Sponsored

Rear seat USB & USB-C connector standard in Rubicon, or comes with 8.4" system?

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I was wondering if these connectors on the back of the center console was standard on Rubi or do you have to order the 8.4" radio package. I dont need 8.4 and Nav but really want them connectors for kids. Thank you
Sponsored

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 JLUR without the 8.4 and I have them.

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Are they easily retrofittable? I have a Sport S and would love to put them back there. Didn’t know they came on a Rubi.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Are they easily retrofittable? I have a Sport S and would love to put them back there. Didn’t know they came on a Rubi.
Do you want them for power or do you need them to communicate with the radio? I can't imagine they'd be difficult to tap into the existing wiring, but if you're looking for an additional audio source, you'd probably need to swap out the USB wiring harness entirely (and even that I don't think would be too difficult; you'd have to pull some of the dash apart and the center console, but don't quote me on that).

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Do you want them for power or do you need them to communicate with the radio? I can't imagine they'd be difficult to tap into the existing wiring, but if you're looking for an additional audio source, you'd probably need to swap out the USB wiring harness entirely (and even that I don't think would be too difficult; you'd have to pull some of the dash apart and the center console, but don't quote me on that).
Power, just want the kids to be able to plug in their iPads to charge. In fact I specifically don’t want them to run to the radio because I use my iPhone as my audio source and I don’t want the system getting confused regarding their sources.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Power, just want the kids to be able to plug in their iPads to charge. In fact I specifically don’t want them to run to the radio because I use my iPhone as my audio source and I don’t want the system getting confused regarding their sources.
You could tap into the 12v adapter, add a voltage converter to couple USB ports, and pop them in the back by either cutting out the rear of the console for the hub or just have the USB cables pop out from the cup holder. The console media hub is roughly $110-$150, but it does have two type-B mini plugs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear seat USB & USB-C connector standard in Rubicon, or comes with 8.4" system? s-l1600

There are probably a dozen creative ways to make this work, but it all depends on how comfortable you are with wiring. The center console is easy to take apart to a point where you can get some wiring from the front to the back.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Wow. $150? I’ll stick with the 10’ USB cord I string from the dash, lol