Sponsored

Rear window defroster unsoldered?

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I noticed this was broke on my window last week. Who knows when it actually broke since I rarely open it. Dealer said it’s been a common problem and they see it all the time. He also said they can’t fix it and the entire window needs to be replaced. The rear window itself is almost $1700. Still waiting on the replacement.
Sponsored

MassWrangler

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
First Wrangler? They have had the steering/suspension problem for 25 years. It is not just a Jeep problem, most solid axle vehicles have had similar issues.

What price would you pay for a vehicle that the rear defrost stops working after one week?
HA! Yes, its my first Wrangler, that obvious? :) I know...its not a passenger car - its the polar opposite. I rented one last month in Aruba and took it through the national park there, which is like the Martian landscape. I was so blown away at what it could do that I decided I had to own one. I just need to get used to the way it handles on the road. Small tradeoff for being able to go where a vehicle shouldn't be able to.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed this was broke on my window last week. Who knows when it actually broke since I rarely open it. Dealer said it’s been a common problem and they see it all the time. He also said they can’t fix it and the entire window needs to be replaced. The rear window itself is almost $1700. Still waiting on the replacement.
What's going to be fun is if they don't resolve the problem and we have to pay for it once warranty is over.
They had an engine problem with the Pentqstar in JKs. So they extended the warranty if that problem came up after the normal warranty expired. Maybe if enough of these occur they will extend it for them.

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
What's going to be fun is if they don't resolve the problem and we have to pay for it once warranty is over.
They had an engine problem with the Pentqstar in JKs. So they extended the warranty if that problem came up after the normal warranty expired. Maybe if enough of these occur they will extend it for them.
If the replacement window defroster connection is the same then it’s just gonna break again. According to the dealer it is. It should be covered until a Proper fix made. But that probably won’t happen since the JK’s had it to.

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
So update on my forth visit. They did not fix it for the 4th time. They are contacting Jeep Canada to try to come with a permanent fix. I am pending there call probably in a few day.

Sponsored

HRDRCK

First Name
Tashsa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon hard rock
Occupation
Dental professional
Sooo, after waiting about 4 months to get my new rear glass in. Due to the defrost coming unsoldered.. about two weeks later getting stuff out of the back of the jeep, I just happened to look up and SURPRISE!!! it’s not soldered again same side.... really wish I would have kept my JKU at this point.

443516E7-5E68-4C10-A0FF-9CB4DF48E8F5.jpeg

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Sooo, after waiting about 4 months to get my new rear glass in. Due to the defrost coming unsoldered.. about two weeks later getting stuff out of the back of the jeep, I just happened to look up and SURPRISE!!! it’s not soldered again same side.... really wish I would have kept my JKU at this point.

Sorry I don’t own a JL yet so I’m not certain, but it looks like there is not enough slack in that wire to open the rear glass. Does this look normal or did the dealer cause this failure?

Nevermind, looking at other pics I now realize the wire harness in this picture is attached to the glass, not the pillar.

Did you actually use the rear defroster since being fixed? If not, then it’s simply a mechanical failure instead of being caused by electrical heat resistance causing the solder to fail.

These connections must be so fragile that simply opening/closing the glass causes the failure or just a bump in the road?

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many

Yours looks like the other defroster connection that broke. Now I get to look forward to both sides breaking. My windows on order but there really is no point in fixing it.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yours looks like the other defroster connection that broke. Now I get to look forward to both sides breaking. My windows on order but there really is no point in fixing it.
Just chew a wad of conductive chewing gum and stick it back on.

Bob K

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Ocean Blue - ; 2002 Ford f350
After reading this thread, I decided to take a look at mine and sure enough, it is detached. Less than 750 miles on Jeep. Probably was detached from day one.

Sponsored

BeerGuyNS

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Occupation
Retail Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Ha Ha... Spent most of the winter thinking the rear defroster just really sucked until i noticed this last weekend. I'll mention it at next oil change. If they want to waste money and replace a whole rear window instead of a simpler fix, let'em.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Mine looks like a kid designed and installed them. 19 JL 2DR RUBI
20190407_183835.jpg
20190407_183815.jpg
Since yours have not fell off yet, I suggest put a tape (gorilla or whatever is the strongest) next to the tab as a "reinforcement". Better yet epoxy them, but that will not play well if you need dealer to replace the rear window, since they can deny your warranty if they see epoxy residues.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal

That looks like a defective cold solder from the factory to me.

FPD

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 grand Cherokee overland, 2009 porsche 911 Turbo cab
That looks like a defective cold solder from the factory to me.
Was first told new window would be delivered early March, then end of March, now dealer has no clue. All they tell me is its back ordered. Total bullshit. This is clearly an engineering defect given how many folks are having the same problem multiple times. Now i cant put my soft top on till this new window come in.(whenever that is)

Jeepcares...can you spell manufacturing defect??
Sponsored