Sponsored

Reason for 2.0L BSG engine fires finally uncovered

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
https://www.13abc.com/content/news/I-Team-Cuase-of-Jeep-fires-revealed-495058511.html

October 3, 2018

TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - The 13abc I-Team has uncovered the exact reason why several new Jeeps caught fire earlier this year while sitting in storage lots.

Jeep+fire.jpg

Fiat Chrysler would not release the exact issue but a state investigation into Jeep fires in Swanton has shed light on what caused dozens of Jeeps to go up in flames.

The first fire happened on May 21st in a Counter street lot in Toledo owned by the Ann Arbor railroad. Thatā€™s when around 20 Jeeps caught fire. The company investigated, said they knew what the problem was but didn't reveal it. But now we're getting a clearer picture of what happened.

We're learning that from this investigation at Toledo Express Airport in Swanton. That's where more jeeps caught fire in early May. That case was turned over to the Ohio State Fire Marshal's office.

In the course of that investigation the state was notified by FCA that the problem was located. According to the car maker "the cause of the fires were due to a high resistance contention of a battery cable for under the rear passenger seat."

That information then had the state turn its determination of the fire to accidental and the state closed the case.

FCA told 13abc then and stuck to its statement Wednesday morning saying the issue was addressed with no impact to production. None of these vehicles were ever shipped to a customer, all of them were sitting in the storage lot. So the company says no recall was needed because the product never made it to any customer.

At this point, 13abc is only aware of 3 fire incidents related to these new jeeps. That first fire in the Toledo storage lot, then some of the vehicles caught fire that next day in the same lot. The third one is that Swanton fire.

Pics:

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.26.02 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.26.12 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.26.22 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.26.40 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.26.51 AM.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
That story was published some time ago. If they did not know what caused the fires they would not have been able to make revisions to the product and sell the Jeeps

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Could only imagine that this would be related to that BSG system. As I recall, it uses a 48v battery, of course, separate from the normal 12v system. Glad I purchased the 3.6, have no desire for a more complex engine.

Yoodie

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR Mojito!
Pretty sure they mean high resistance connection. I donā€™t think you can have high resistance contention except in humans.

I donā€™t mean to be the word police but when your job is writing articles....

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
So Iā€™m guessing this was the reason for the production delay.

Not worried.

Like a good neighbor...

Sponsored

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Guess I am fortunate enough never to have had a vehicle catch on fire...those Jeeps are destroyed!