Rear window defroster unsoldered?

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
@ToolMan514 , how did you remove the button from the connector?
Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I took mine to the dealer and of course I advised them that many here on the forum were having new rear windows ordered. He didn't understand why, I told I didn't know why either, unless maybe they've fixed the process at the plant (but I've learned that's not the case because it seems that many new rear windows were still having the connector pop off. SOOOOO, they shop these out to a little Mom and Pop Glass and Interior guy up the street, and I figured that was worth a try vs waiting on a new window and being there for ever waiting for them to install it!!! The guy fixed it with a 2 part part epoxy, and it's been 2 weeks now, all still good. It was done neat and looks factory. He also applied a small wire tie a couple of inches from the connector securing the wire and preventing any movement when opening and closing the rear window. We'll see.......

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
FYI.. Jeep rear glasses, the fix for the defroster probem, are now back ordered as of 1/18/19
But it clearly doesn't fix the problem so why go through that???

Ram2Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Noticed the past couple of days with -3 degree weather that my rear window wasn't defrosting; have had the jl since 1/1/19.
Looked in the back and found a dangling wire.
Called to get an appointment and was first told the earliest they could get me in was the 11th of February. After some brief conversation I will be going in tomorrow morning.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
AS mentioned before, 3 "fixes" by the dealer, one solder, failed 2nd day, 2 with conductive epoxy which I thought would solve everything? First of 2 failed couple days second of 2 still stuck on but no juice/heat??!! Dealer has ordered new window, hate this but gotta try something! Pain in the butt, I'll let them try again? I'm sure I won't get the work done until spring when I won't need it! lol

Mirrors on same switch work fine but separate fusing, both mirror (10amp) and rear window (30amp) fuses are fine?

Go Jeep!!!

JL Sahara

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Went to my dealer last night, they told me FCA no longer will replace the back glass for the broken defroster, the told me to leave it for 2 days and they will have to send it to a glass shop for repair , not very happy but they advised FCA will only pay for a repair??

KarenBrown

First Name
Katen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Self employed
Went to my dealer last night, they told me FCA no longer will replace the back glass for the broken defroster, the told me to leave it for 2 days and they will have to send it to a glass shop for repair , not very happy but they advised FCA will only pay for a repair??
Interesting. I wonder what they will tell me? They better give me a loaner Jeep.

JL Sahara

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Interesting. I wonder what they will tell me? They better give me a loaner Jeep.
Also advised that I need to leave it for 8 days for the weld recall, they did off a loaner for that , so most likely will have them do the defrost repair at that time

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JL Sahara
@KarenBrown

Do know that dealerships are known to tell you lets say, whatever they decide to tell you.

Just because a specific dealer says FCA will not do this or that, but only will do this, is more often then not, a crock of chitt.

Follow the forum closely and you will come to realize what I just said is not an overstatement.

Anyway, with that said, do know that your dealership is not to be 100% believed / trusted.

Watch your back so to speak.

IF you are not sure if the dealer is doing you right, then YOU should get FCA involved. Contact FCA Customer Service. Let FCA tell you for example whether they will or will not replace a part.. Tell FCA you cannot get a loaner vehicle...

In regard to this rear window defroster thing... repairs aren't working and rear window replacements are failing as fast as they are putting them in.

Sponsored

Ram2Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got back from my 10am appointment and they ordered a new rear window. They came out and looked at it and said we are going to order a new one.

JL Sahara

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Just got back from my 10am appointment and they ordered a new rear window. They came out and looked at it and said we are going to order a new one.
I would hate to have to play the game of going to other dealers to get things fixed , strange that they refused to order one for me

Ram2Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would hate to have to play the game of going to other dealers to get things fixed , strange that they refused to order one for me
Each dealership is different as we all know. What one fixes the other doesn't.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Each dealership is different as we all know. What one fixes the other doesn't.
@Ram2Jeep
@JL Sahara

Getting FCA/Jeep Customer Service involved and the dealer forced to communicate with FCA, more often then not, levels the playing feel so to speak.

I try not to get FCA involved but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Also, sometimes... very often, just communicating in person/ face to face with the Service Manager (not the Service Writer) and voicing your concerns politely and mentioning you might reach out to FCA about the issue, will go a long way in getting the lets say right thing done.

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
New warranty window on order after 3 failed dealer fixes! We'll see what happens, it's a call back when new window arrives so maybe it'll be a call to say no go, another fix! I fixed my own on my 2012 JKUS one shot of conductive epoxy and all was well til I traded it???

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored