Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.harvestr.ru
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2.0 2018 gray
Occupation
Near Moscow
Anybody have this happen yet or am I just lucky? JLUS rear window defroster came unsoldered already, 4 months 2600 miles, very little off road? Rear window raised maybe dozen times at most, seems like a short life solder!!
censored.gif

Had it happen on my 2012 JKUS but at 50k and lots of off road!! Pain in the butt, dealer tried to re solder, crap job. Found a kit for repair with some kind of electrical epoxy compound, worked better but tricky.

Go Jeep!!!
I dare to assume that it was rigth contact if you stand behind the car. Similarly. Mileage 1000 km. Soldered by a good soldering iron in 5 minutes. A hot tin drop is made on the contact and is applied to the heated glass. Everything. Clay is bad - it will fall off, as there is heating.

Plamry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Same problem here. Local dealership submitted the info to Jeep and the warranty claim was rejected! If there is a rep here I’d like to hear from you. What a crappy thing

BigFatPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
I guess i joined the club sometime in the last couple weeks. Glad i found this post. i was racking my brain trying to figure out how i broke it.
From all the pics posted it looks like we all had the passenger side fail. Has anyone had the driver side connection fail?

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Both sides!!!!

Jeep has ordered new window, on order 3 months, promised end of March delivery??? Don't need it til next winter now! lol,but not really a laugh!

This has been somewhat common since the JK U came out in 2007? My 2007 had the problem and my 2012, back then conductive epoxy was an easy fix and lasted! Does not seek to be the case now, one solder fix, two conductive epoxy fixes no luck??? I'm sure the new window may be the same as per this forum!!

Go Jeep!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Poromenos

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Brought mine in a month ago for same issue. They ordered a new rear window for me. Estimated time of arrival given: unknown.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I called my dealer (Maple Ridge Chrysler Jeep Dodge, in Maple Ridge, BC) and got an unsatisfactory response, saying I had to bring the Jeep in for them to see the unsoldered connection. As it is some distance and knowing they could not fix it without a new window, they agreed to order the part and call me when they had an ETA. After a couple of weeks, I called again and they had no record of the prior call or window order. They again said I had to bring the Jeep in or, if the distance was an issue, I should take it to a different Jeep dealer.

I then took it to another dealer closer to my home. Although the service writer saw the problem, he said he could not initiate an order for a new window until it was looked at by their service manager, who was out for the new couple of hours. I was told to bring it back and then they could order a window.

Three tries and they have not even ordered a replacement window. Now ontop dealer three for the fourth attempt. Thanks, FCA.

AREYOUFUS

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 KL TrailHawk, 1996 ZJ
4th time !

IMG_20190318_175921_01.jpg
I just got word back from the dealership, they are replacing my back glass (first fail). Did they replace yours and then all 4 of them failed? Or did the try the conductive epoxy?

Sponsored

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
First 2 time they just fix the cable. The third time they say they replace the window. But I don't believe it since look at my picture. Notice the burn mark on my defrost line? Those where probably done when the first time it broke, the line fry a bit. When they replace the windows those line where still burn so to me I don't think they actualy replace the windows. I'm going back to dealer today to see what is the 4th time plan is.

MassWrangler

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Wonderful....I have a week old 2018 JL and figured I'd check my cable after reading this thread and sure enough it was just hanging there disconnected. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come. Made an appt at the dealer to have it looked at next week. For a $50K vehicle you'd think at least the defroster would last more than a week.....

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
MassWrangler: Had you used the heater at all before noticing the break? I've been wondering if the unit overheats sufficiently to initiate a crack or break in the connection vs. glass contraction/expansion. Thanks.

MassWrangler

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
MassWrangler: Had you used the heater at all before noticing the break? I've been wondering if the unit overheats sufficiently to initiate a crack or break in the connection vs. glass contraction/expansion. Thanks.
DanFelix: Hi there. Yes, I did use the heater a few times, maybe 2 and was only for maybe 10-15 minutes each time. So yeah, I guess its possible that the rear heater overheats to the point of causing this issue. Being such a common issue I would think Jeep would be aware of the issue and release some sort of recall/fix. Between this issue and the infamous Wrangler wandering on the road phenomenon that I'm forcing myself to get used to, I'm not terribly impressed with the vehicle.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
DanFelix: Hi there. Yes, I did use the heater a few times, maybe 2 and was only for maybe 10-15 minutes each time. So yeah, I guess its possible that the rear heater overheats to the point of causing this issue. Being such a common issue I would think Jeep would be aware of the issue and release some sort of recall/fix. Between this issue and the infamous Wrangler wandering on the road phenomenon that I'm forcing myself to get used to, I'm not terribly impressed with the vehicle.
First Wrangler? They have had the steering/suspension problem for 25 years. It is not just a Jeep problem, most solid axle vehicles have had similar issues.

What price would you pay for a vehicle that the rear defrost stops working after one week?
Sponsored