Sponsored

Rear window electrical defroster glue / adhesive?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Any of you guys out there know what type of glue or adhesive to use on that rear window electronic defroster wire that comes loose, mine just came loose. thank you.

0053C439-E24D-4E01-9B67-54F0D2CD8389.jpeg

0B49C216-687B-4F3A-AE1C-9F075B57B31E.jpeg
Sponsored

Punk'nVulpine

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Occupation
Motion Graphic Artist
It's a known issue. Covered under warranty if you still have one. Otherwise, there are a few threads about it here.
I had the same issue. Using my Google-Fu I went with Permatex Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit from Napa, which is an electrically conductive adhesive. No issues so far. I did spend a fair amount of time cleaning both surfaces before I stuck mine back on.

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I had the same issue. Using my Google-Fu I went with Permatex Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit from Napa, which is an electrically conductive adhesive. No issues so far. I did spend a fair amount of time cleaning both surfaces before I stuck mine back on.
Thanks

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Just ordered the Napa repair kit. Be here tomorrow FYI ( punkin’ nVulpine) from Napa, not going through the dealer b.s for this minor repair. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I wonder if it would be a good idea to add some silicone or other adhesive around that connector before it comes off as a preventive measure?

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I wonder if it would be a good idea to add some silicone or other adhesive around that connector before it comes off as a preventive measure?
I don’t know! Reasoning?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just ordered the Napa repair kit. Be here tomorrow FYI ( punkin’ nVulpine) from Napa, not going through the dealer b.s for this minor repair. Thanks for the info.
Are you going to order a new 2302-MSS Uni-Clip Defroster Tab ... / button.. Perhaps you can salvage the one on there now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window electrical defroster glue / adhesive? s-l500

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Are you going to order a new 2302-MSS Uni-Clip Defroster Tab ... / button.. Perhaps you can salvage the one on there now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window electrical defroster glue / adhesive? s-l500
Not knowledgeable on that info so I’m going to try and use the one that’s on there. If not maybe you can update me on what to order. Thanks.

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
repair seems ok,time will tell.

Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
In one of the threads on this subject either the dealer or the owner put a little cable tie around the wire on the contact side of the wire holder on the inside of the window. This "strain relief" prevents the wire from tugging on the contact point when opening the rear window.

I had my contact re-glued at the dealer under warranty, but they didn't add the cable tie. So I did.

There is a picture of this in one of the other threads.

Looking at the picture above of the contact button, I just saw the name "Frost Fighter." That is apparently the brand of choice for cement for gluing the button back on, but there are others. "Conductive epoxy" may be key words in your search engine.

unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU - Sting Gray 2.0L Hard Top Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My right lead came off for the 2nd time. The first time it detached, I had the dealer fix it because the vehicle was relatively new...too new for me to want to fix it myself. They fixed it back in Feb/March. Well, I was on a camping trip this weekend and noticed that it was detached again...same side.

It only happens on the right side (as you're looking at the tail gate from outside). There's enough length...it's not yanking off, but I think it's flexing the solder over time because maybe the cable's length is a bit too long where it connects.

I'll have them fix it again, then I'm going to use some silicone glue to secure the cable to the glass maybe 3-4" from the solder point so that it shores up the play that's causing the connection to break.

While this may be a known issue, it appears there's no known resolution stops it from recurring.

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
This has been happening to me since I bought my Rubicon in 2018. It's now happened to me 7 times. Out of the 7 times they replaced the glass 3 times and it falls off 2-4 weeks later. It's clearly a flawed design on the 2018 and up jeeps. I've been fighting with Chrysler for months because they keep charging me deductibles. The only way they will service this as recalls is if everyone starts open Chrysler service tickets. Lets get it started. This will be my last Jeep if they don't recall it and keep giving me the run around This is my 2nd wrangler and a grand Cherokee in the past - Never had this problem with any of the others.

The best part is, when I told the Chrysler lady this is known big issue sine they released the JL, she told me she doesn't believe anything on these threads. She'll believe it when Chrysler does a recall. Great customer service over at Chrysler.
Sponsored