Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
So I just stopped by my dealer today for an annual inspection on my 2019 Sahara 6MT, and they had a recall come up. Something about a haudralic line/hose near the brake booster being loose. They deemed my Jeep unsafe to drive and stuck me in a rental pending a part coming in.

I've already had the "let dealer burn your clutch" recall done and passed, I don't know what this new one is.
So, The dealer should not have done the slip test if they didnt find any leaks from the slave cylinder pressure line. as far as im aware. That hydraulic line coming from the brake booster was suppose to be changed out and sleeved before that shitty clutch dump test. Someone dropped the ball. Do you still have the paper work from your original recall visit?
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm really hoping the new owners of Jeep, notorious Cost Cutters, don't decide to axe the manual transmission because sales are low enough to do so, and the proper repair will cost them big time.
I was thinking the same thing. This recall affects *every* manual JL sold to the tune of 43,000 of the 453,000 sold (not including '21 models). May not be worth it to continue the manual trans option. I guess that will make manual JL's more of a rarity...

2018 - 240,032 2019 - 228,042 2020 - 201,310

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
My "favorite" part of this is that dealers aren't getting notified until 3/19? So, we the public know about it, but are supposed to just let our clutches burn for a month? Ours was picked up at the dealer 1/8/21, so we've had exactly one month and under 1K on it. Bah.
Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Notice 21V-028 [1/28/21]: Manual Transmission / Clutch Overheat Covers All 2018-2021 Jeep Wranglers Produced by January 22, 2021 1612807755227

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
The reason I ask is that I plan to tow close to the current rated capacity.

Is Jeep eventually going to lower the towing capacity for manual transmissions because of this issue?

eta: @Kaitlin Thanks! I plan to order a manual in the next month or two so that's good to hear. Please update if you hear differently.

its the ā€œpressure Platesā€that heats up through excessive friction.....example:....excessive feathering/slipping pressure on the clutch.
if you release the clutch normally.....the friction plates ā€œHoldā€ each other and there is NO further friction to them.....no friction = no heat.
Towing will not add heat to the clutch friction plates......unless you are feathering or slipping the clutch more than necessary.
an automatic transmissionā€˜s torque converter IS designed to slip.
A manual transmissionā€™s clutch is designed to slip ONLY when engaging from a start.....& very little to none during shifting.
It should not affect towing capacity....but who knows what sorcery FCA will apply to their software updates.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I feel like a lot of people don't realize this is common practice for numerous vehicles (and computers). It only limits when a set temperature limit is hit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Notice 21V-028 [1/28/21]: Manual Transmission / Clutch Overheat Covers All 2018-2021 Jeep Wranglers Produced by January 22, 2021 1612810458563

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I feel like a lot of people don't realize this is common practice for numerous vehicles (and computers). It only limits when a set temperature limit is hit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Notice 21V-028 [1/28/21]: Manual Transmission / Clutch Overheat Covers All 2018-2021 Jeep Wranglers Produced by January 22, 2021 1612810458563
yeah but as many have pointed out thereā€™s no temp sensor at clutch, so the speculation (all we have for now) is that the flash will limit torque potential based on other parameters that may or may not well correlate to temp and may have broader impact to torque potential than just the actual temp-based risk scenario. Between this recall and the last...hard for me to accept that this is normal and in range for what buyers should just gladly accept. Iā€™m exploring new clutch options.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Does anyone know how long it's going to take to release the software fix for this recall? (21V-028) I have a brand new jeep sitting there at the dealer that they can't give me until this fix is installed (ordered Nov 8). Can they now not even sell any manual jeeps off the lot? I suppose that would motivate them to prioritize this. Any idea what's normal timing for something like this?
The repair is expected in March. Dealerships can't sell any cars with open recalls.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
The repair is expected in March. Dealerships can't sell any cars with open recalls.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
So how about my Jeep that I brought in for a NYS annual emission/safety inspection? The dealer stated the part needed was available nearby and should be repaired within a few days (assuming this is whatever needed to be done to the hydraulics). Should I expect my Jeep back this week? Or in March?

They also initially said they were doing a recall that just needed a PCM flash, but did not tell me anything about it or that they would de-tune the engine under certain conditions.

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
So, The dealer should not have done the slip test if they didnt find any leaks from the slave cylinder pressure line. as far as im aware. That hydraulic line coming from the brake booster was suppose to be changed out and sleeved before that shitty clutch dump test. Someone dropped the ball. Do you still have the paper work from your original recall visit?
I do, but it's in the Jeep that is currently sitting at the dealer. I'll have to look in more detail. I assumed they did the clutch dump as the recall was definitely "performed".

Sponsored

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Does this mean my new order is going to have the repair "engine detune" already applied? I ordered mid January.
Edit: Nevermind, just saw your post about the possible delay. Appreciate it.

dave_p

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-Door

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Thanks Kaitlin - I appreciate the information. Is the "planned dealer notification date" (referenced above) the timing of when they are first able to perform the repair, and if not is there another info source I can track to find that rollout date so that I can stay on top of my dealer?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So how about my Jeep that I brought in for a NYS annual emission/safety inspection? The dealer stated the part needed was available nearby and should be repaired within a few days (assuming this is whatever needed to be done to the hydraulics). Should I expect my Jeep back this week? Or in March?

They also initially said they were doing a recall that just needed a PCM flash, but did not tell me anything about it or that they would de-tune the engine under certain conditions.
This new recall is a software update, there aren't any parts involved. The previous recall on the clutch was a part replacement (potentially). You should follow up with your dealership if you haven't already.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
People have been burning up clutches since clutches were invented. A de-tune program fix would blow. A de-tune happened to my 2015 VW Golf s. The little turbo was causing issues and after it's recall the feel of the boost was gone. I still feel riped off, as in having less than I purchased, performance wise. It was noticeably diminished.

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously we have no clutch temperature sensor, just speculation but they probably use engine rpm, wheel speed and gear selection to determine if an unreasonable period of slip is occurring, and reduce torque based on that. I work on heavy trucks and that's essentially how all automated (usually air actuated) manual transmissions detect clutch slippage. Simple rationality check, once a certain amount of slip is exceeded it cuts power. It could serve as an early warning system for some that may not realize their clutch is slipping. Definitely doesn't address the problem with the actual assembly but it may not be as intrusive as we're building it up to be
Sponsored