Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Oh, that isn't much overhead at all. I was being a little silly about the MT + 2.0T to poke V6 the purists. As a MT purist myself, it is sad that overhead is so low it isn't even a possibility. I've heard the excuse that you need a ZF to handle the higher power in modern high performance engines, but I thought that was in the 500hp range.
Transmissions are rated based on torque input, not horsepower.

Wranglers have decent headroom to add power with FCA’s 850RE (369 lb-ft), but yes once you step up to ZF’s 8HP75 you get 553 lb-ft toque capacity
Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
No chance of that happening.

The D478 transmission is rated to 272 lb-ft torque. If these issues are occurring with the 3.6’s 260 lb-ft, then throwing the 2.0’s 295 lb-ft in front of it will only make it worse.
Source? I’ve never been able to find any docs on the specific model manual in the JL.

Also the transmission rating here has nothing to do with what the clutch can (or can’t) handle. Two separate parts made by two separate suppliers.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Source? I’ve never been able to find any docs on the specific model manual in the JL.

Also the transmission rating here has nothing to do with what the clutch can (or can’t) handle. Two separate parts made by two separate suppliers.
Source for what? It literally lists 370 N-m as the torque capacity on the manufacturers website.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Source for what? It literally lists 370 nm as the torque capacity on the manufacturers website.
Source that it’s the D478? Everything I read just says AL6. Also, where do you see D478 on aisin website? I don’t see it (or AL6) listed.

Sponsored

omenlabs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still working on my first Jeep
I suppose they could use engine rpm and transmission speed sensors to detect clutch slippage from a failing clutch and detune to prevent baking and fracturing it.

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
So I just stopped by my dealer today for an annual inspection on my 2019 Sahara 6MT, and they had a recall come up. Something about a haudralic line/hose near the brake booster being loose. They deemed my Jeep unsafe to drive and stuck me in a rental pending a part coming in.

I've already had the "let dealer burn your clutch" recall done and passed, I don't know what this new one is.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
So I just stopped by my dealer today for an annual inspection on my 2019 Sahara 6MT, and they had a recall come up. Something about a haudralic line/hose near the brake booster being loose. They deemed my Jeep unsafe to drive and stuck me in a rental pending a part coming in.

I've already had the "let dealer burn your clutch" recall done and passed, I don't know what this new one is.
Maybe the system wasn't updated when the work was done the first time.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Dual Mass Flywheel is prone to failure from heat .Detuning , reducing torque ,is just a bandaid to delay the inevitable, replacement with a one piece flywheel. The Dual Mass Flywheel was an attempt to better better mpg at lower engine speeds, and to dampen engine vibrations for " driver comfort ".
Using it in an off road vehicle the will see high torque, throttle, clutch slippage, is not what the dual mass clutch was designed for, apparently.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Dammit. Thinking of southbend or centerforce clutch. I have a magnuson supercharger and their tune...so no way in hell is stupid Jeep touching my PCM. God they suck so hard - this is the worst recall / fix imaginable. Save a buck for them, degrade performance for us. Shame on em. Kinda Wish I had purchased an auto trans.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm really hoping the new owners of Jeep, notorious Cost Cutters, don't decide to axe the manual transmission because sales are low enough to do so, and the proper repair will cost them big time.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
It says voluntary recall. I, for one, do not volunteer to have my engine detuned. I’m at 2.5 years and 36,000 miles... clutch has been perfect since day one. I’m not fixing what ain’t broke (until some other guinea pigs report back, anyway).
I'm of the same opinion as well. Sadly, this complicates any future visits to the dealer for anything else, though. I generally avoid them like the plague unless I absolutely have to get something fixed, but if something does come up, we'll probably have to remember to tell them NOT to do this "recall" while it's there...and hope they listen. If you drop it off for anything else, this will probably pop up in their system that it hasn't been completed yet, and being just a software update, they might not even ask before applying it.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I'm really hoping the new owners of Jeep, notorious Cost Cutters, don't decide to axe the manual transmission because sales are low enough to do so, and the proper repair will cost them big time.
It’s getting axed soon regardless, unfortunately.Not much point in a manual EV.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Well well well... Looks like it's time for that Hemi Swap + Manual Trans job I've been talking about. Because WHY NOT? Would solve this problem.
</sarcasm>
Seriously though...
It blows my mind that their fix is to reduce power rather than fix the clutch. FCA for the fail. They are going to push us manual lovers to the Bronco.
Or replace with a more stout, aftermarket Clutch. Trust me, as I say this as someone who won't be trading his Jeep, but loves the Bronco and wants to see it do well: Bronco will have their own share of issues.

Agree with this. Mine was replaced at 19k. I never felt it slip, but the clutch never felt right. I assumed it was supposed to feel different until it was fixed, now it feels like a regular clutch.
Same thing happened to mine, sub 12k mi. They changed out the clutch under recall. It felt different after. something was off. My next step for this is dumping the BS OEM clutch assembly and just putting a Centerforce in it. I don't have time or patience for FCA's tomfoolery and I do not want my Jeep to be "detuned", whether or not that is the case.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Does this happen with rock crawling and riding the clutch?
Normally I'd say no, as you shouldn't be riding the clutch THAT hard when Rock crawling, but after seeing enough posts on this forum from people who have no idea how to use a manual transmission off road, I guess I wouldn't be terrible shocked if people were blowing out clutches because they don't know what they're doing and that piece of the drivetrain is the point of failure.

PSA:
for all those following a long- say it with me:
YOU πŸ‘ DON'T πŸ‘ SHIFT πŸ‘ ON πŸ‘ THE πŸ‘ TRAIL πŸ‘ LIKE πŸ‘ YOU πŸ‘ SHIFT πŸ‘ ON πŸ‘ THE πŸ‘ STREET πŸ‘
SELECT πŸ‘ YOUR πŸ‘ GEAR πŸ‘ BEFORE πŸ‘ ENTERING πŸ‘ AN πŸ‘ OBSTACLE πŸ‘
DO πŸ‘ NOT πŸ‘ SHIFT πŸ‘ LIKE πŸ‘ YOU πŸ‘ WOULD πŸ‘ ON πŸ‘ THE πŸ‘ STREET πŸ‘
THAT'S πŸ‘ HOW πŸ‘ YOU πŸ‘ BREAK πŸ‘ YOUR πŸ‘ JEEP πŸ‘ .
Maybe consider reading, doing some research, taking part in an Off road driving course/ workshop- Jeep does them now, or just post up in the off roading area of this forum. Plenty of knowledge to share and it would go a long way to reducing potential damage to both your vehicle and the trails.

(this is general, not pointed at anyone in particular)

dave_p

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-Door
Does anyone know how long it's going to take to release the software fix for this recall? (21V-028) I have a brand new jeep sitting there at the dealer that they can't give me until this fix is installed (ordered Nov 8). Can they now not even sell any manual jeeps off the lot? I suppose that would motivate them to prioritize this. Any idea what's normal timing for something like this?
Sponsored