jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Merry Eff’ing Christmas to me.

I shattered my rear windshield trying to take my Christmas tree to the dump.

Anyone know how much this would cost to replace? Part #?

Ugh.

View attachment 124140

E2F518D9-F659-4613-A769-976D065788A3.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Murphy is an ass

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Merry Eff’ing Christmas to me.

I shattered my rear windshield trying to take my Christmas tree to the dump.

Anyone know how much this would cost to replace? Part #?

Ugh.

View attachment 124140
Oh the humanity!?!?! It even pushed off your spare tire!?!?!?
What did you do to that tree to make it so angry?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Did it break when you shut your tailgate?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlsahara

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Oh the humanity!?!?! It even pushed off your spare tire!?!?!?
What did you do to that tree to make it so angry?
Lol no. Waiting on my new wheel and tire to come in.

Did it break when you shut your tailgate?
I wish it did, that way I didn’t have to use any insurance claims.

Would cost you nothing if you have zero deductible glass on your insurance.
I double checked and you’re right. I just didn’t want to place any claims. Found out it’s about $1400 to fix without using insurance?? WTF? That’s crazy, I mean the top only cost $2000 off the factory order lol. I guess I’m going to use the insurance claim.
Was it a Griswold size tree or what?
This was actually a very small tree - much smaller than any other year - as you can see it kind of fit in the Jeep. Kind of...

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
With the above responses, one would have thought you would have responded with the obvious, but I suppose not. So, I'll ask the not-so-obvious question: what happened that lead to the glass breaking?

OP
OP
jlsahara

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
With the above responses, one would have thought you would have responded with the obvious, but I suppose not. So, I'll ask the not-so-obvious question: what happened that lead to the glass breaking?
Oh yeah. I was just backing out and I heard like an explosion type of noise... glass shattered everywhere. I suppose the tree trunk hit the glass. There’s not much else that could’ve happened.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I double checked and you’re right. I just didn’t want to place any claims. Found out it’s about $1400 to fix without using insurance?? WTF? That’s crazy, I mean the top only cost $2000 off the factory order lol. I guess I’m going to use the insurance claim.
Do you have actual glass coverage or are you just using your general insurance to do the claim? If you specifically use glass coverage, the claim won't affect your rate, but going through general comprehensive most likely will. I learned that the hard way.

And yeah, I don't know what the deal is with the new glass on the JL, but Mopar sure upped the price for it. It's not special, better, or really any different than the JK glass, yet costs 3x more. I go through windshields yearly and my JK windshields were typically billed to my insurance at around $300 a pop. I just had my windshield replaced on my JL and it was damn near $1,000.

OP
OP
jlsahara

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Do you have actual glass coverage or are you just using your general insurance to do the claim? If you specifically use glass coverage, the claim won't affect your rate, but going through general comprehensive most likely will. I learned that the hard way.

And yeah, I don't know what the deal is with the new glass on the JL, but Mopar sure upped the price for it. It's not special, better, or really any different than the JK glass, yet costs 3x more. I go through windshields yearly and my JK windshields were typically billed to my insurance at around $300 a pop. I just had my windshield replaced on my JL and it was damn near $1,000.
I have glass. I just hate using insurance for anything so I’m skeptical but the price is ridiculous. Especially considering you can get the whole top for about 2k. I can only imagine what the gorilla glass windshields will cost.
Sponsored