First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Mine just came loose again. 4500 miles and my second rear glass due to same issue. Looks like Jeep will be replacing it every 2k miles until the warranty expires.
On my JK, I knocked off the connector too. I used the defroster repair kit purchased online. Like above, a conducting epoxy. Worked great since then. When it was setting up, I used painters tape to help hold it in place. I never removed the tape after. I think it helped from me catching things on it and ripping it off again.

May want to add some type of tape to it. I load and unload hockey bags and sticks from my Jeep all winter, so I know how I did it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Ntegtmeyer,

Thanks for the info, good to know the windows come complete. I'm glad for the conductive epoxy fix though. When I did my 2012 JKU it lasted til the vehicle was traded!

Go Jeep!!!

FishyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Anybody have this happen yet or am I just lucky? JLUS rear window defroster came unsoldered already, 4 months 2600 miles, very little off road? Rear window raised maybe dozen times at most, seems like a short life solder!!
censored.gif

Had it happen on my 2012 JKUS but at 50k and lots of off road!! Pain in the butt, dealer tried to re solder, crap job. Found a kit for repair with some kind of electrical epoxy compound, worked better but tricky.

Go Jeep!!!
Yep. Happened on my 2018 JLU built in March. Just noticed that it became unsoldered in October.

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
UPDATE!!

Dealer did NOT use conductive epoxy, they soldered AGAIN, came off in one day????

Just bought an epoxy kit, I'll do it myself scr-- the warranty! Guess my service will go back to my old dealer if he'll take me!

Go Jeep!!!

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Pic's? Mine seems ok ... not sure what I'm looking for.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not good at getting pics on here.

The wire and connector that comes out at the rear door and connects to the metal defroster on your rear window. It seems they are not doing a good connection at the Jeep factory and also folks seem to be hitting them and they break their solder connection. That can happen fairly easy as in loading the rear compartment with larger objects. It happened on its own on my JLU, on my 2012 JKU I hit it loading a snow blower in he back, daaa!

If you rear (window) defroster is doing it's job you are golden if it's not melting the frost/ice then the connection may be broken. Seeing that the dealer has failed me twice, I decided to by the epoxy kit and try myself? Next time they owe me a new window as promised last try!!!

Go Jeep!!!

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
My defroster wire (built in June) fell off yesterday. I went to my dealer and they set me up will a local well known Auto Glass franchise for the repair.
The repair tech said they used a conductive epoxy. It took them about 15 minutes to repair. They put some masking tape over it which he said I can remove after 24 hours. He also said not to turn on the rear defroster for a day as well.
20181120_140357.jpg

20181120_140339.jpg

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yup, same thing, fell off again in a day after the 24 hour wait!! They, the dealer told me they ordered a new window thru MoPar? I marked the window before I brought it in, no change when I confronted them they said they found someone to do it with conductive epoxy, what I wanted in the first place! It work great on my 2012 JKU but not so great this time?? I bought a kit, cleaned it all up and did it over myself, left it alone for 4 days and left on the painters tape! Working OK so far and has not fallen off yet!!! I guess if it happens again I'll demand a new window, especially now thanks to this form it comes from MoPar (Jeep) all complete with wiper hinges and all!

Sure wish you luck with yours, My '12 JKU repair lasted a whole winter til I traded it with my own "conductive epoxy" repair! I gues with the JL this "break" is fairly common?

Go jeep

Jamesaich

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
D4E61D9D-FBBF-4980-A892-51E2372FCF36.jpeg
Going on 3rd replacement rear glass! Every 2nd day, after I get it back from service, it pops off. Starting lemon law since it’s been in the shop for 27 out of 37 days! The sticker, from the last replacement, is still on it!

jeffrey4x4

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLSTC
D4E61D9D-FBBF-4980-A892-51E2372FCF36.jpeg
Going on 3rd replacement rear glass! Every 2nd day, after I get it back from service, it pops off. Starting lemon law since it’s been in the shop for 27 out of 37 days! The sticker, from the last replacement, is still on it!
Mine just popped off today. Hopefully I will have better luck but probably not.

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
I take it this wire is actually two wires - one on either side and either or both can break at any given time with or without hitting them? I'm now going to have to go out tomorrow and actually look at each.

Do you discover this break only when the rear defrost doesn't work or when the wire ends up dangling free? Well - according to the 2 pic examples one looks free to dangle and the other is held in by some contraption. I only ask because I haven't had to use the rear defrost much as only the windshield has frosted over thus far. I want to catch this one in the bud if it's going to happen.

Thanks! And good luck with your solutions. What a pain.

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I had the same issue. The dealer replaced the entire glass assembly under warranty. I believe there is a delay with shipment now though

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering about lemon law ... SME thing 3x and you have a case, right? Crazy how often this is happening for some!

JDBull7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi JLU
My defroster hasn't been working last few days and I finally remembered to look at it this morning and sure enough the solder broke. I have an appointment at dealership on Thursday but didn't realize you need the glass replaced. I guess I'll see what they say,

jeffrey4x4

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLSTC
I take it this wire is actually two wires - one on either side and either or both can break at any given time with or without hitting them? I'm now going to have to go out tomorrow and actually look at each.

Do you discover this break only when the rear defrost doesn't work or when the wire ends up dangling free? Well - according to the 2 pic examples one looks free to dangle and the other is held in by some contraption. I only ask because I haven't had to use the rear defrost much as only the windshield has frosted over thus far. I want to catch this one in the bud if it's going to happen.

Thanks! And good luck with your solutions. What a pain.
Mine was dangling when I went out to get in the Jeep this morning. I had remote started it and all heating devices were on, heat ,steering wheel, defrosters etc. I didn’t notice it until I saw the wire dangling in my rear view mirror.
Sponsored