Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I just had the recall software update done yesterday. The Jeep drives the same. The 2 main things that I have noticed are that the gear is now displayed and the ESS no longer seems to do anything. I even tested it by idling in a parking space after driving to work today. I am happy about it, I never liked the ESS. Has anyone else noticed this change with the update?
Well if it took away your ESS then that's a piss poor excuse for a fix. It shouldn't take away a feature of the vehicle.
It's ridiculous the way jeep is handling this situation. The clutch is just made crappy. They should just put in better parts.
Sponsored

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
My ess is still functioning the same way as it did before the update I would take it back they did something wrong.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
My ess is still functioning the same way as it did before the update I would take it back they did something wrong.
Ok, I was hoping that it was part of the update. I feel like the ESS never worked well with the manual trans. For example, If quickly shifting into first at a light, it would have trouble and flash a warning light. Plus the extra wear on. The starter, etc...

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Ok, I was hoping that it was part of the update. I feel like the ESS never worked well with the manual trans. For example, If quickly shifting into first at a light, it would have trouble and flash a warning light. Plus the extra wear on. The starter, etc...
my ess has never done that as soon as you touch the clutch the engine should start. You need to take it in

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you all confident that this software fix will indeed fix the problem? I guess time will tell right?
I've had no issues with my clutch slipping. Honestly i don't think i would know what slipping feels like.
I haven't had any issues thus far.

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
I just had the recall software update done yesterday. The Jeep drives the same. The 2 main things that I have noticed are that the gear is now displayed and the ESS no longer seems to do anything. I even tested it by idling in a parking space after driving to work today. I am happy about it, I never liked the ESS. Has anyone else noticed this change with the update?
I'm having mine 'flashed' Tuesday. I'll reply afterwards. I hope mine shows the gear and the ESS doesn't do anythings!

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Mine doesn't do it either. Agree, something is wrong.
Mine has done this. It was a freak circumstance where I let the clutch out in neutral as I was stopping at a red light when the light changed. I moved quick into first since I was still rolling at 1mph and I let up before the engine had fully caught, leading to a stall while still rolling at 2-6 mph. I don’t think there is anything wrong, its just a circumstance that the system isn’t designed to handle and can’t anticipate with existing technology.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I am still confused that anyone thinks they can fix this problem (if it is indeed an everyday regular use issue) with a software change. From what I've read on this forum, the rumor is that these software geniuses will do some kind of reverse calculation from what the traction control software does and deduce that if things are not rotating as they should, then s/w cuts back on power/torque. To get that kind of resolution from sensor and have it reliable for 10 years sounds a bit unreasonable. And then, the V&V (verification and validation) must be really complicated to make sure that and traction-control don't do battle in the software domain. I guess that's perhaps why the s/w is not available yet.

Would you not feel that much slippage (if you are not causing it)? And if you are causing that much slippage, perhaps an automatic is in your future?

Would seem to me that using non-explosive parts in their drivetrains is the 'right' solution. Until the s/w is available I will keep driving my IED (the proper way so it doesn't explode :):)).
the calculation is pretty damn straight forward the computer knows the engine speed (same sensor that gives you your tact), it knows the the output speed of the transfer case (same sensor that give your vehicle speed), and knows the the transfer case range (same sensor that lights up your dash in 4lo). So knowing those 3 items you can do tcase speed/(engine speed x t case gear) = transmission gear, and knowing that you have 7 fixed transmission gears if the calculated number does not equal a known gear you have spillage between the engine and tranny. There are a few edge cases you would need to rule out like neutral coasting and clutch depression, clutch position is easy and i am pretty sure they know transmission position according to the wiring diagram so you know if its in neutral or not

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/TRANSMISSION---MANUAL---3.6L.pdf

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really hope nobody blows up and dies. Then will FCA be required to replace the clutches?
I'm still considering a trade in.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I really hope nobody blows up and dies. Then will FCA be required to replace the clutches?
I'm still considering a trade in.
Lisa, life is too short and no car is worth the kind of anxiety that you seem to be having. Sell/trade the thing and move on with your life.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
ESS not working could just be a low battery situation (or maybe something that happens after a PCM flash?). The very same thing happened to me after a service appointment.. at first I was like "sweet! it's gone"... then after about 50 miles or so it activated again :(.

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
I wonder why they just don't replace the pressure plate and be done with it.
Why a software fix?
Yes, I have found that money is usually the answer to most questions. In this case I think they are bouncing risk and cost with the repair. I did talk to the folks at FCA. and I am convinced that the software will have a little impact for most in most conditions. I do not anticipate driving my two door manual any different.

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
the calculation is pretty damn straight forward the computer knows the engine speed (same sensor that gives you your tact), it knows the the output speed of the transfer case (same sensor that give your vehicle speed), and knows the the transfer case range (same sensor that lights up your dash in 4lo). So knowing those 3 items you can do tcase speed/(engine speed x t case gear) = transmission gear, and knowing that you have 7 fixed transmission gears if the calculated number does not equal a known gear you have spillage between the engine and tranny. There are a few edge cases you would need to rule out like neutral coasting and clutch depression, clutch position is easy and i am pretty sure they know transmission position according to the wiring diagram so you know if its in neutral or not

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/TRANSMISSION---MANUAL---3.6L.pdf
no question. I am sure it is all doable, but then they still got the cold weather temperature sensor on the outside of the vehicle rather than on the inside :) o!!!!!!!-
Sponsored