OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Hi Chris, all suggestions welcomed. I've tried with a heavy press on the pedal as when it did work I noticed a light press didn't trigger it. They swapped both batteries last summer and it worked for a week or so, then failed again. Last summer if I charged the batteries manually then again it would work for a while. So I am convinced the fault is with the charging circuit or possibly the IBS intelligent battery sensor that is supposed to detect the battery current draw. It is linked to the ess logic. I've sent a formal complaint to the dealer and to FCA this afternoon, and threatened to get the Motor Ombudsman involved again which I did last year. I have asked them specifically how they tested it yesterday and if they charged the batteries before testing. I've also suggested they stop messing me around, send a recovery vehicle to my house to transport the Jeep to a competent repairer and supply a loan car until they return the Jeep fully working. I'm sick and tired of driving to and from Jeep dealerships. Each trip is a 50 mile round journey and usually they can't fix it while I wait, so every fault results in multiple trips. This is the 5th attempt at getting ess working, so there is obviously something wrong, other than swapping out batteries. Someone mentioned having their alternator replaced. If it isn't the IBS then perhaps the alternator is weak, or something is discharging the batteries when it's parked up. I rewired my dashcams so they are now only powered up when the ignition is on as I thought they may be the cause. I even ran it for a few weeks with the dashcam power supplies totally disconnected but again it made no difference.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've discussed the ESS with them again today and they are adamant that it worked perfectly for their technician when he took it for a road test. And they confirmed that they didn't charge up the batteries at any time whilst it was with them.

Despite a couple of reasonably lengthy journeys over the past two days it hasn't worked for me :(

They are trying to find a JEEP bulletin with details of what parameters affect the operation of the ESS and have said they will send this to me if they can find it.

I've agreed to keep monitoring it over the next few days. If it still doesn't work, they will investigate further when its back in to have the rear heated screen replaced. Latest ETA on the glass is now end Feb.

ferrellmc

First Name
Ferrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I'm not in Europe, but when mine fell off a while back I used this stuff called 'Amazing Goop' to keep it in place. After close to 2 years and multiple seasonal changes, it's still holding strong. I'm sure Permatex will do the job.
From what I'm reading 'Amazing Goop' is not electrically conductive. Did you check to see if the defroster wires are heating up?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
From what I'm reading 'Amazing Goop' is not electrically conductive. Did you check to see if the defroster wires are heating up?
In the cold a couple months back, and even today... they still heat up.

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
This has been happening to me since I bought my Rubicon in 2018. It's now happened to me 7 times. Out of the 7 times they replaced the glass 3 times and it falls off 2-4 weeks later. It's clearly a flawed design on the 2018 and up jeeps. I've been fighting with Chrysler for months because they keep charging me deductibles. The only way they will service this as recalls is if everyone starts open Chrysler service tickets. Lets get it started. This will be my last Jeep if they don't recall it and keep giving me the run around This is my 2nd wrangler and a grand Cherokee in the past - Never had this problem with any of the others.

The best part is, when I told the Chrysler lady this is known big issue sine they released the JL, she told me she doesn't believe anything on these threads. She'll believe it when Chrysler does a recall. Great customer service over at Chrysler.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sad to hear they still haven't found a permanent fix. How difficult can it be!!!!!

After all the problems I had with my JL, I bailed out of ownership as my end of warranty date approached.

Such a shame as when it worked, it was a great vehicle and I would have another one tomorrow if I could be sure of the long term reliability.

The only good news is that after 2 years of ownership, I got back almost what I paid for it due to the crazy used car market prices in the UK in 2021. At least that softened the blow from the pain I went through with numerous trips to incompetent dealers and several occasions where I waved goodby to the JL on the back of a recovery truck.

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Sad to hear they still haven't found a permanent fix. How difficult can it be!!!!!

After all the problems I had with my JL, I bailed out of ownership as my end of warranty date approached.

Such a shame as when it worked, it was a great vehicle and I would have another one tomorrow if I could be sure of the long term reliability.

The only good news is that after 2 years of ownership, I got back almost what I paid for it due to the crazy used car market prices in the UK in 2021. At least that softened the blow from the pain I went through with numerous trips to incompetent dealers and several occasions where I waved goodby to the JL on the back of a recovery truck.
Sadly I'm thinking about selling it as well with 6 months left of payments. I don't have time to keep going back to jeep every 2-4 weeks for a service review, pick it up, drop it off again 2 weeks later when the parts come in. It's ridiculous.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. That was my experience. Made even worse in the UK by the lack of competence at the dealers and with Jeep UK. 50 mile round trip for each wasted visit.

It took them close to three months to get the replacement rear window for mine.

On another occasion I booked it in for a routine service 3 weeks in advance. Dropped it off and left in a courtesy car. When I returned next day to collect it, they casually advised me that they couldn't do the service because they didn't have an oil filter.

Then there was the countless visits to get the front parking sensors fixed. In the end I diagnosed that it had been fitted with the wrong electronic module at the factory.

Oh and numerous trips and recoveries to sort out the 2.2 Fiat/Alfa diesel engine going into limp mode on a regular basis.

The JL made my previous Land Rovers look reliable. And that is saying something:LOL::LOL:
Sponsored