migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Finally got mine put 2 weeks ago. 6 months without a rear glass window was tough, hopefully never again.
Sponsored

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Does anyone know why the glass shatters after the dealer fixed it? What causes the excessive heating of the window?
Overheating.

You would think it has an auto-off safety feature, but when it's just glued/stuck back on, the chances of it working like before is low. I remember seeing the heating element lines burn orange until the glass exploded. It is most likely due to the voltage and shit being different since being reattached, therefore the auto-off feature doesn't know when to shut off. It will keep heating until blam!

JIMMIEMAC

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Hey everyone,

So like a lot of people, the tab of my defogger fell off. It was disconnected for awhile as I didn't bother taking it to the dealership since it was summer where I am.

A month ago, I decided to get it "fixed" by a dealership. I believe they used the conductive epoxy kit that the TSB recommends, rather than replacing the entire back glass. Made sense to me at that time... Quick fix, why not?

So fast forward to the present. I am on my break at work, my Jeep parked in the gated underground parking (which is for staff accessible). I went to get my lunch in my Jeep, and then got curious to try and see if the defogger worked (never tried it since the repair). I press the defogger button and went to the back to feel if the glass got warm - it did.

I thought awesome, it works again. I go back to the drivers seat to turn it off - I started to smell smoke/something burning. Next thing you know, all you hear is a big POP and glass falling onto the ground. Not a crack - just a clean instant shatter
123529997_651571649062230_989902273789962447_n.jpg
123489232_361617908443685_4913968352046372682_n.jpg
123599992_1063484950748471_7553644983998750511_n.jpg

Glass in thousands of pieces spontaneously - only pieces that stayed was because of some stickers I had on the window...

I took a video right away of the time and just voiced what happened just in case the dealership tries to be sneaky on me, as well as pictures.

Long story short, for those with tabs that have come off - I suggest to demand for a new rear window replacement/defogger unit. Do not take the risk of them using the epoxy kit, or attempt it yourself.

I would rather have a rear window with a broken tab than have no window at all!

Just thought I should post about it - Could be bad if it shatters near someone's face or while on the road..

Anyways - What should I say to the dealership? I just want to cover my bases - they might come back at me saying it was due to impact or theft (which is impossible from what happened).

Thanks guys!
I just had the same problem.
Did the dealership cover the cost of replacement?

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I just had the same problem.
Did the dealership cover the cost of replacement?
Yessir! They’re not gonna believe you, but you gotta keep pushing for it.

Had to bring in FCA Canada to kind of put some pressure on them. My timeline was delayed as my first glass broke during transport, so I had to wait another 3-4 months for another one.

Keep calling the warranty number/Jeep cares until they look into it/do something about it. Ask for the name of each person you talk to and the time and date. I had a lot of he said/she said bs with FCA and the dealership.
A temporary vehicle should be provided for you at no cost as well.

While you wait, Gorilla Glue weatherproof tape was my saviour. Not a lot of security, but my rear cargo was pretty sealed during wet weather.

Good luck!

Sponsored

Carlabeliever

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
This is exactly what happened to me! Jeep wave has been of no help to this point. Said they go by what the dealer says. The dealer is claiming no responsibility and said it is up to me to pay for the repair. Blaming it on a short or surge from the wire, not covered. Terrible service and representation!

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
This is exactly what happened to me! Jeep wave has been of no help to this point. Said they go by what the dealer says. The dealer is claiming no responsibility and said it is up to me to pay for the repair. Blaming it on a short or surge from the wire, not covered. Terrible service and representation!
How would a short or surge from the wire be your fault? Keep going above whomever you're speaking with, ask them to send out a regional rep to examine your vehicle. Ask them to explain how a short or surge in the factory-installed defroster is not a warranty item, etc.

