Sponsored

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
That's a very good point. Towing = additional heat
The reason I ask is that I plan to tow close to the current rated capacity.

Is Jeep eventually going to lower the towing capacity for manual transmissions because of this issue?

eta: @Kaitlin Thanks! I plan to order a manual in the next month or two so that's good to hear. Please update if you hear differently.
Sponsored

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
My 2020 JLUR had the recall done for the original clutch recall that went out on these back in early 2020. Am I also affected by this?

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Hopefully you got a upgraded clutch instead of just a 'torque reducing' software tune. That would suck if the manuals transmissions are under engineered as this is one of the highlights of the JL being able to get a MT.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
No...There are legit defects with some of the clutches. I have owned 5 manuals previously and made it 170k miles on a Infiniti G35 clutch once. I didnt ride the JLU clutch or drive it hard and it started slipping at 25k miles and was replaced at 27k miles bc it failed the recall test. I know another knowledgeable person who was very easy on his jlu and his clutch needed to be replaced at 30k miles.
Agree with this. Mine was replaced at 19k. I never felt it slip, but the clutch never felt right. I assumed it was supposed to feel different until it was fixed, now it feels like a regular clutch.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
My 2020 JLUR had the recall done for the original clutch recall that went out on these back in early 2020. Am I also affected by this?
Yes

Sponsored

jmr2018

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, 1971 Super Bug Convrt.
Wow, another recall. I would have thought FCA would have figured out a clutch by now, not new tech, not even close. I'm still debating what I want to do with this thing as long-term reliability is suspect to me. First and probably last Wrangler. We paid for a vehicle with certain specifications and if FCA thinks that the only way to resolve a design flaw is to reduce torque I'm not buying it, seems like a low-cost fix vs. the correct fix... I smell a class-action lawsuit.

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
Agree with this. Mine was replaced at 19k. I never felt it slip, but the clutch never felt right. I assumed it was supposed to feel different until it was fixed, now it feels like a regular clutch.
Mine either. I also have had many manuals. I have stalled this vehicle more times than all the others combined, (5 total). Personally, and I know it's hydraulic, but it is so friggin' light. I swear you could push it down with your pinky. It also has a funny catch point and I ever seem to have the RPMs high enough even when I think I do.
I'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
No, the new “fix” is a PCM flash to reduce torque: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ting-clutch-pressure-plate.47887/post-1390584

It says voluntary recall. I, for one, do not volunteer to have my engine detuned. I’m at 2.5 years and 36,000 miles... clutch has been perfect since day one. I’m not fixing what ain’t broke (until some other guinea pigs report back, anyway).

Edit: In the other thread on this topic, people think I’m being serious with regard to not volunteering. Lest anyone take my joke as real advice, let me point out that “voluntary” means that Jeep is doing this recall in good faith, and is not being forced to do so by any regulatory agency. Owners can not actually volunteer or opt out of safety recalls. That said, I still don’t plan to get this done until I hear plenty of positive feedback.
I also have no interest in detuning the Jeep. Thanks, but no thanks.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I read it the same way. No more manual transmission? I'm not getting a new Jeep that is automatic. That's literally what it says.

Am I the only one who read this to mean that they STOPPED all manual production on January 22, 2021 ??
And no, I will not ask for this recall. But, if we have learned anything from DieselGate, it's that eventually we will have no choice.
I read it like that too, not quite sure how they meant it. My 6 speed jlur was built today according to my salesman. I wonder if they paused production to remedy this at the factory
Yes that's what I got from their statement, and if that's the case I will not be buying another Jeep. I won't buy another vehicle without a manual unless it's electric. Looks like FCA just doesn't want my business.
I have a manual JK with 170,000 miles and no problems. It's not encouraging to spend $55K+ on a new vehicle with so many defects. That's how much a new JL configured as I like would cost. Ouch.

No...There are legit defects with some of the clutches. I have owned 5 manuals previously and made it 170k miles on a Infiniti G35 clutch once. I didnt ride the JLU clutch or drive it hard and it started slipping at 25k miles and was replaced at 27k miles bc it failed the recall test. I know another knowledgeable person who was very easy on his jlu and his clutch needed to be replaced at 30k miles.

Sponsored

omenlabs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still working on my first Jeep
The TSB doesn't read like a general detune:

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to add software to reduce engine torque capability when clutch assembly temperatures rise to a level that may damage the pressure plate.​
Now how they get that temperature, I have no idea. My old Saab 2.0 liter turbo came tuned to not put out full power when in first gear from the get-go. Maybe FCA will offer the 2.0T to the MT.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Maybe FCA will offer the 2.0T to the MT
No chance of that happening.

The D478 transmission is rated to 272 lb-ft torque. If these issues are occurring with the 3.6’s 260 lb-ft, then throwing the 2.0’s 295 lb-ft in front of it will only make it worse.

omenlabs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still working on my first Jeep
The D478 transmission is rated to 272 lb-ft torque. If these issues are occurring with the 3.6’s 260 lb-ft, then throwing the 2.0’s 295 lb-ft in front of it will only make it worse.
Oh, that isn't much overhead at all. I was being a little silly about the MT + 2.0T to poke V6 the purists. As a MT purist myself, it is sad that overhead is so low it isn't even a possibility. I've heard the excuse that you need a ZF to handle the higher power in modern high performance engines, but I thought that was in the 500hp range.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Mine either. I also have had many manuals. I have stalled this vehicle more times than all the others combined, (5 total). Personally, and I know it's hydraulic, but it is so friggin' light. I swear you could push it down with your pinky. It also has a funny catch point and I ever seem to have the RPMs high enough even when I think I do.
I'll see how it goes.
What you describe is the exact issue I had, multiple stalls due to a funny catch point and not getting the revs high enough. Now it works like a regular clutch.

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
What you describe is the exact issue I had, multiple stalls due to a funny catch point and not getting the revs high enough. Now it works like a regular clutch.
Man that is encouraging. I'm calling the dealer Monday.
Sponsored