Rear Track Bar Mount Completely Sheared from Frame

Horse1200s

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
All. Stock 18 JLUR. Very little off road use. Noticed a clanking noise from the right rear end. Took to the dealer, could not replicate. Asked to visually inspect which they said they did. Sent me away with a clean bill of health. Noticed the passenger rear squatting hard under acceleration. Called again, said they would look at it but needed to hear the noise. Finally made time today to crawl under and found my passenger rear track bar mount completely sheared from the frame!?
I see the UA5 recall for the front but have others had the rear snap off? Looks like only one side got welded and fatigued the mount and broke? I’ll be taking it in again tomorrow but pretty frustrated they wouldn’t believe me that something was wrong and even more so they said they couldn’t find the issue. Pretty obvious. What are the recommendations for next steps. Already PMd JeepCares and messaged the dealer. Thanks for any and all help!

Stephen

A4D9A591-53D9-4EC8-AA82-EC9636E78C04.jpeg

B7F8A7DB-5343-4958-A0C9-00A989A29701.jpeg

6BA3BEB6-90CE-4F1E-8B76-3B0537F41866.jpeg
Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. They they visually inspected that huh? First I'd cuss out whoever told you they looked at it because they lied to your face.

They need a new bracket and a welder a legit welder, not Tom from bay 5, to put it on there.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
All. Stock 18 JLUR. Very little off road use. Noticed a clanking noise from the right rear end. Took to the dealer, could not replicate. Asked to visually inspect which they said they did. Sent me away with a clean bill of health. Noticed the passenger rear squatting hard under acceleration. Called again, said they would look at it but needed to hear the noise. Finally made time today to crawl under and found my passenger rear track bar mount completely sheared from the frame!?
I see the UA5 recall for the front but have others had the rear snap off? Looks like only one side got welded and fatigued the mount and broke? I’ll be taking it in again tomorrow but pretty frustrated they wouldn’t believe me that something was wrong and even more so they said they couldn’t find the issue. Pretty obvious. What are the recommendations for next steps. Already PMd JeepCares and messaged the dealer. Thanks for any and all help!

Stephen

A4D9A591-53D9-4EC8-AA82-EC9636E78C04.jpeg

B7F8A7DB-5343-4958-A0C9-00A989A29701.jpeg

6BA3BEB6-90CE-4F1E-8B76-3B0537F41866.jpeg
Please document this fully and submit to the NTSB as this is a major safety issue. This is complete negligence on FCA's part and obviously even the QC was shit to miss this.

To fix it they need to remove the failed one, clean up the area to bare metal, weld new one on properly, and then clean up and paint. The problem is I am pretty sure most dealers don't have welders on staff I'd trust with that repair - so they may need to get someone in.

That was the same challenge with the UA5 repairs was getting someone capable of doing it.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Wow. I might be looking at the other control arms welds too. Sucks man. Hope they fix it quickly.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
As others have said, that is your control arm mount. Not the track bar. Do not drive it. There is the possibility of your axle snapping off...

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well looks like I will be crawling under mine again and taking a close look at the welds

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Yikes! There is no way I would trust that dealer to fix this after missing it completely on the "visual inspection." Complete incompetence.

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Robo welds. Problem is there are more mis-welds in the time frame your welds happened. Please post the build date of yours. Might help other owners. How many mile on your rig?
This.

And, screw any talk of "repair" here. I would demand a NEW FRAME. Because every other weld/bracket/mount on that frame is now SUSPECT. This is no longer a road worthy vehicle.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The bracket that sheared is a separate piece welded to the frame ? Meaning, the bracket metallurgy is at fault, not the weld ? The bracket sheared along a stress line,or so it appears, is the bracket one piece, or a welded assembly ? Not a frame, or even frame weld, but a brittle bracket sub- assembly, not confidence inducing
Knowing the build date would help ; even though that's not the frame build date,it's the date the parts came together, all sub-asemblies will have tracking #s..

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The bracket that sheared is a separate piece welded to the frame ? Meaning, the bracket metallurgy is at fault, not the weld ? The bracket sheared along a stress line,or so it appears, is the bracket one piece, or a welded assembly ? Not a frame, or even frame weld, but a brittle bracket sub- assembly, not confidence inducing
Knowing the build date would help ; even though that's not the frame build date,it's the date the parts came together, all sub-asemblies will have tracking #s..
No. The bracket sheared because it wasn't properly welded. It was never intended to have that kind of load on it.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
No. The bracket sheared because it wasn't properly welded. It was never intended to have that kind of load on it.
I see now, the inboard side weld is practically non- existent, so the bracket cracked when that let go. That is going to make a point, dangerous failure , thanks for sharing

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Took to the dealer, could not replicate. Asked to visually inspect which they said they did. Sent me away with a clean bill of health
As if the mistrust between customer and dealer wasn't already at an all-time low.
They left your Jeep on the lot to sit there for an entire day, made up some bullshit excuse and sent you off when you went to pick it up.

Just goes to show how much $@#$%s they give about safety and well-being of their customers.

@JeepCares What are upper management at FCA doing to ensure basic level of competence at the dealers? What kind of training or incentives are they giving the service department so they aren't always trying to weasel their way out of warranty work? And what are they doing to restore consumer confidence? Are these messages even being passed on to the relevant departments?
Sponsored

Last edited: