Rear window defroster unsoldered?

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Mopar has a 2 year warranty from when the part is installed by the dealer... so it seems as though it's just going to be a rinse and repeat cycle.
The parts replaced under warranty are only covered until the bumper to bumper warranty ends. If you pay for a part replacement after the warranty ends then it is covered for whatever warranty period the part comes with.
Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The parts replaced under warranty are only covered until the bumper to bumper warranty ends. If you pay for a part replacement after the warranty ends then it is covered for whatever warranty period the part comes with.
True, but under the terms of most warranties, if an issue is continuing it is considered to be the original failure.

So, for example, if the rear window defroster cable falls off under warranty, if it recurs out of warranty it should still be considered the original failure and should be covered.

HoboJeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
This is the new rear window that the dealer replaced because the original rear window defroster broke, it only lasted 30 days.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster unsoldered? 20210313_132805
Dang that sucks. I'm afraid to go look at mine.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Yup. Mine came off as well. Of course I noticed it the day after my visit for the free oil change lol. It’s starting to warm up so I’ll get it on the next visit

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
My new rear windshield is on back order.... I hope it lasts longer than 30 days when it finally arrives.

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt
For whatever reason I came across this thread and thought, next time I'm in the Jeep I should take a look at this and what do you know, mine has detached. The kicker is I'm a month out of warranty.

str8cruzin

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR (2.0T)
I had to replace both rear defroster tabs. The first one broke within the first year and was likely broken for a while before I noticed since it just started getting cold.

The worst part is my local dealership does not work on glass at all so I had to bring it in and wait 2 hours for them to tell me, yes in fact it is broken and covered under warranty. Considering it just takes a second flip up the rear window I'm not sure exactly what took 2+ hours. Come to find out they did a full inspection of my car even though I came in just to get the tabs fixed. Once the dealership told me it was covered warranty I still had to take it to a local glass shop myself for the repair.

Glass shop finished up in 30 minutes when I got there and a snapped on the tab a couple days later. The invoice was for a whopping $30 for the repair which was covered by the warranty. A week later the opposite tab broke off and decided I didn't feel like waiting 2 hours so I skipped ahead and just took it to the glass shop myself. They were nice enough to give me a discount and I was in and out in less than 30 minutes. In the future I'll likely just replace it myself and skip the warranty since my time is worth more to me. The glass shop mentioned that they get in Jeeps all the time for this issue, JKs and JLs alike. Sorry to hear so many of you are having the same issue.

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
So mine was fix for the 8th time. I had a windows replacement for the third time. My warranty now done for this for the futures what can I do so it won't happen again. To me the cable has the same issue when close and open there is tention and eventually will hapoend again. They never fix the initial issue and will happen again suggestion?

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I used this stuff and it has been holding for 3 months so far. I also added zip ties to the wire to keep it from pulling out. I did put electrical tape on for about a week to hold while it dried and I forgot about it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster unsoldered? 1622224723859
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster unsoldered? IMG-0645.JPG

Sponsored

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, BMW M5 E34
Just picked up my car today, a 2020 with 7000 miles and the rear defroster looks like the below/attached. I'm assuming this is a repair and not how it is from the factory? (I'm referring to the cleaned up area of the element).

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster unsoldered? IMG_1666.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster unsoldered? IMG_1667.JPG

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I know FCA is using a conductive glue or epoxy to make repairs. Looks like there are 3-4 adhesive options? Mopar has a adhesive. Frost Fighter is a 2 part epoxy. Permatex and Loctite have what looks to be the same product that is cured with a curing agent.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-21351-Electrically-Conductive-Defogger/dp/B000HBGKWE

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Loctite-21351-Rear-Window-Defogger-Tab-Adhesive/236610134?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=837&adid=22222222222118600115&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=74904300149289&wl4=pla-4578503903612484&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=236610134_10000000631&wl14=rear window defroster tab adhesive&veh=sem&msclkid=a540e9a05f9812e629f7897b8af7d104&gclid=a540e9a05f9812e629f7897b8af7d104&gclsrc=3p.ds

I am not sure if it is possible with a JL but there are guys who make defroster tab repairs by soldering the tabs back on.

Last edited:

mmai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
And its happened for the 3rd time... anyone else still having this issue?

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
2018 JLUS 4 failed "repairs" plus one unsuccessful electrical epoxy repair by myself no luck!!! Finally much to my surprise the dealer installed new rear window and good ever since??!!! I believe they installed a new wire harness also and it seems extended!

This all started about 200 miles after purchase new in Feb 2018 and rear window being used only about 4X!! New window at about 30K miles under warranty. However after all that struggle each time I use the rear windo I anticipate the "dreaded undoing"!!!!

Good luck everyone! Wonder if later models still suffering!!!

Go Jeep!!!

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody have this happen yet or am I just lucky? JLUS rear window defroster came unsoldered already, 4 months 2600 miles, very little off road? Rear window raised maybe dozen times at most, seems like a short life solder!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster unsoldered? IMG_1667.JPG

Had it happen on my 2012 JKUS but at 50k and lots of off road!! Pain in the butt, dealer tried to re solder, crap job. Found a kit for repair with some kind of electrical epoxy compound, worked better but tricky.

Go Jeep!!!
So far has happened to me on 2 of the 4 JL's I've owned...
Sponsored