Rear window defroster unsoldered?

JDBull7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi JLU
My defroster hasn't been working last few days and I finally remembered to look at it this morning and sure enough the solder broke. I have an appointment at dealership on Thursday but didn't realize you need the glass replaced. I guess I'll see what they say,
Update: Dealer called to say my new rear glass is in as they said the existing glass and wire can’t be fixed. Since this was my first service visit I also had them check my steering drift issue. They said I needed a new steering stabilizer too and said the stabilizer is on back order. They said stock showed 1600 BO’s with 3500 in process and said they were told it will be in in about 7 - 10 days. Since I want to have both warranty repairs done at same time some I will have to wait and see if the latest rear window hold up better.
Sponsored

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So this has happened to us as well, passenger side has detached, JLUR. Are they seriously replacing the entire glass to fix this issue? I think I'm more inclined to fix the thing myself. I hate anyone touching my vehicles for anything. It always comes back with something else wrong or damaged in the process cause no one gives two shits about a vehicle that isn't their own. More of an inconvenience for them that takes them away from post on facebook.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
I stuck mine back on with conductive epoxy after the first one was replaced at the dealer. One week and counting, all good. Will report back with results if it makes it a month or two.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I stuck mine back on with conductive epoxy after the first one was replaced at the dealer. One week and counting, all good. Will report back with results if it makes it a month or two.
Add me to the list !!Passenger side off!!! Which kit did you use??? I hate dealing with the dealer.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
So this has happened to us as well, passenger side has detached, JLUR. Are they seriously replacing the entire glass to fix this issue? I think I'm more inclined to fix the thing myself. I hate anyone touching my vehicles for anything. It always comes back with something else wrong or damaged in the process cause no one gives two shits about a vehicle that isn't their own. More of an inconvenience for them that takes them away from post on facebook.
Im with you, I noticed mine was off yesterday, so I stopped by the dealer and of course I got the run around......., " I need to call for an appointment, and we usually send them a glass guy, blah blah blah.......", I advised him that I do not believe the Jeep is recommending that with the JL. He's like, "we always do that". As I tell him it's a JL!!!! {parked right in front of him}. I think I'm going to fix it. Screw them. [17k BTW, I guess I'm lucky it lasted this long].

Sponsored

Sabrina84

First Name
Sabrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
Same...passenger side off. Dealer told me.they dont touch that and it wouldn't be covered under warrenty. Then blamed me for knocking it off! I havent had anything in the back other than groceries the full 3 months I have owned it! Can anyone tell me if they have had this covered under warrenty in Canada? I have emailed FCA to complain about how rude this dealer was with me

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Same...passenger side off. Dealer told me.they dont touch that and it wouldn't be covered under warrenty. Then blamed me for knocking it off! I havent had anything in the back other than groceries the full 3 months I have owned it! Can anyone tell me if they have had this covered under warrenty in Canada? I have emailed FCA to complain about how rude this dealer was with me
My dealer in Waterloo had mine fixed by Go Glass, next day, no charge. They did the job in 20 minutes while I waited.
The Jeep service tech was well aware of the issue from the JKs and now apparently on the JLs too. It was repaired 2 months ago.
Sounds like your dealer tech is new.
If you can, go somewhere else.

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
My input.

I had this same issue, first time i went to use my defrost and my side mirrors and rear window didnt defrost.

Checked online and found the soldering connection issue so went to check and sure enough, my right ride wasnt even connected and was broke off.

Brought it into the dealership and at first they said it wasnt covered under warranty, but after showing them the warranty they came back and said it was indeed covered. They also stated FCA doesnt want them to fix the solder, and wants them to just replace the whole rear glass.

They said it will take 3-5 days for the glass to come in then they will replace it.

Seems overkill, but whatever, ill take a whole new rear window.

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this here, I added a dab of hot glue to glue the defroster wire to the little black clip that is a couple inches before the tab connects to the window. Having this glue here alleviates all pulling on the actual solder/tab from opening/closing the rear glass, seems to have solved my problem along with me epoxying the tab back on, it hasn't budged and there's no pulling on it now with the little bit of glue added

Sponsored

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I have the same issue and its taken them 4 weeks to get a replacement back window. My jeep has been in the shop for a month waiting on the window and for a Death Wobble fix. I'm about to Lemon Law it as its been in the shop for random issues 5 times now.

KarenBrown

First Name
Katen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Self employed
I am waiting for the dealership manager to tell me what they plan to do about this third time it has come off.
I mentioned the kit to the service guy that someone suggested instead of replacing the expensive glass again and he said it can get too hot and the back window can shatter?? I don’t understand that. It’s still under warranty and I need a rear defroster.

Jamesaich

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
I am waiting for the dealership manager to tell me what they plan to do about this third time it has come off.
I mentioned the kit to the service guy that someone suggested instead of replacing the expensive glass again and he said it can get too hot and the back window can shatter?? I don’t understand that. It’s still under warranty and I need a rear defroster.
Hey Karen, we still have the same issue! I started lemon law process today! I am done with Jeep, last car I buy from them. I have my 5th rear glass “ordered” from service center...yes in quotes bc Jeep is a joke. Service manager stopped returning my calls/emails, so I’m unsure of its status. It’s westbury Jeep, Nassau county NY (the biggest seller of Jeep/dodge in the US, supposedly) - hope the Jeep lady that comments, sees this post. I have an open case with Jeep being expedited. Was told Jeep will most likely fight it, by lemon law attorney, but I have a strong case since it’s the 5th glass! Will let you know outcome, when I find out tomorrow!

KarenBrown

First Name
Katen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Self employed
Thank you. Anxious to hear how they will fix my repeated problem. I’ll keep you posted as well.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
This is the first issue I've had mine came loose today.
Sponsored