Rear Tailgate wont shut or open correctly

popstatwo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
I have a new wrangler JL. For some reason the rear tailgate wont shut unless I slam it, and to open it, I have to pull on it a couple of times. I removed some adhesive/padding that was in the area but I'm still having issues. Has anyone had a similar issue? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I have a new wrangler JL. For some reason the rear tailgate wont shut unless I slam it, and to open it, I have to pull on it a couple of times. I removed some adhesive/padding that was in the area but I'm still having issues. Has anyone had a similar issue? Thanks in advance for any help.
Loosen the hinge bolts and make the adjustment. It's an easy adjustment to make. It might take you a few times to get it right, but you'll get it.

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
take it back 2 the dealer if they see u played with it it is on u

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
While the tailgate is closed, check to see if the edges line up with the body/tub of the Jeep. If so, you probably need to adjust the latch receiver. That receiver adjusts up/down as well as forward/rearward and needs to be just perfect for the tailgate to close properly. A little trial and error and you'll get it right.

The hinge bolts are painted so I'd prefer not to break the paint if not needed.

Northern88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler jl 2 dr
Check if it’s the cover that goes over the storage compartment. Mine moves around all the time and will get in the way of the tailgate closing.

OP
OP

popstatwo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
While the tailgate is closed, check to see if the edges line up with the body/tub of the Jeep. If so, you probably need to adjust the latch receiver. That receiver adjusts up/down as well as forward/rearward and needs to be just perfect for the tailgate to close properly. A little trial and error and you'll get it right.

The hinge bolts are painted so I'd prefer not to break the paint if not needed.
This worked perfectly. Thank you for your help.

OP
OP

popstatwo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Check if it’s the cover that goes over the storage compartment. Mine moves around all the time and will get in the way of the tailgate closing.
I checked that and it wasn't the issue. Thanks though

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
Check the rubber boot/seal that meets the the tub (body) to the tailgate and make sure its properly fastened down. Had some work done a few weeks ago and the shop did not reinstall the rubber seal correctly and had a similar issue when closing the tailgate.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
fwiw, I found this thread doing a search for why my 2023 tailgate seemed to need too much force to get it to latch. The tell-tale clue for me was that when it didn't latch, even if I pushed on the door it wouldn't connect. Turned out the striker was set just a little too far back (i.e. frontward). Loosened two bolts using the Jeep toolkit, slid the striker a little forward (i.e. rearward), retightened, tested the fit, snugged everything down and... viola! Tailgate closes like it should. If you do this, just beware of sliding the striker too far. It will latch easily, but you'll notice the gate won't line up well with the body panel.
Sponsored