Rear window defroster unsoldered?

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I wonder what’s causing them to fail. Defective attachment from the factory or are they over heating?
Glass is flexing to much, see it on the Jeeps a lot because there is no frame that flips up with the glass.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I used the "Permatex" kits, twice, once on each side. I did this after the "Dealers Fix" (soldered!) lasted 5 days! Long as you follow directions perfectly the conductive epoxy kit should do fine, clean well!! MoPar also sells a "Conductive Epoxy" kit for this purpose, never used it, but they very well couldn't use the ole "not covered by warranty" trick!!!

I've used the epoxy on my JK's they had the same trouble til I epoxied them! Hoping the JLU stays fixed as they did? JK had one side problem, my JL has both sides repaired now, kits are 16 bucks apiece, dealer should be paying but they do a lousy job, I don't really want a total window and all the crap replaced! If they go again I'll be trying that I guess?

Go Jeep!!!

Jamesaich

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
my plan is to get one ordered on warranty, then fix it with dielectric epoxy. If it is still holding I will cancel the replacement.
FYI.. Jeep rear glasses, the fix for the defroster probem, are now back ordered as of 1/18/19

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I can't believe FCA still has a problem with this?

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
Add me to the ever so growing list of people with detached rear defroster leads.
IMG_1412.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Two fealer "fixes", 2 done myself,now self fix holding but not working??? Fuse good? Just found ound during a major ice storm up here, perfect!

Looks like I'll have to join the back order club and do a new window, not sure how long that will last??

Great!!!

Go Jeep!!!

al16830

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
This just happened to my new Jeep 6 months old hasn't had the first oil change yet. Pisses me off same issue on my 2012 several years ago. FCA really needs to get this issue resolved.

KarenBrown

First Name
Katen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Self employed
Lol so heres my adventure with that:

September we get our first snowfall, cause you know Canada. Anyways after the first week of September, was when I noticed my rear defroster on the passenger side disconnected. I take it in for warranty, the lady says she put the order in. 3 weeks later I call for status update, and found out not only did she fail to put the parts order in, but she had also quit her job the day after my initial appointment. So I had to go back take pictures again and this time have them order the part for real. I had to call FCA Canada to expedite the order, as it was getting colder now. My window and defogger parts finally come in at the end of November, only to be told it can't be installed until the first week of December; because the glass tech wasnt in. SOOOOO last Wednesday I got my new parts installed. Glass and rear defogger components work as advertised. Then fast forward to this past Monday. And it disconnects again, I call my dealership and they went across the street to an auto parts store, bought conductive epoxy, sanded down the contact points and reinstalled the defogger to the window. They also ordered me new defogger components and a new rear window in case the epoxy doesn't work. Also I can't use my remote start for 24 hours because the rear defogger turns on automatically when the temperature reaches -10c or lower. Hopefully I won't need that new window and defogger, and hopefully this will be the last time I have issues with that defogger.
over 2 months to get it? wow

KarenBrown

First Name
Katen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Self employed
Lemoning a vehicle over the rear defroster line coming loose multiple times?

:cwl:
I am told to bring my jeep in to the dealer in 2 weeks (Feb 4) so the Chrysler rep can inspect the window since this is such a RARE occurrence.
I am on my third solder disconnect and 2 new glass already. I told them I have a trip to NY planned Feb 10 and I want a working rear defroster. Service manager at dealer says he can make that happen. Now I hear on the forum that the rear glass is on back order? Not happy with Jeep and my dealership AT ALL!
I told my service dept to read the jeep forum on this issue and I was told it is just a small handful of people compared to the hundreds of thousand of Jeeps sold. I just counted 37 people with this issue just on this 7 page thread. I'm sure there are hundreds maybe thousands of others out there that just don't get it fixed or mention it because their jeep is out of warranty. I didn't spend this much money to be treated as if this is my fault. That is the way they make me feel when they keep saying they have never seen this happen and never more than once.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I am told to bring my jeep in to the dealer in 2 weeks (Feb 4) so the Chrysler rep can inspect the window since this is such a RARE occurrence.
I am on my third solder disconnect and 2 new glass already. I told them I have a trip to NY planned Feb 10 and I want a working rear defroster. Service manager at dealer says he can make that happen. Now I hear on the forum that the rear glass is on back order? Not happy with Jeep and my dealership AT ALL!
I told my service dept to read the jeep forum on this issue and I was told it is just a small handful of people compared to the hundreds of thousand of Jeeps sold. I just counted 37 people with this issue just on this 7 page thread. I'm sure there are hundreds maybe thousands of others out there that just don't get it fixed or mention it because their jeep is out of warranty. I didn't spend this much money to be treated as if this is my fault. That is the way they make me feel when they keep saying they have never seen this happen and never more than once.
Go to a different dealership if you feel they are assholes.

Throw some painters tape on it and your defroster will work fine in the meantime. Or have someone throw some solder on it and rejoin it to where it popped off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, to add to my story above, now window will be replaced??? One re solder by the dealer, lasted 2 days! One epoxy fix by dealer lasted one week! One epoxy fix by me still holding? (did it ever work is the question?) Other wire disconnect, another epoxy fix holding well. First ice storm NO defroster, Meter says its working, no heat, no melt??

Pain in the butt that it is I'm going to let my dealer "deal" with it. Good thing we are Jeep nuts, it is very aggravating. It's particularly since our 2 last JKUS had same problem, 2007 , and 2012? The epoxy fix worked perfect on those?

I bet by the time I get new window it'll be spring and who knows how long the new window connections will last? UGH

Go Jeep!!!

JDBull7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi JLU
My dealer replaced the rear glass under warranty after the passenger side broke off. Took 4 weeks for new glass to come in and opening the glass once for it to brake off again. It's back to the dealer for me.

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds like soon as the window replaced or "fixed" apply tape! lol but not so funny!

Go Jeep!!!

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
For those that want to fix themselves:

Also, it may make sense to hot glue near the attachment for additional support so any repaired tabs and/or not yet failed tabs are less likely to detach.

Last edited:

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
For those that want to fix themselves... www.frostfighter.com

Also, it may make sense to hot glue near the attachment for additional support so any repairs on not yet failed tabs are less likely to detach.
Wow, that two-part epoxy is much nicer than the Permatex kit that I tried the first time it popped off. I like that option!

The Frost Fighter product doesn't seem to be available in stores where I live, and shipped it's $50 or more. Also, since it works best when it's warm, gluing the tab back on in freezing temperatures is logistically complicated unless you have a heated garage, and then it's at least a 30 minute cure time. Soldering took only a few minutes to complete, costs nothing, and I can use the defroster again right away. Of course, I have the tools and am able to do it, so there's the trade-off.

I documented my efforts last week. Sorry, the video is not great and my hands were frozen while doing it.

Sponsored