Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
If Toyota built a Wrangler clone to sell to the public, with Toyota’s quality and longevity do you think Jeep would be more careful to produce a solid Wrangler?
They already do. Theyve been doing it for decades, and no it isnt the FJ cruiser. It is called the Toyota Land Cruiser 70series. It is a workhorse, a beast machine. It has solid axles, great towing/payload capacity, and it is absurdly reliable. It is very popular in Africa, Australia, and south america given how rugged it is and realiable.

Comes in 2 door, 4 door and pickup truck configs. A beautiful machine, not sold in the US.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Yes, I have found that money is usually the answer to most questions. In this case I think they are bouncing risk and cost with the repair. I did talk to the folks at FCA. and I am convinced that the software will have a little impact for most in most conditions. I do not anticipate driving my two door manual any different.
Little impact meaning it won’t stop the plate from exploding?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Are you all confident that this software fix will indeed fix the problem? I guess time will tell right?
I've had no issues with my clutch slipping. Honestly i don't think i would know what slipping feels like.
I haven't had any issues thus far.
Clutch slippage will feel like tire slippage, vehicle speed/acceleration will not match engine rpm. Just like when the tires lose traction and you try to accelerate, if the clutch is slipping when accelerating the rpms will spike up, but you won't go any faster.

Last edited:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clutch slippage will feel like tire slippage, vehicle speed/acceleration will not match engine rpm. Just like when the tires loose traction and you try to accelerate, if the clutch is slipping when accelerating the rpms will spike up, but you won't go any faster.
Thankfully i have not experienced any of that. No burning clutch smell either. i have only 16,000 miles on jeep in 2 1/2 years so i haven't really used it all that much. Covid has saved me driving to work for a year. But of course since the recall notice i pay even more attention now.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Interesting reading this and the earlier/other recall thread. People seem to have difficulty sifting through speculation and facts, but the software change is a failsafe designed to prevent a catastrophic failure that might lead to injuries, road debris, etc., exactly as indicated in the notice.

Nothing in the notice indicates they are done, but if they spent the next eighteen months investigating having not taken this step it would be less responsible. Ask how you'd feel if another dozen exploded in the next year and "they knew all along but did nothing".

This is a very infrequent failure and many customers with problems aren't aware of it, making it very difficult for them to even investigate. If you failed the clutch dump / slip test, were they supposed to take your Jeep back to the factory to let engineers tear it apart? Do you want them to build a thousand just to drive around hoping that one of them starts failing so they can investigate? The entire business is "theoretical" (including your traction control, your ABS, even the battery charger), and the simple fact is that the hose change seemed to improve things for some customers.

Centerforce had issues, so why would Jeep think a full replacement was a solution?

Are they trying to limit costs? Sure. Could they extend our warranty? Yes, that would be a sign of good customer relations even if they had to eat a few "wear parts".

Quite simply, though, people are flying up hills in fifth gear with their tachometer sliding all over and the driver doesn't notice. Some drivers can't even tell that the ESS restart is ready to move the vehicle. Some are stalling because they should recalibrate the throttle pedal but are just popping to 4k to get started and wearing the clutch. The software is here to tell those people to get their inattentiveness to a dealer so someone can pay attention.

ps I don't have a financial interest in Jeep/FCA/Stellantis, not a lawyer, not a dealer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheKeither

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's Sport
Interesting reading this and the earlier/other recall thread. People seem to have difficulty sifting through speculation and facts, but the software change is a failsafe designed to prevent a catastrophic failure that might lead to injuries, road debris, etc., exactly as indicated in the notice.

Nothing in the notice indicates they are done, but if they spent the next eighteen months investigating having not taken this step it would be less responsible. Ask how you'd feel if another dozen exploded in the next year and "they knew all along but did nothing".

This is a very infrequent failure and many customers with problems aren't aware of it, making it very difficult for them to even investigate. If you failed the clutch dump / slip test, were they supposed to take your Jeep back to the factory to let engineers tear it apart? Do you want them to build a thousand just to drive around hoping that one of them starts failing so they can investigate? The entire business is "theoretical" (including your traction control, your ABS, even the battery charger), and the simple fact is that the hose change seemed to improve things for some customers.

Centerforce had issues, so why would Jeep think a full replacement was a solution?

Are they trying to limit costs? Sure. Could they extend our warranty? Yes, that would be a sign of good customer relations even if they had to eat a few "wear parts".

Quite simply, though, people are flying up hills in fifth gear with their tachometer sliding all over and the driver doesn't notice. Some drivers can't even tell that the ESS restart is ready to move the vehicle. Some are stalling because they should recalibrate the throttle pedal but are just popping to 4k to get started and wearing the clutch. The software is here to tell those people to get their inattentiveness to a dealer so someone can pay attention.

ps I don't have a financial interest in Jeep/FCA/Stellantis, not a lawyer, dealer.
Stop it RIGHT NOW! This is a reasoned and level-headed comment absent of hysteria, uninformed speculation, or absolute vitriol.

You must now be banned. I wish I regretted this, but I do not.

Begone. :CWL:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

ps I don't have a financial interest in Jeep/FCA/Stellantis, not a lawyer, dealer.
Your comment should be a sticky. Hear, freakin’ hear!

Well done.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Since when did we start having a clutch assembly temperature sensor?
this was my thought. i would love to know how they are monitoring this temp

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Hi everyone, there has been a lot of questions and different threads so I am going to post this and you may see the same info posted on other threads:

Towing capacity or performance will not be affected by this flash update.

There is no difference in the 3.6L engine's power output under "normal circumstances" with the Y01 flash. The torque reduction only happens if the engine controller calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature is above a certain temperature threshold.

The PCM monitors the engine RPM and the wheel speed sensors to determine if clutch slippage is occurring, how often, and at what intensity. Based on that information, the PCM calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature. The temperature threshold that reduces the engine torque is lower than the temperature needed to do permanent pressure plate damage. The vehicle cannot reach or exceed the temperature threshold under normal operating conditions, including towing and off-roading, and only occurs if the driver repeatedly slips the clutch, performs multiple, consecutive 2nd or 3rd gear launches, or if air is present in the hydraulic clutch system.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
this is the best information that has been given to date. they should copy and paste this on the bulletin

Sponsored

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Exactly. Just a calculation algorithm. Which can always malfunction.
You need to sell your Jeep and get something else. Seriously. You bring an insane amount of negativity to this forum. This is a place for Wrangler enthusiasts. You should move to something safer, like a bicycle maybe.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to sell your Jeep and get something else. Seriously. You bring an insane amount of negativity to this forum. This is a place for Wrangler enthusiasts. You should move to something safer, like a bicycle maybe.
Wow really. I wouldn’t say negative. Concerned maybe as I should be but I think that’s a bit harsh.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is the best information that has been given to date. they should copy and paste this on the bulletin
That’s helpful. Thank you for posting.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Wow really. I wouldn’t say negative. Concerned maybe as I should be but I think that’s a bit harsh.
What’s harsh you you saying it could blow up like a grenade. You’re spreading fear and paranoia based on absolutely nothing. Jeep fixed the issue. Move on. Or sell your Jeep. You clearly don’t like the fix so sell it and move on from the forum. While you sell it, enjoy the highest resale value of any vehicle in the market.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have been thru both of the the forums about the clutch recall. I understand the temperature will be a "calculation" based on other readings form the vehicle. I have not seen anything in the thread about tire size. This has a HUGE effect on the calculation. I have a Sahara and put on the Rubi Wheels and tires, I have not make the change to the ECU -- Threrefore, the Jeep is going faster then it really is ! I would assume this will cause problems with the calculation. Am I wrong ?? If not, then the dealer will need to mkae the update for the tire size, AND in the future when you change tire size it will cause problems ! ! Again, please someone correct me if I am wrong.
Sponsored