acacia052

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited jl
@JeepCares i too had this issue. I originally had it in for the tab, which was silver soldered and it came off shortly after. Then the glass was replaced. And a year later the tab came off again. I took it in to another jeep dealer and they just resoldered the tab. And when I remote started my jl the entire rear window shattered. I’m still under warranty, but who do I contact? Do I go to the dealer or go through someone like safelite?
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Window Shattered from Defective Rear Defogger 9D42AC6D-1C1B-418F-88CB-FBB411C36CA1
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Window Shattered from Defective Rear Defogger C751A14E-69C2-43B3-8DC3-D391D45C1498
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Window Shattered from Defective Rear Defogger 5B0091FC-85F2-4DEF-B24A-E986707AF9A1
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Window Shattered from Defective Rear Defogger F061CD3D-2749-4614-B875-78DF46E87EA3
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Window Shattered from Defective Rear Defogger 24415E22-7404-4FFA-9D68-340B4701817E

acacia052

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited jl
As a side note to anyone else in this thread: I tried opening the rear gate to tuck my now plastic window behind it, and it won’t open. I used the power lock, then with the key thinking it may have popped a fuse and still no luck. It should be mechanical. Anyone else have it happen when their glass broke or am I just that lucky?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares i too had this issue. I originally had it in for the tab, which was silver soldered and it came off shortly after. Then the glass was replaced. And a year later the tab came off again. I took it in to another jeep dealer and they just resoldered the tab. And when I remote started my jl the entire rear window shattered. I’m still under warranty, but who do I contact? Do I go to the dealer or go through someone like safelite?
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Window Shattered from Defective Rear Defogger 24415E22-7404-4FFA-9D68-340B4701817E
Thanks for tagging us here. We would recommend a dealer visit for your concerns. If you need support while there, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

cdierks215

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sahara
Hey everyone,

So like a lot of people, the tab of my defogger fell off. It was disconnected for awhile as I didn't bother taking it to the dealership since it was summer where I am.

A month ago, I decided to get it "fixed" by a dealership. I believe they used the conductive epoxy kit that the TSB recommends, rather than replacing the entire back glass. Made sense to me at that time... Quick fix, why not?

So fast forward to the present. I am on my break at work, my Jeep parked in the gated underground parking (which is for staff accessible). I went to get my lunch in my Jeep, and then got curious to try and see if the defogger worked (never tried it since the repair). I press the defogger button and went to the back to feel if the glass got warm - it did.

I thought awesome, it works again. I go back to the drivers seat to turn it off - I started to smell smoke/something burning. Next thing you know, all you hear is a big POP and glass falling onto the ground. Not a crack - just a clean instant shatter

Glass in thousands of pieces spontaneously - only pieces that stayed was because of some stickers I had on the window...

I took a video right away of the time and just voiced what happened just in case the dealership tries to be sneaky on me, as well as pictures.

Long story short, for those with tabs that have come off - I suggest to demand for a new rear window replacement/defogger unit. Do not take the risk of them using the epoxy kit, or attempt it yourself.

I would rather have a rear window with a broken tab than have no window at all!

Just thought I should post about it - Could be bad if it shatters near someone's face or while on the road..

Anyways - What should I say to the dealership? I just want to cover my bases - they might come back at me saying it was due to impact or theft (which is impossible from what happened).

Thanks guys!
My rear window blew out too. Shattered into thousands of pieces. Happened while everyone was inside on a cool night. At first we thought it was vandalism, but after watching the footage, we saw the window shatter out of nowhere, while no one or nothing was around

1D7B15EC-356D-4837-B658-9C377523D7F3.jpeg

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My rear window blew out too. Shattered into thousands of pieces. Happened while everyone was inside on a cool night. At first we thought it was vandalism, but after watching the footage, we saw the window shatter out of nowhere, while no one or nothing was around

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Window Shattered from Defective Rear Defogger 1D7B15EC-356D-4837-B658-9C377523D7F3
So sorry to hear this! Our team recommends that you bring this to the attention of your preferred dealership as soon as you're able. If you need support while there, let us know via private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

joelskirsch

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Adding myself to the list here unfortunately. Hit autostart and the window blew out about 30 seconds before I loaded my son into the backseat... I swear the happiness I'm getting from this thing doesn't seem worth it at times. Ho Hum.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Window Shattered from Defective Rear Defogger JP1
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Window Shattered from Defective Rear Defogger JP2
Sponsored