Rear window defroster unsoldered?

PapaPark

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4Door
As soon as my window is replaced I’m taking the hardtop off, I’m putting the soft top on, and I’m going to try and sell the hardtop. I’m betting that the new window will have the same problem at some point and I’m not gonna deal with it anymore.
Sponsored

MD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus ES350, Ford F150, Kawasaki Teryx Sport
Saw this on another post so maybe it is true that they do not need to replace the glass .......

They don't solder it, they actually glue it....

Jeep dealership will repair the terminal that has come loose using the Mopar® Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit. Part number: 04549275AB.

The kit contains conductive epoxy- "air curable silver coating" which they will use to fasten that terminal back to the window.

This kit can be used to quickly and easily repair rear glass heating grid lines, bus bars, terminals and pigtail wires.
The Mopar® Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit. Part number: 04549275AB does not work in hot climates ie AZ. For what its worth: the passenger side rear window defroster button on my 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited came off in February. Took it to the dealer where it was purchased from and they supposedly ordered me a replacement rear window. After being told that the rear window is on back order since February I went into the dealer to see what was going on on May 27th. They told me the service guy that handled it did not write a service order on it yet the parts Dept was aware that my part was on back order. On May 27th I was told about the "new" repair kit that eliminated the need for rear window replacement. They had a couple of kits in and told me that my jeep was the first one that they were trying this repair kit on. They said the repair called for a 3 hour job which seemed like a very long time to just clean and glue something on. Received a call 4 hours later that my vehicle was ready. When I went to check out what had been done, the button came off in my hand in front of the service writer. The service writer agreed that obviously the repair did not work and informed me that I should contact Jeep Customer Service so that they can expedite a rear window to be installed on my jeep. He gave me the number. I called Jeep Customer Service and was informed that my case would be handed over to a customer rep who would contact me in a day or so. Heard from a customer service rep a week later who told me she would look into it and get back to my no later than Monday June 10th. Lets see what happens............ It is obvious that the rear windows being produced are being used on the assembly line and current owners are being made to wait............

PapaPark

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My window broke on April 26th while I was standing under it, I wound up with stitches in my hand from the falling glass , and now they can deal with my lawyer . They told me the window will be delivered July 3rd and replaced as soon as possible. I’m putting the soft top on as soon as it’s repaired and I’m selling the hardtop. I’d like to take a saws all to it and dump the pieces in the showroom. Totally disgusted !

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Mine has come unsoldered. Dealership had a third party fix it with conductive epoxy. They put tape over the contact points until the epoxy cured. I let it cure for 3 days before carefully removing the tape. 24 hours later one side has come off again. Went to another dealer and they ordered me a new rear window. Took 3 weeks to arrive. It's being installed as I type this. We'll see how thing holds up.

PapaPark

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has come unsoldered. Dealership had a third party fix it with conductive epoxy. They put tape over the contact points until the epoxy cured. I let it cure for 3 days before carefully removing the tape. 24 hours later one side has come off again. Went to another dealer and they ordered me a new rear window. Took 3 weeks to arrive. It's being installed as I type this. We'll see how thing holds up.

Sponsored

PapaPark

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My window shattered April 26 and I’m still waiting for the window to come in. Totally disgusted with the dealership.

MD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar® Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit. Part number: 04549275AB does not work in hot climates ie AZ. For what its worth: the passenger side rear window defroster button on my 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited came off in February. Took it to the dealer where it was purchased from and they supposedly ordered me a replacement rear window. After being told that the rear window is on back order since February I went into the dealer to see what was going on on May 27th. They told me the service guy that handled it did not write a service order on it yet the parts Dept was aware that my part was on back order. On May 27th I was told about the "new" repair kit that eliminated the need for rear window replacement. They had a couple of kits in and told me that my jeep was the first one that they were trying this repair kit on. They said the repair called for a 3 hour job which seemed like a very long time to just clean and glue something on. Received a call 4 hours later that my vehicle was ready. When I went to check out what had been done, the button came off in my hand in front of the service writer. The service writer agreed that obviously the repair did not work and informed me that I should contact Jeep Customer Service so that they can expedite a rear window to be installed on my jeep. He gave me the number. I called Jeep Customer Service and was informed that my case would be handed over to a customer rep who would contact me in a day or so. Heard from a customer service rep a week later who told me she would look into it and get back to my no later than Monday June 10th. Lets see what happens............ It is obvious that the rear windows being produced are being used on the assembly line and current owners are being made to wait............
UPDATE June 14,2019
Jeep district rep came to dealership to discuss this matter. They approved ordering a new rear window due to repair kit failure. They will call me to provide eta of rear window Monday.

