First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
My son was just driving my '21 JLR, it was snowing, and apparently slid sideways into something that primarily impacting the drivers rear wheel. It could have been a whole lot worse, but broke the rim, and left a scrape on the fender.

Other than the obvious damage to the rim, what should I be looking for, and what are the odds something else is damaged?

PS. No, I don't know how this tire is holding air, let alone how he got back to the house with it. If that would have been me it never would have.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear side impact question IMG_8602
Sponsored

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
That looks like a pretty hard lick. I would inspect the rear suspension (shock mount, spring mounts) and the driveshaft and make sure nothing got tweaked.

if not, I would say send him to church because he is damn lucky

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I bent an axleshaft that way when I was young. I'd jack up that corner and spin the tire to see if it is wobbling.

OP
OP
mqu02

mqu02

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
I just got home and am going to look into it shortly. I can see it moved the axle right a little bit, so I’ll have to see what all is bent. More to come.

OP
OP
mqu02

mqu02

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
Update: I just tore into it and the rear track bar appears to have saved everything else. I would think if it bent the axle I'd see wobble on the brake rotor, but it seems to rotate pretty true. All in all he was pretty lucky and this could have been a lot worse.

I will probably replace the rear track bar with an adjustable one, as they aren't that much more expensive than stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear side impact question IMG_8610

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Check the rear track bar bracket for cracks as well. When I had my 2019, I got t-boned back in 2021. The truck hit my drivers side rear wheel and it sheared off the track bar bracket.

OP
OP
mqu02

mqu02

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
Check the rear track bar bracket for cracks as well. When I had my 2019, I got t-boned back in 2021. The truck hit my drivers side rear wheel and it sheared off the track bar bracket.
Thanks for the heads up. I just took a good look at it, and fortunately it appears fine. I also looked over as many other mounting points as I could see and all look ok. I’m hoping the track bar sacrificed itself to save others!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I slid off a rock and into the side of another on a wheeling trip and folded my rear trackbar the exact same way, but had the same result. It took one for the team and everything else was fine.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I will probably replace the rear track bar with an adjustable one, as they aren't that much more expensive than stock.
Minor point, but if you're lifted, a relocation bracket with the stock bar will provide better ride quality than an adjustable track bar. Only by moving the mounting point can you compensate for the raised roll center of a lifted vehicle.

OP
OP
mqu02

mqu02

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
I slid off a rock and into the side of another on a wheeling trip and folded my rear trackbar the exact same way, but had the same result. It took one for the team and everything else was fine.
This is interesting, and it makes me think an ultra-strong track bar might not be a great idea. Sacrificing the track bar is a whole lot easier repair than anything else damaged along the way.

OP
OP
mqu02

mqu02

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
Minor point, but if you're lifted, a relocation bracket with the stock bar will provide better ride quality than an adjustable track bar. Only by moving the mounting point can you compensate for the raised roll center of a lifted vehicle.
I’ve read about these but haven’t looked into them. I put a slight lift on the rear because from the factory mine was really high in the nose. I ended up with stronger springs and a half inch spacer, and this is a 2 door.
Sponsored