lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Anyone in Europe had this problem yet ?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rable-wire-hanging-from-the-back-glass.34514/

One of the connections on my rear screen has failed this week.

As per the above link, I am going to attempt a repair myself as to be honest I can't face numerous trips to the nearest dealer for them to attempt the same repair!!

I have already extracted the little tab button from the electrical connector and have ordered some Permatex tab bonding adhesive to glue it back on. I will also use cable ties as per the link to help prevent strain on the connector.

If you haven't suffered this failure yet, it might be worth considering using cable ties yourself as a preventative measure ;)

I'll post an update once the glue has arrived and I have attempted a repair.
Sponsored

Last edited:

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rable-wire-hanging-from-the-back-glass.34514/

As per the above link, I am going to attempt a repair myself as to be honest I can't face numerous trips to the nearest dealer for them to attempt the same repair!!

I have already extracted the little tab button from the electrical connector and have ordered some Permatex tab bonding adhesive to glue it back on. I will also use cable ties as per the link to help prevent strain on the connector.

If you haven't suffered this failure yet, it might be worth considering using cable ties yourself as a preventative measure ;)

I'm not in Europe, but when mine fell off a while back I used this stuff called 'Amazing Goop' to keep it in place. After close to 2 years and multiple seasonal changes, it's still holding strong. I'm sure Permatex will do the job.

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red,

Morning Tony,

I had the same thing happen to me about 2 weeks ago! I took it to my dealer and they have said that it has happened before and have ordered a replacement glass under warranty. I would have attempted a repair myself had they have not

Morning Tony,

It happened to me a week before christmas! I took it into the dealer, and they've ordered a new rear glass. I guess we'll have to see how long this one lasts!
Cheers Chris

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the updates everyone.

I have contacted my dealership by email this morning, with a copy to FCA Customer Service, explaining the failure. I have also attached a photo of the failed connector and a copy of the FCA bulletin.

Because all my closest dealerships are in Tier 3 areas and I am in Tier 2, I am reluctant to travel to a dealership at this point in time. Especially as I have elderly vulnerable parents that I am supporting.

So I have asked them to give approval for me to attempt the repair at home, either with the Permatex electrically conductive adhesive I have ordered, or for them to send me the official repair kit shown in the bulletin.

I've also asked that if the repair proves ineffective, can they get a replacement screen into stock in advance so I only need to make one journey to the dealership.

Let's see what they come back with.
I didn't want to try and repair it and then run into any warranty rejection issues if my repair failed.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps unsurprisingly Jeep Customer Service have said no to a home repair, so I'm off to the dealers on Friday (COVID rules permitting) for a diagnostic inspection :( They'll then decide if they will attempt a repair or order a new screen. Either way, it will mean another visit as they don't have the parts available to attempt either.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been to the dealers today. They have concluded that a new rear glass is required rather than a repair. Now ordered and they will call me once it arrives.
I'm with you Chris in wondering how long the new one will last.
At least if it fails again outside of warranty, I will be ready with the sachet of special glue I ordered :CWL:

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been to the dealers today. They have concluded that a new rear glass is required rather than a repair. Now ordered and they will call me once it arrives.
I'm with you Chris in wondering how long the new one will last.
At least if it fails again outside of warranty, I will be ready with the sachet of special glue I ordered :CWL:
Hi Tony,
Just been informed by my dealer that the rear glass hasn't arrived yet, and that Jeep UK cannot give them an ETA?! It was supposed to be fitted tomorrow - looks like I'll have to keep a microfibre cloth in JL and clear it manually!! :headbang:

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No news on an ETA for mine either :(
And they can't conclude anything from the EML waring light OBD code I emailed them last week without me taking it in.
I'm going to keep driving it as there is no obvious sign of any engine loss of power. They can diagnose the EML warning fault when it goes in to get the screen fixed.
I've had it on boost charge for 24 hours now to see if that brings the ESS back to life as well.