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
5th time dealer try to fix it.
Failed and they are waiting for more info from higher on how to fix this.

20190617_164929.jpg

MD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patrick, If your dealer had any brains or customer service concerns he would know after the first try that the fix isn't going to work. My dealer contacted the Jeep district rep who came over and met with the service manager to discuss this issue, which is happening all over the country. I was informed by the service manager that the district rep authorized the order of a new rear window on my 2018 JLUR. I was told that Chrysler had cancelled ALL JL Wrangler rear window orders because they thought they had a fix. Now they have a service/public relations issue on their hand and are scrambling to quash this issue before it becomes so big that it will affect sales and/or lead to legal action. Hopefully they will replace ALL defective JL wrangler rear windows, which will be costly to them and correct the problem from happening in the future so that we can all remain loyal jeep customers.............

It seems that you have been very patient and understanding by allowing a 5th try to repair this problem. If they still drag their feet try the following:

1. Letter explaining your issue to the owner of the dealership(s) and demanding satisfactory resolution.
2. Jeep Customer Care (which can be hit or miss depending on who is assigned to your case).
3. An internet and social media blitz informing the public of the problem naming the dealership and all involved.
4. Local TV stations that have customer assistance programs. They are always looking for the next story.
5. Legal Action

If you follow the above, I am sure that you will catch someones attention real fast. Good luck

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed mine came off on passenger side :angry:

Sponsored

Hark

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Same thing happened to me. The dealer tried really hard to blame it on me somehow ‍♂ I was just about to let it go but I googled it and found this forum and I’m so glad. I think it’s going to help convince them that I didn’t do this. Sorry all of you are dealing with this and especially sorry for the ones who have had a more frustrating or even injurious time with it. We’re not alone!

PapaPark

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing happened to me. The dealer tried really hard to blame it on me somehow ‍♂ I was just about to let it go but I googled it and found this forum and I’m so glad. I think it’s going to help convince them that I didn’t do this. Sorry all of you are dealing with this and especially sorry for the ones who have had a more frustrating or even injurious time with it. We’re not alone!
AFTER TWO MONTHS - my window was replaced 2 days ago. I’m taking the hardtop off and putting the soft top on because somewhere down the road the same thing is gonna happen to the new window too. They didn’t fix the problem, they put a bandaid on an open wound.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, same thing happened to me. 10K miles on JL. Dealer ordered a new window. Jeep Cares is also tracking the problem.

MD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE June 14,2019
Jeep district rep came to dealership to discuss this matter. They approved ordering a new rear window due to repair kit failure. They will call me to provide eta of rear window Monday.
UPDATE: JULY 10, 2018
Dealer informed me that my rear window came in. They installed a new rear window and all appears to be fine. The new window appears to have a better rear defroster than my original one. Lets hope they are manufactured better than the original rear windows.

PapaPark

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: JULY 10, 2018
Dealer informed me that my rear window came in. They installed a new rear window and all appears to be fine. The new window appears to have a better rear defroster than my original one. Lets hope they are manufactured better than the original rear windows.
They put a new window in mine also after a 2 month wait due to a back up. It’s the same connection, nothing different than the first one. At some point I’m guessing that I’m gonna have the same problem again. My window shattered and I was hit with the glass causing me to get stitches. My lawyer is working on it and I hope they’ll make changes after getting sued so no one else gets injured like I did.
Sponsored