Rear window defroster unsoldered?

tom231

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport. 2018 F-150 XLT Sport
I was in a meeting today with Mike Manley and Tim Kuniskis and Mike asked if they were still ignoring the guy from Wisconsin. Tim said "hell yes".:(
I don't know who those people are, but I knew they were ignoring me...Bastards!
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
FCA CEO and President of Jeep North America. Discussion ended when they finished their plan on ignoring any customer that complains on a forum. Did I tell you Tim is my son?

tom231

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport. 2018 F-150 XLT Sport
FCA CEO and President of Jeep North America. Discussion ended when they finished their plan on ignoring any customer that complains on a forum. Did I tell you Tim is my son?
That explains a lot. Do you think being a smart ass and belittling people on a public forum with legitimate issues is going to help or hurt future sales of FCA vehicles? :swear:

Gone Bamboo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I didn't realize how many others have had this same problem. Just the other day I noticed my rear defroster wire was detached from the solder, so I took it to my dealership. They sent me to a nearby auto glass shop that they work with, and I got it fixed there in less than 10 minutes. They "cold soldered" the button back on with some sort of silver substance (looks like mercury) ... and once it was dry, I just snapped it back on.

I'm not sure how it sheared off in the first place. I seriously doubt that the wire got caught on something because it's in that far upper corner of the Jeep, and it was still secured in the clip. I think it was just a bad solder that failed, possibly due to the many days of heat and extreme cold fluctuations I've put it through.

Hopefully this fix will last.

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
The defrost cable is disconnected again, this will be my second replacement.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Mine came off sometime this week. I noticed it not working yesterday and sure enough, it popped off. It looks like it would be an easy fix with some sort of conductive epoxy but would need to read through all the threads on this. Mine last 13 months and nearly 15k miles.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Mine came off sometime this week. I noticed it not working yesterday and sure enough, it popped off. It looks like it would be an easy fix with some sort of conductive epoxy but would need to read through all the threads on this. Mine last 13 months and nearly 15k miles.
If you find a fix short of taking it to the dealer let me know. I never use mine being in Fort Worth and I have one of the Brawley lights on my rear window and don’t want to have to fool with removing that and replacing it into a new window.

BigBeard

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed mine had popped off WHILE installing the brawlee light, now I really don't want new glass, might just try the epoxy

Skyranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Add mine to the list 8 months old 10,000 miles
I’ve been checking it every time I open the glass

Sponsored

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
You mean like this https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-21351-6PK-Electrically-Conductive-Defogger/dp/B01G723E3E/
or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FXYNRS
or this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OSRQD1Q

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
I'm racking up my list of club memberships with this vehicle and now I guess I get to join this club, too!

The guy who scheduled my appointment seemed confident that they solder these back on in how, so I've got an appointment coming up on Thursday. We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck!

IMG_20190223_175822.jpg

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Mine just came loose again. 4500 miles and my second rear glass due to same issue. Looks like Jeep will be replacing it every 2k miles until the warranty expires.
I had mine replaced at the 6k oil change. Looked back in the rear view mirror today and noticed it dangling again. 2500 miles later. This will be my second glass. I hope they find a fix! @JeepCares

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
I had mine replaced at the 6k oil change. Looked back in the rear view mirror today and noticed it dangling again. 2500 miles later. This will be my second glass. I hope they find a fix! @JeepCares
I ended up repairing the second glass with some conductive epoxy. Fix was easy and the hold seems to be more sturdy. 3 months and still holding strong. I'll go this route until there's a better fix.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I ended up repairing the second glass with some conductive epoxy. Fix was easy and the hold seems to be more sturdy. 3 months and still holding strong. I'll go this route until there's a better fix.
And the defroster works as designed?
Sponsored