Sponsored

Rear window defroster unsoldered?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Mine 6th time fix work for 3 month broke again. Lol to the dealer again I go.

Is there a permanent fix?
Mine is a 2018, how long this will still be able to fix under warranty?
What happen if keep happening after warranty is done knowing it has been fix 6+ time already?
@JeepCares might be able to share with us, on this one. For all to see. Will FCA stand by their product, or just abandon you, and reoccurring issues(defects), when the warranty expires??

Sponsored

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I have been dealing with this since early 2018, the last fix was a new wire assembly from inside the top. Seems to have extended wire length to window so this fix has worked since last Feb. ????

They replaced wire harness cuz the last three fixes never work even before they cam unsoldered, found out harness connection bad I guess???

If after actual warrenty ends and trouble keeps happening I believe FCA has to fix?

Go Jeep!!!

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
So an update. The dealer told me it would probably not be fix under warranty because it happen too many time.......... Can they do that???? I am very very angry right now. Don't matter how many time they fix it, they keep puting a Band-Aid on it. Instead of having a permanent fix.........

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Status update on my tab repair. I Had used The permatex brand tab repair epoxy.
Quick version is the Permatex repair failed after 14 months following a grid line repair.
this time I will try the frost fighter silver epoxy. I have used a similar product, Arctic silver, for attaching heat sinks several times over the years...stay tuned.

Sponsored

acftmec

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ Impact Orange/ '20 JLU Sport S Bikini Pearl
Well made it over a year of owning the JLU and bammmm got hit with the detached defrost cable. Has anyone had success with dealership repairs or still a crap shoot?

IMG_0392.jpg

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Well made it over a year of owning the JLU and bammmm got hit with the detached defrost cable. Has anyone had success with dealership repairs or still a crap shoot?

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster unsoldered? IMG_0392
Mine came unattached within a few months of ownership going into winter last year. The epoxy fix that they did has stayed connected for over a year. I will say though that my rear window defrost doesn't seem to get that hot and barely does any defrosting.

The last time I was in for oil change and tire rotation I asked them to check and they said it was working to specs. In my old Mazda I could turn the rear defrost with the window all iced and within a few minutes it would be clearing. I barely get lines after 10-15 minutes. The side mirrors clear pretty quickly so the circuit is working but not impressed with the rear defroster. The rear eventually clears but I think it's more the cabin heating up that does it

Boomer75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be JLU

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster unsoldered? IMG_0392
I had mine repaired thru the dealer. Not sure they still use the same process, but at the time they had a repair kit to reattach it and if that didn't work they replaced the glass.

Good luck!

Baddjonez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
I am on my third repair ( once on the left, 2 times on the right side). The dealer immediately stated they are ordering a new rear windshield but...... on infinite back order. So it looks like I will get the new one after I will actually need a rear defroster. We love the truck in all other ways, this is just a disappointing repeat repair. The truck only has warranty for a year, what is going to happen when it happend on the 4, 5 and 6 time?

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My last fix is still holding. I am convinced that the real problem is the loose and insufficient contact of the tab connection. Look inside the rubber boot at how little metal contact area is there & then consider the gauge wire going to the crappy connector. I put 4 dime size pieces of aluminum foil (un coated) between the two to tighten up the connection and use a little more of the contact in the boot.
I donā€™t expect a warranty coverage on the rear window because I damaged & repaired the grid myself. That one is on me.
If it fails again, I will change the tab and connector style to the new frost fighter design. I will solder the tab to a small strip of copper and then use the Arctic silver epoxy to attach that to the window contact point. It will provide a better connection and much more contact area for heat distribution.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine 6th time fix work for 3 month broke again. Lol to the dealer again I go.
Is there a permanent fix?
Mine is a 2018, how long this will still be able to fix under warranty?
What happen if keep happening after warranty is done knowing it has been fix 6+ time already?
Mine came unattached within a few months of ownership going into winter last year. The epoxy fix that they did has stayed connected for over a year. I will say though that my rear window defrost doesn't seem to get that hot and barely does any defrosting.
The last time I was in for oil change and tire rotation I asked them to check and they said it was working to specs. In my old Mazda I could turn the rear defrost with the window all iced and within a few minutes it would be clearing. I barely get lines after 10-15 minutes. The side mirrors clear pretty quickly so the circuit is working but not impressed with the rear defroster. The rear eventually clears but I think it's more the cabin heating up that does it
I am on my third repair ( once on the left, 2 times on the right side). The dealer immediately stated they are ordering a new rear windshield but...... on infinite back order. So it looks like I will get the new one after I will actually need a rear defroster. We love the truck in all other ways, this is just a disappointing repeat repair. The truck only has warranty for a year, what is going to happen when it happend on the 4, 5 and 6 time?
Hello everyone-- I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you've been having lately. I recommend getting an appointment scheduled with a nearby Jeep dealer to get this properly diagnosed and serviced. If you'd like additional support while working with your dealers, please feel free to send our JeepCares team a private message with your current mileage & model year. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns in the meantime!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Happended to my JLUR, still waiting for the jeep dealership in norco ca to call me back because they were supposed to order me a new rear windshield, its been over 6 months now and still haven't heard anything. Btw my last post was how they took a whole day to change my oil

PghJeeper88

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hello everyone-- I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you've been having lately. I recommend getting an appointment scheduled with a nearby Jeep dealer to get this properly diagnosed and serviced. If you'd like additional support while working with your dealers, please feel free to send our JeepCares team a private message with your current mileage & model year. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns in the meantime!

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Mine has done this also. I sent you a message.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Happended to my JLUR, still waiting for the jeep dealership in norco ca to call me back because they were supposed to order me a new rear windshield, its been over 6 months now and still haven't heard anything. Btw my last post was how they took a whole day to change my oil
Hi @Jeepsmashin ! Sorry to hear about the part delay you've been experiencing lately. Unfortunately, COVID-19 has placed an immense amount of pressure on our suppliers. However, I can certainly look into your situation if you'd like additional support. If this is something you're interested in, just send us a private message!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Per usual, this is a tacit admission Jeep continues to churn out new vehicles but wont pull a part off the line to repair a vehicle for someone whose money they already have. šŸ˜¢
Sponsored