Sponsored

khramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat, 2013
There has been prior notices issued for this (and discussed in depth here), but this latest one expands out to dates # of vehicles affected.

Recall notice: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V028-2204.PDF

Some 2018-2021 MY Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with manual transmissions may experience overheating of the clutch intermediate pressure plate. Extreme overheating may cause the clutch to fracture.
The suspect period began on August 23, 2017, when production of Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with manual transmissions started, and concluded on January 22, 2021, when shipment of Jeep Wrangler vehicles with manual transmissions ended.
Similar vehicles not included in the recall are not equipped with manual transmissions.
The total affected vehicles for this model is 36,692.
Production Dates : AUG 23, 2017 - JAN 22, 2021
Thank you! Took delivery of my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, Manual on Jan 29th, 21!!
Not sure what to do about this recall, since its voluntary. In a dilemma whether to ride it out till it fails or take it and have the dealer fix the issue! Driven close to 800 miles as of today!
On a anotber issue the radio reception and sound quality in both AM and FM sucks. Didnt expect it to be so poor!
Please advise Thx.
Ramesh
Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Notice 21V-028 [1/28/21]: Manual Transmission / Clutch Overheat Covers All 2018-2021 Jeep Wranglers Produced by January 22, 2021 20210202_110258
Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Notice 21V-028 [1/28/21]: Manual Transmission / Clutch Overheat Covers All 2018-2021 Jeep Wranglers Produced by January 22, 2021 20210202_110234
Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Notice 21V-028 [1/28/21]: Manual Transmission / Clutch Overheat Covers All 2018-2021 Jeep Wranglers Produced by January 22, 2021 20210202_092523
Sponsored

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
2019 w/ 39k, no issues. Come what may, when the clutch explodes Iā€™ll worry about it.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ll wait for the revised centerforce clutch and replace the stock with that eventually. Iā€™m aware of some of the issues, but trust them to work out the kinks.
I have a ā€˜19 with 43k miles and no problems to date (passed initial recall with the clutch dump test). I do my own work, and have a great Indy shop for the few things I canā€™t do myself.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi everyone, there has been a lot of questions and different threads so I am going to post this and you may see the same info posted on other threads:

Towing capacity or performance will not be affected by this flash update.

There is no difference in the 3.6L engine's power output under "normal circumstances" with the Y01 flash. The torque reduction only happens if the engine controller calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature is above a certain temperature threshold.

The PCM monitors the engine RPM and the wheel speed sensors to determine if clutch slippage is occurring, how often, and at what intensity. Based on that information, the PCM calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature. The temperature threshold that reduces the engine torque is lower than the temperature needed to do permanent pressure plate damage. The vehicle cannot reach or exceed the temperature threshold under normal operating conditions, including towing and off-roading, and only occurs if the driver repeatedly slips the clutch, performs multiple, consecutive 2nd or 3rd gear launches, or if air is present in the hydraulic clutch system.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks Kaitlin - I appreciate the information. Is the "planned dealer notification date" (referenced above) the timing of when they are first able to perform the repair, and if not is there another info source I can track to find that rollout date so that I can stay on top of my dealer?
Yes, they are the same. You can check for updates at recalls.mopar.com too.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi everyone, there has been a lot of questions and different threads so I am going to post this and you may see the same info posted on other threads:

There is no difference in the 3.6L engine's power output under "normal circumstances" with the Y01 flash. The torque reduction only happens if the engine controller calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature is above a certain temperature threshold.

The PCM monitors the engine RPM and the wheel speed sensors to determine if clutch slippage is occurring, how often, and at what intensity. Based on that information, the PCM calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature. The temperature threshold that reduces the engine torque is lower than the temperature needed to do permanent pressure plate damage. The vehicle cannot reach or exceed the temperature threshold under normal operating conditions, including towing and off-roading, and only occurs if the driver repeatedly slips the clutch, performs multiple, consecutive 2nd or 3rd gear launches, or if air is present in the hydraulic clutch system.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Thank you very much for the explanation!

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
This new recall is a software update, there aren't any parts involved. The previous recall on the clutch was a part replacement (potentially). You should follow up with your dealership if you haven't already.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Received an update from my dealer via video (I love that they have the tech do a walk around and text it to you). There was a leak found between the brake master cylinder and brake fluid reservoir from the first recall being performed that they have now fixed by replacing the hose.

There's no "fix" i.e. PCM flash available yet for the new recall, so nothing is being performed at this time.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Now this is the info we needed to see. Thank you.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
So if I'm reading this right there's no updated fix outside of what the original notice had? This one just states it's a software issue? Please correct me if I'm insane.

Suppose this'll drive me to upgrade to Centerforce much quicker than I originally thought.
I have learned never to ask anyone to correct me if I am insane. They always think I am.

In another thread the idea was proposed that the software fix is a band-aid to allow Jeep engineers to complete a more thorough analysis and develop a final solution that may involve replacing the clutch, pressure plate and probably flywheel. No one has a good idea how they are going to determine that excess heat is being developed. They may look at speed differentials to identify slippage and then use an algorithm based on amount of time of slippage versus rpm and heat generation. I will be interested to see if they provide further clarification as we get closer to the recall being implemented.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Now this is the info we needed to see. Thank you.
That is fantastic information. Glad that JeepCares provided such a detailed response.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
wow, thatā€™s great info. Thank you

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thank you for the info. It's great to have a good explanation. In theory, we could just replace the clutch with an off-brand one and that will resolve the issue?

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Thank you for the info. It's great to have a good explanation. In theory, we could just replace the clutch with an off-brand one and that will resolve the issue?
Thatā€™s my question too...my PCM doesnā€™t speak Jeep anymore with the Magnuson SC, so my fix will have to be hardware.

jl18pumpkin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-door 2018 JL Rubicon
So if I'm reading this right there's no updated fix outside of what the original notice had? This one just states it's a software issue? Please correct me if I'm insane.

Suppose this'll drive me to upgrade to Centerforce much quicker than I originally thought.
Is Centerforce a company that provides an after market clutch that you like?
Sponsored