Sponsored

Rear window defroster unsoldered?

Ohio83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 ZJ
Story time!

This is a supplier issue, and I assure you Jeep is just as upset about it as you are.

I have intimate experience with the robotic assembly line purchased by Fuyao Glass America to manufacture the JL rear glass. The issue you guys are having lies with the EBL button, one of the first processes that is handled by two robots, and I am all too familiar with those stupid, stupid little buttons.

This machine was the source of nightmares as well as sleepless nights for many of my colleagues. As hard as the OEM for the assembly line tried, they could not perfect the process due to scope creep, interference by Fuyao "engineers" who knew better, and good old fashioned sabotage as a way to get out of paying the remainder of the machine cost.

Several extremely talented and experienced automation experts worked around the clock for months away from their families in a group effort to overcome the issues, and trust me, there were A LOT more than just the EBL's...

Eventually after the efforts that were in no way their responsibility to undertake, the OEM for the assembly line was kicked out of the factory so Fuyao could avoid paying the remaining $250,000 they owed for the original purchase of the equipment.

Fuyao is a Chinese company that operates a factory just outside of Dayton, Ohio. They have had multiple OSHA violations, lawsuits by suppliers and customers, and even deaths within the factory. Look it up. This is all the more impressive considering they have only been operating in the US for a handful of years.

Truly sorry you guys are having these issues. But Fuyao is the devil.
Sponsored

FPD

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 grand Cherokee overland, 2009 porsche 911 Turbo cab
Story time!

This is a supplier issue, and I assure you Jeep is just as upset about it as you are.

I have intimate experience with the robotic assembly line purchased by Fuyao Glass America to manufacture the JL rear glass. The issue you guys are having lies with the EBL button, one of the first processes that is handled by two robots, and I am all too familiar with those stupid, stupid little buttons.

This machine was the source of nightmares as well as sleepless nights for many of my colleagues. As hard as the OEM for the assembly line tried, they could not perfect the process due to scope creep, interference by Fuyao "engineers" who knew better, and good old fashioned sabotage as a way to get out of paying the remainder of the machine cost.

Several extremely talented and experienced automation experts worked around the clock for months away from their families in a group effort to overcome the issues, and trust me, there were A LOT more than just the EBL's...

Eventually after the efforts that were in no way their responsibility to undertake, the OEM for the assembly line was kicked out of the factory so Fuyao could avoid paying the remaining $250,000 they owed for the original purchase of the equipment.

Fuyao is a Chinese company that operates a factory just outside of Dayton, Ohio. They have had multiple OSHA violations, lawsuits by suppliers and customers, and even deaths within the factory. Look it up. This is all the more impressive considering they have only been operating in the US for a handful of years.

Thanks for your response...Do you know what FCA is trying to do to fix this manufacturing defect?

JEEPJLU18

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Sport-S 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I have a month old 2018 (750 miles) JLUS that has the passanger side defrost wire come off. Been two weeks since the dealer ordered a replacement window and still don't have an updated as to when it will be in.

FPD

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a month old 2018 (750 miles) JLUS that has the passanger side defrost wire come off. Been two weeks since the dealer ordered a replacement window and still don't have an updated as to when it will be in.
Good Luck...some of us have been waiting several months for a replacement window.

JEEPJLU18

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Sport-S 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Just got an update from customer service, they are saying June 18th and thats why the dealer wouldn't say. Customer service wants to close the case due to the fact that there was also a speaker cover on back order that is now in even though the window is not.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Story time!

Is Fuyao the supplier for the fragile windshields also?

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Just got an update from customer service, they are saying June 18th and thats why the dealer wouldn't say. Customer service wants to close the case due to the fact that there was also a speaker cover on back order that is now in even though the window is not.
That’s what my dealer said too, no specific date but just the arbitrary “mid June“ which is annoying to because I have the soft top waiting to go on

Been waiting three months

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Story time!

So, in summary, FCA picked a manufacturer who is known to have a problem but who likely had the lowest delivered price to FCA. Is that correct? If FCA had quality on their minds 24-7, they wouldn’t have selected this supplier, right? Is that the summary?

SPOOF4269

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito 2016 Jeep Cherokee Altitude 2014 Nissan Rogue SV
Dealer just called and said the glass is in, was on order 2 months to the day

FPD

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer just called and said the glass is in, was on order 2 months to the day
Same here...we’ll see how long this one lasts...

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
There is a metallic "cold solder " epoxy that could repair these ; yes, it's a defect, why should you deal with it, but it also seems to be a huge waste of materials to reject the whole rear glass for a faulty solder joint.
My JK tab separated, I did use the conductive epoxy to repair it. (Out of warranty)
Glass repair shops and auto body supply houses should have this. Surface prep is key, but it beats waiting , and then having the Jeep at the Dealers.

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
4 fixes since Nov.2018 new window ordered Jan. still waiting? Don't need it for 7 months now but it's a crazy thing, glad window at least in one piece! lol

I never used the defroster, only discovered cable disconnect by accident, First fix re solder, second and third fix Epoxy fourt fix other side, now both sides connected, still grid not working??? Same trouble on my 2012 JKUS fixed it myself first time with conductive epoxy, stayed fixed! Does not seem to work on JL's????

Go Jeep!!!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
There are holes in the glass for the hinges, wiper and fluid nozzle, yes?

Seems FCA could use an extra two holes to bolt these connections to the defrost electrical grid. This would eliminate the need to solder anything and very little risk of failure.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Mine worked for about 2 weeks. Took it back to the dealer and they glued the connector back on. Still didn’t work. Finally got back there last week so they could order new glass.

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Im on my 4th back window i stopped tinting them finally till they figure it out waiting on my 5th back glass supposedly on backorder with all the pieces to fix my wobble box i have a fca case open for that as well patience is what im told i need. Running out lets hope the store has more. And its on sale
Sponsored