Good to know that Jeep ownership is the same as Land Rover!!! Always something needs fixing :headbang:

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still no ETA from Jeep on the screen. I'm sat at the dealer's now waiting for Jeep to authorise a loan vehicle from Enterprise car rentals. The EML light could be one of 4 sensors which they can't get to until the engine cools down. They suggest not to drive it as the DPF filter could get clogged due to the sensor fault. Then they will need to order the part/s which may or may not be available. I've told them to keep it until sorted, including the ess system.

Perhaps the Landover I had before wasn't so unreliable after all!!!

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still no ETA from Jeep on the screen. I'm sat at the dealer's now waiting for Jeep to authorise a loan vehicle from Enterprise car rentals. The EML light could be one of 4 sensors which they can't get to until the engine cools down. They suggest not to drive it as the DPF filter could get clogged due to the sensor fault. Then they will need to order the part/s which may or may not be available. I've told them to keep it until sorted, including the ess system.

Perhaps the Landover I had before wasn't so unreliable after all!!!
Hi Tony,
I had my 1st service last Tuesday and they gave me the same response for the rear glass! I had the option of leaving JL with them and a replacement supplied, but a horrible thought about batteries not being kept charged made me think again! I did start to wonder if I'd made a mistake with the JL, but I've just got back home from work and it's put a smile back on my face! Apparently patience is a virtue :giggle:
I'll keep everything crossed in the hope that you get a quick turnaround :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always have a smile on my face when driving it and still love the JL, but the reliability has been poor, made worse by appalling service and incompetence from the first dealer I was using to sort out the problems. Hopefully I can get all the gremlins out of it before the warranty runs out. I had planned to keep the Jeep for a long time, but now I am having 2nd thoughts.

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always have a smile on my face when driving it and still love the JL, but the reliability has been poor, made worse by appalling service and incompetence from the first dealer I was using to sort out the problems. Hopefully I can get all the gremlins out of it before the warranty runs out. I had planned to keep the Jeep for a long time, but now I am having 2nd thoughts.
I'm with you on whether to keep it long term or not? I haven't really had too many problems just yet, but it is only 13 months old, so I guess that 'time will tell'! I also agree on the dealer networks - they don't seem to know an awful lot about their product, and to be honest I was really disappointed when I found out that the majority of MOPAR performance parts were not available in the UK.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received a call this morning to say that they were able to identify the faulty sensor yesterday evening and that FCA had one in the UK which was sent overnight. So the EML problem should be resolved today :fingerscrossed:

I reminded them this morning about the ESS and suggested they hold onto my Jeep until they have been able to investigate this. I pointed out to them that replacing the batteries last year didn't solve the problem and that charging the batteries up manually only provides a short term fix of a few days, before the fault returns. I'm sure I've read somewhere that a few have had the alternator replaced and this has provided a permanent cure. Will see what they come back with.

Still no ETA on the replacement rear screen but it has been escalated with Jeep and I got a call this morning from Milan to apologise for the delay and to make sure I was OK with the rental car they had arranged. They have raised a priority ticket to get the part as soon as possible, whatever that means!!

As my aluminium steering box doesn't show any signs of producing the wandering effect that many are reporting, I decided not to raise this issue. If it does start playing up through this year, then I will raise the matter before the warranty expires.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I collected the Jeep this morning.
They assured me the ESS had been sorted. On a 1 hour drive home the ESS didn't kick in once. I even switched off the lights, heating, heated seats and sound system to see if it was related to current draw. None of that made any difference.
To say I am unhappy is an understatement.

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I collected the Jeep this morning.
They assured me the ESS had been sorted. On a 1 hour drive home the ESS didn't kick in once. I even switched off the lights, heating, heated seats and sound system to see if it was related to current draw. None of that made any difference.
To say I am unhappy is an understatement.
Blimey - I'd be peeved too, especially since they said it was sorted? I wonder if they took it out on a road-test?
I'm fairly new to the jeep world, and you might remember that my ESS didn't work from driving it out of the showroom, but since they swapped both batteries it's been fine. I have noticed however, that unless I press the brake pedal fairly hard, mine doesn't kick in? Could it be this or have you tried different driving/braking methods?(meant without any sarcasm) :fingerscrossed:
cheers
Chris
Sponsored