already been built, we aren't able to switch you over to an automatic transmission. You could cancel your order through your dealer and place another one, I have seen some people do that.
We don't have any plans to extend the incentive but if that changes I will follow up.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Doc Boston

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Chiming in here - as I'm one with an order that's sitting at the dealership today that I can't "buy". I ordered my 2021 JLUR in mid-december, and watched it go through the manufacturing process. It shipped from Toledo on the 22nd of January, and sat at the rail yard for over a week before being released to the dealership. The challenge is that the dealership cannot release it to me because of the open recall. It's great to see @JeepCares on this page - the dealership says that the update will be available next week, but I'm hearing that the public notices and update availability might be March 19th. That leaves my Jeep at the dealership for a full month - any update as to when the Y01 will be available to dealerships to update vehicles? I've been without a vehicle since mid-December, and want to plan accordingly. Cheers!

RomeroAG001

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willys 2 Dr
The devil is in the details; I would like some facts on what this software update actually does. At what temperature (or theoretical temp based on difference between engine and wheel speed over time) will the computer limit power? Will the vehicle go into full-on limp mode by limiting fuel and retarding timing? This will let owners know exactly how neutered their engines will be and when. Is there a failsafe to override the limp mode? How does jeep know the computer wont limit power when an inexperienced driver slips the clutch while waiting to make a left turn across oncoming traffic and the computer cuts power and causes a t-bone? There are a lot of questions here that Jeep needs to answer so that buyers/owners can deal with the facts. Its all a bunch of non-information like “limit torque” at “a certain temperature threshold.” How about some hard facts Jeep? You owe us that much.

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
I have a 2019 and have noticed a couple times the ribs winding up. I thought it was just me not hearing the exhaust and getting off the clutch quick enough. Other than that I have had no issues with my sick speed. I also called jeep cares as soon as I heard about this recall and the torque reduction. I am thankful that I was given A consistent answer with what they have said here. That makes me believe it is more accurate. I think that I will get the flash or not and not worry about it. The stats of those that have had issues or even more caught on fire are minimal. If I can make it through this past year I really don’t have any concerns going forward.

Sponsored

Jeff Farmer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
There has been prior notices issued for this (and discussed in depth here), but this latest one expands out to dates # of vehicles affected.

Recall notice: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V028-2204.PDF

Some 2018-2021 MY Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with manual transmissions may experience overheating of the clutch intermediate pressure plate. Extreme overheating may cause the clutch to fracture.
The suspect period began on August 23, 2017, when production of Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with manual transmissions started, and concluded on January 22, 2021, when shipment of Jeep Wrangler vehicles with manual transmissions ended.
Similar vehicles not included in the recall are not equipped with manual transmissions.
The total affected vehicles for this model is 36,692.
Production Dates : AUG 23, 2017 - JAN 22, 2021
I have a 2018 JLU, the pressure plate exploded at 15,000 miles, It happened late on a Saturday 250 miles from home. No dealership was open. I had it towed home and to my local dealership. It has been there since Jan 4, they said the parts have been on back order. They called this week and said the parts had arrived but when they removed the transmission to do the repair they noticed a hole in the transmission. Now they can’t tell me when I can get my Jeep. I am thoroughly upset with my dealership for not inspecting everything when it first arrived.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I have a 2018 JLU, the pressure plate exploded at 15,000 miles, It happened late on a Saturday 250 miles from home. No dealership was open. I had it towed home and to my local dealership. It has been there since Jan 4, they said the parts have been on back order. They called this week and said the parts had arrived but when they removed the transmission to do the repair they noticed a hole in the transmission. Now they can’t tell me when I can get my Jeep. I am thoroughly upset with my dealership for not inspecting everything when it first arrived.
Thanks for posting @Jeff Farmer - as far as I know you are the only person posting that's actually had this happen. Do you have any driving habits that might be a contributing factor? Not judging, just trying to figure out how to keep from getting stranded myself!

Q1: Do you ever sit at a light with the transmission in gear and clutch depressed?

Q2: Do you lightly rest your foot on the clutch while driving?

Q3: Do you sometimes start in 3rd by accident (I do this on my JK)?

Jeff Farmer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Thanks for posting @Jeff Farmer - as far as I know you are the only person posting that's actually had this happen. Do you have any driving habits that might be a contributing factor? Not judging, just trying to figure out how to keep from getting stranded myself!

Q1: Do you ever sit at a light with the transmission in gear and clutch depressed?

Q2: Do you lightly rest your foot on the clutch while driving?

Q3: Do you sometimes start in 3rd by accident (I do this on my JK)?
I was going about 60 on a 4 lane when this happened. I do hold the clutch in while at a red light.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I do hold the clutch in while at a red light.
My best friend is 72 years old and does that too. He's been doing it all his life and never had a problem. I suspect that the unusual design of this clutch doesn't like it much, just a FYI.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
My best friend is 72 years old and does that too. He's been doing it all his life and never had a problem. I suspect that the unusual design of this clutch doesn't like it much, just a FYI.
Interesting topic. I'm going to guess the majority of people hold the clutch at a stop light and there are lots of opinions out there about how harmful it really is. For sure it adds wear to the clutch assembly but running the engine adds wear too ;) For me it all depends how long I'll be sitting in one spot, if it's only 15-30 seconds I'll keep it depressed all the way, more than that and I'll get left leg lazy (pop into neutral).
Sponsored