Recall and stop sale for steering intermediate shaft on certain JL Wranglers

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
So can we trust the mopar website is updated? I know the letter says vins are live and searchable. Is anyone effected that can post the mopar site and what it says for your Jeep. Mine says I’m not impacted, but who really knows.
Sponsored

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
Whats your build date?
I had an early build date of 4/18... I guess I'm going to have to wait to be notified if I am, and keep checking. Be nice to know if it's a bad batch of parts, or a systematic problem on all JL's.

The Bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel
Not surprising since there have been a growing number of steering complaints with the JL.
From the description of the recall it does not sound anything like the complaints about steering being ‘vague’ or whatever.

CrashNBurnDRT

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
M
So can we trust the mopar website is updated? I know the letter says vins are live and searchable. Is anyone effected that can post the mopar site and what it says for your Jeep. Mine says I’m not impacted, but who really knows.
Mopar is owned by Fiat-Chrysler so should be pretty reliable. Gives a date when it was last updated as you can see in the pic I shared. If you still just don’t trust it then go to nhtsa.gov and search your VIN. Although it takes them time to update as well.

Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
There is a difference in track bar and intermediate shaft. At least I think there is....

Metrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 HellaYella JLU Rubicon
Just a note to those concerned about first year issues and are waiting for a 2019 model:

Model year issues aren't recorded and then all suddenly fixed at the start of the next model year's production. Continuous engineering and manufacturing changes are made throughout production runs. So a problem early in the model year will typically be addressed in the same model year. A late model 2018 will be similar in quality to a early 2019.

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Here is the good news.
FCA is ontop of the problems! Anytime something is brought to their attention they look into it and work on getting it fixed.
With any brand new product there are going to be problems. I’m supper happy with mine and all of her minor problems. I’m sure this is not the last of the recalls and I knew this when I ordered mine on 1/11.

cbr954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc Acadia Ford Edge
Just a note to those concerned about first year issues and are waiting for a 2019 model:

Model year issues aren't recorded and then all suddenly fixed at the start of the next model year's production. Continuous engineering and manufacturing changes are made throughout production runs. So a problem early in the model year will typically be addressed in the same model year. A late model 2018 will be similar in quality to a early 2019.
And therefore waiting for 2019 prevents a buyer from dealing with all of these recalls. Of course nothing to guarantee they won't continue unimpeded..

Lindag8r

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MB SLK280; 2015 Acura MDX; 2006 Nissan Armada
Occupation
Pharmacist
I chatted with Chanchal on Jeep Chat this afternoon. She said the affected Wrangler VINs for the steering will likely not be searchable until next week. She did urge me not to use my cruise control until notified that the flash software is ready to update. The MOPAR site lists that my JLUR is not impacted; but this information may be a false negative.

Sponsored

Lindag8r

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MB SLK280; 2015 Acura MDX; 2006 Nissan Armada
Occupation
Pharmacist

I have owned several first year models over the years. I have had no issues and one recall in all those vehicles from different manufacturers. So, the presumption that first year models are riddled with issues, recalls, and design flaws may be less than accurate. (IMHO)

Metrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And therefore waiting for 2019 prevents a buyer from dealing with all of these recalls. Of course nothing to guarantee they won't continue unimpeded..
If you order one today, you have already avoided these recalls, as FCA has identified the issues and issued the remedies (otherwise there wouldn't be recalls). There is always the possibility that there will be more recalls, and there also could be 2019 recalls, as you mentioned.

Last edited:

Metrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have owned several first year models over the years. I have had no issues and one recall in all those vehicles from different manufacturers. So, the presumption that first year models are riddled with issues, recalls, and design flaws may be less than accurate. (IMHO)
I've worked more than a couple of decades in engineering and manufacturing capacities in plants that are very similar to automotive. In my experience, the majority of the first year issues are identified and fixed within the first few months. The issues do exist, but as long you don't buy the very first ones off the line, you can usually avoid most of the major issues. I still plan on buying a 2018 model, hopefully within the month. First year late buyers get the advantage of most bugs worked out, but no inflation costs of the next model year (granted, at a sooner depreciation).

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
There's another thread where a user already posted his mopar account informed him his VIN was impacted by this recall. With that being said I'm not sure I'd trust Jeep Chat either. I'm sure by the end of the month all VINs impacted by the recall will be loaded. Jeep is probably trying to figure out which ones are affected...I'll keep checking my mopar page to see. Right now it says I'm clear.
Sponsored