Rear window defroster unsoldered?

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Hey Karen, we still have the same issue! I started lemon law process today! I am done with Jeep, last car I buy from them. I have my 5th rear glass “ordered” from service center...yes in quotes bc Jeep is a joke. Service manager stopped returning my calls/emails, so I’m unsure of its status. It’s westbury Jeep, Nassau county NY (the biggest seller of Jeep/dodge in the US, supposedly) - hope the Jeep lady that comments, sees this post. I have an open case with Jeep being expedited. Was told Jeep will most likely fight it, by lemon law attorney, but I have a strong case since it’s the 5th glass! Will let you know outcome, when I find out tomorrow!
Lemoning a vehicle over the rear defroster line coming loose multiple times?

:cwl:
Sponsored

Jamesaich

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
Lemoning a vehicle over the rear defroster line coming loose multiple times?

:cwl:
Yeah guy, my car has been broken for 67 days. In the shop for 33 and a 5th rear window on order. Why the f*ck do I pay this much? To drive a loaner car? To have the hassle leaving work early to pick up/drop off my 8 month old truck?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jamesaich

I absolutely, agree with @simpleJL . Seems nonsensical at best, to be talking lemon law when your only complaint is a rear window defroster out of service.

Also, I am at a loss as to why your Jeep was in the shop for "33 days". This makes little sense to me.

Were my defroster wire to un-attach, I would stop in at dealer, they would document and order a new rear window and I would drive away that day. I would return for the replacement window install which requires an hour or so to do.. NO, I would not allow my dealer to have my JL sitting around their lot, waiting on a replacement window.

Anyway, as I said, nonsensical at best to be talking lemon law on a vehicle that merely has a window defroster out of service.

By the way, one of my residences is in Upstate NY and yes, my JL spends time there in the Winter.

Jamesaich

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
@Jamesaich

I absolutely, agree with @simpleJL . Seems nonsensical at best, to be talking lemon law when your only complaint is a rear window defroster out of service.

Also, I am at a loss as to why your Jeep was in the shop for "33 days". This makes little sense to me.

Were my defroster wire to un-attach, I would stop in at dealer, they would document and order a new rear window and I would drive away that day. I would return for the replacement window install which requires an hour or so to do.. NO, I would not allow my dealer to have my JL sitting around their lot, waiting on a replacement window.

Anyway, as I said, nonsensical at best to be talking lemon law on a vehicle that merely has a window defroster out of service.

By the way, one of my residences is in Upstate NY and yes, my JL spends time there in the Winter.

Haha. All good! You guys win. I will bow down to all the big boys here.

And next time you are near my service center, try and drop in and let them know a problem. You can push your way through the 30-50 cars waiting in the express lane. You can attempt to get a seat In the waiting area. Can try to get through the 30 people waiting to talk to an advisor. 2 month wait list to drop a car off and get a loaner.
But yes you, guys are still right.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I plan to solder mine back on, but I can't do it at these freezing temps. When I find a warm garage in the next couple of weeks I'll post the video results... I don't want to change the glass, just for it to happen again. And again. And again.

Defroster Button.jpg

Soft top is not an option for me. I need a roof rack and basic security. My Sunrider will be installed this spring though!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jamesaich

Curious where in NY state, is the dealership you have chosen to use?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Westbury jeep, Long island
Figures ..... We have had other's here sating that dealership is ........ well, not so great lets say. To bad you cannot find another dealership.

Anyway, no reason they need to keep a JL overnight or for days in regard to a needed window replacement.

Jamesaich

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
Figures ..... We have had other's here sating that dealership is ........ well, not so great lets say. To bad you cannot find another dealership.

Anyway, no reason they need to keep a JL overnight or for days in regard to a needed window replacement.
They aren’t anymore. Last window they installed, they picked my car up and delivered it back to my job, 3 hours later. Manger told me they will keep replacing glass. That’s it, only option. So I’m done. 5th time is alittle absurd!

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
They aren’t anymore. Last window they installed, they picked my car up and delivered it back to my job, 3 hours later. Manger told me they will keep replacing glass. That’s it, only option. So I’m done. 5th time is alittle absurd!
my plan is to get one ordered on warranty, then fix it with dielectric epoxy. If it is still holding I will cancel the replacement.

Sponsored

Jamesaich

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
Haha, logged in to read up on the drama! I guess I must have caused this all, by stating a problem. Maybe just trying to help a few people out, that have similar situations.

Yes, 4 rear windows (5th ordered), on a 8 month old Jeep, is a problem. No, I’m not soldering or applying metallic epoxy, to my (under warrenty) Jeep window. (Which btw, voids your warrenty).

Mysteriously posts are gone.. and no, I had nothing to do with it! Posting/commenting on a Jeep forum, about my Jeep, Brought out a few hecklers! It’s all good, doesn’t bother me at all! Made my day alittle better, after dealing with my truck, that still doesn’t have a rear defroster! But, I will enjoy my rear defroster! Thanks buddy!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It works again! I soldered mine back on this morning with no difficulty. #HappyMe
Did you solder that little button connector back onto the window? I suppose one could simply solder a wire to the glass and replace the factory connecter with a spade or bullet connector if you want to go rogue.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Did you solder that little button connector back onto the window? I suppose one could simply solder a wire to the glass and replace the factory connecter with a spade or bullet connector if you want to go rogue.
Yes, I soldered the little button back on with my 40 year old 140W pistol iron that hums and vibrates when I use it... (maybe it's time to replace that one!)

I took a video while I was doing it, but my hands were freezing and I look like a shaky old man working above my head! I did it early one morning this week, the only day in the foreseeable future that it warmed up to just above freezing.

Rear Defrost Fix.jpg

I tried to get the Tuck Tape residue off, left over from the first time I tried to glue it back on with conductive epoxy. That time it never hardened properly and waiting 5-24 hours to glue it again is not like me. Soldering allows you to test and use it right away. It's really the only (non-replacement) option if you don't park your rig in a warm garage.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yes, I soldered the little button back on with my 40 year old 140W pistol iron that hums and vibrates when I use it... (maybe it's time to replace that one!)

I took a video while I was doing it, but my hands were freezing and I look like a shaky old man working above my head! I did it early one morning this week, the only day in the foreseeable future that it warmed up to just above freezing.

Rear Defrost Fix.jpg

I tried to get the Tuck Tape residue off, left over from the first time I tried to glue it back on with conductive epoxy. That time it never hardened properly and waiting 5-24 hours to glue it again is not like me. Soldering allows you to test and use it right away. It's really the only (non-replacement) option if you don't park your rig in a warm garage.
I wonder what’s causing them to fail. Defective attachment from the factory or are they over heating?
Sponsored