Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

There has been prior notices issued for this (and discussed in depth here), but this latest one expands out to dates # of vehicles affected.

Recall notice: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V028-2204.PDF

Some 2018-2021 MY Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with manual transmissions may experience overheating of the clutch intermediate pressure plate. Extreme overheating may cause the clutch to fracture.
The suspect period began on August 23, 2017, when production of Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with manual transmissions started, and concluded on January 22, 2021, when shipment of Jeep Wrangler vehicles with manual transmissions ended.
Similar vehicles not included in the recall are not equipped with manual transmissions.
The total affected vehicles for this model is 36,692.
Production Dates : AUG 23, 2017 - JAN 22, 2021
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
this latest one expands out to # of vehicles covered
Which is every single manual JL produced until two weeks ago... 🤦‍♂️

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
There has been prior notices issued for this (and discussed in depth here), but this latest one expands out to dates # of vehicles affected.

Recall notice: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V028-2204.PDF

Some 2018-2021 MY Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with manual transmissions may experience overheating of the clutch intermediate pressure plate. Extreme overheating may cause the clutch to fracture.
The suspect period began on August 23, 2017, when production of Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with manual transmissions started, and concluded on January 22, 2021, when shipment of Jeep Wrangler vehicles with manual transmissions ended.
Similar vehicles not included in the recall are not equipped with manual transmissions.
The total affected vehicles for this model is 36,692.
Production Dates : AUG 23, 2017 - JAN 22, 2021
I am a huge proponent of the Manual Transmission and think its a dying art in North America. But the JL Manual has had this clutch issue since they started producing in mid 2017. One of the few times I am relieved that my arm was twisted by my wife to buy my JLUR with the 8 speed automatic. Otherwise I could have been impacted by this recall!!

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
This one just states it's a software issue? Please correct me if I'm insane.
No, the new “fix” is a PCM flash to reduce torque: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ting-clutch-pressure-plate.47887/post-1390584

It says voluntary recall. I, for one, do not volunteer to have my engine detuned. I’m at 2.5 years and 36,000 miles... clutch has been perfect since day one. I’m not fixing what ain’t broke (until some other guinea pigs report back, anyway).

Edit: In the other thread on this topic, people think I’m being serious with regard to not volunteering. Lest anyone take my joke as real advice, let me point out that “voluntary” means that Jeep is doing this recall in good faith, and is not being forced to do so by any regulatory agency. Owners can not actually volunteer or opt out of safety recalls. That said, I still don’t plan to get this done until I hear plenty of positive feedback.

Last edited:

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Always been a fan and had manuals, the majority of my vehicles have been. In the waiting process of my 392 order and wish I would have been able to get it in a manual but I guess it feels a little better getting a auto knowing the manuals can't handle the heat.

Sponsored

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Has anyone had this happen to them? Does this happen with rock crawling and riding the clutch?

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hopefully, my new order is after Jan 22, 2021. lol

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Am I the only one who read this to mean that they STOPPED all manual production on January 22, 2021 ??

And no, I will not ask for this recall. But, if we have learned anything from DieselGate, it's that eventually we will have no choice.

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
No, the new “fix” is a PCM flash to reduce torque: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ting-clutch-pressure-plate.47887/post-1390584

It says voluntary recall. I, for one, do not volunteer to have my engine detuned. I’m at 2.5 years and 36,000 miles... clutch has been perfect since day one. I’m not fixing what ain’t broke (until some other guinea pigs report back, anyway).
I have a 2019 with 28,000 miles and took my manual in when the recall first came out. Didn't notice any difference and I am still cruising. Now again, my dealership isn't the sharpest, so... They may have just scratched their heads and said it looked fine!?
Sponsored