Reattaching the Soft Top Windows

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I think it's saying don't move it into Sunrider position and then move the whole roof into the retracted position. So, you skip the Sunrider step if you are going full topless.
To lower the soft top completely (what you seem to refer to with the words "retracted" and "full topless"?) does in fact require the user to first fold the forward portion of the top back into the Sunrider position. He then proceeds from that point to fully lower the folding hardware.

Anyway, as I said in a recent post, I'm just passing on the sticker data for others to consider. I've no stake here.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ArcadeTracks

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rubicon. 2dr Soft Top. 2.0L Turbo, Auto, Stock

Here's the dude who moved the whole thing with one motion, from the back, without first doing the "Sunrider open" position. As I mentioned, I've been watching a bunch of videos on the subject. :blush: I'm pretty sure he's the only one I've seen do it this way!

OP
OP
ArcadeTracks

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To lower the soft top completely (what you seem to refer to with the words "retracted" and "full topless"?) does in fact require the user to first fold the forward portion of the top back into the Sunrider position. He then proceeds from that point to fully lower the folding hardware.

Anyway, as I said in a recent post, I'm just passing on the sticker data for others to consider. I've no stake here.
I've never removed the top, so you definitely have more info and WAY more first hand experience! 😄
Those pictograms are great for avoiding language barriers, but they do sometimes leave a lot up to interpretation!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Here's the dude who moved the whole thing with one motion, from the back, without first doing the "Sunrider open" position.
Ha. I'm going to try that method next time!

Silly me, following the directions my salesman provided...

OP
OP
ArcadeTracks

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I was wondering about the terminology! Since if the soft top is the whole way back, the Jeep is topless. But, there's also a way to remove the whole assembly (soft top or hard top) and that's a bit different!

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the factory label that is attached to the soft top's folding hardware. There's one on each side of the vehicle.

Note that Safari Mode is fine so long as the forward portion of the top isn't also folded back.

Full image:

1680277055829.png

The relevant bit:

1680277083977.png
So weird. I bought my JL brand new and do not have this graphic at all. I rarely drive in the Sunrider position with the windows out, simply to protect my bare melon from burning up in the desert sun, but I have driven this way on secondary roads with no problem at 50-ish mph.

I understand what the sales rep advised about driving "unsupported" in the Sunrider position, but as long as the rear locks are locked, I can't see how the assembly would collapse. Regardless, I appreciate that you brought this detail to our attention, as it could be worth considering...plus, I just learned about a graphic that should have been affixed to my Wrangler! Many thanks.

OP
OP
ArcadeTracks

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Fwiw, I was reading the manual today (because I'm a nerd + I'm still waiting for my Jeep) and when I saw this, I thought of this thread!

Jeep Wrangler JL Reattaching the Soft Top Windows 1682621732999

So, it says Sunrider first

OP
OP
ArcadeTracks

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And, random update for which no one asked: My window broke before it was even removed! I guess I was justified in being concerned. But I thought re-installation would be tough for a different reason 🤣

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
how do you protect it?
spray coating?
what brand?
As you might guess, there are many products available for this purpose, but I just use Bestop vinyl protectant:

https://www.amazon.com/Bestop-11212...ix=bestop+vinyl+protect,automotive,175&sr=1-1

I've heard that 303 is good too, but it made sense to just use the stuff recommended by the OEM for the vinyl top. The only issue with this protectant, is that it can't come in contact with the clear plastic windows. I drive in safari mode all year, so that's not a problem.

OP
OP
ArcadeTracks

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I tried it, and it didn't work. My "release lever" won't release unless the top is in Sunrider!

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I tried it, and it didn't work. My "release lever" won't release unless the top is in Sunrider!
I did, and the release lever did function.

That said, a bit of extra effort was required, so I'll revert to first folding the top into the Sunrider position. 👍

OP
OP
ArcadeTracks

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did, and the release lever did function.

That said, a bit of extra effort was required, so I'll revert to first folding the top into the Sunrider position. 👍
I'm being so darned gentle with mine right now (after the window clip snapped on Day One) it might as well be made glass.
Sponsored