Sponsored

rear seat headrests fold down?

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
I think I saw a thread on this once before but can't seem to find it. Sorry if this is redundant! I stopped by a dealership and poked around a 2 dr. rubicon. The rear seat headrests were folded down flat against the seats. Why don't the rear seats in the JLU do the same thing?? Thanks for any replies
Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@nositting; I think @Rhinebeck01 has the correct answer...but if that’s not what you are looking for...I’d venture to say that it all has to do with the different ways the seats fold. Since the two door rear seats fold and tumble, it makes sense that the headrests would need to be folded out of the way. Likewise, the rear seats on the four doors only folds flat (well relatively flat) and it makes sense that the headrests should be out of the way for the seats to fold flatter. But that’s just my best guess...Now the real question is why they couldn’t find a solution that works for both...like giving the headrests three positions...so again...the correct answer is because they don’t...

Last edited:

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I think @Rhinebeck01 has the correct answer...but if that’s not what you are looking for...I’d venture to say that it all has to do with the different ways the seats fold. Since the two door rear seats fold and tumble, it makes sense that the headrests would need to be folded out of the way. Likewise, the rear seats on the four doors only folds flat (well relatively flat) and it makes sense that the headrests should be out of the way for the seats to fold flatter. But that’s just my best guess...Now the real question is why they couldn’t find a solution that works for both...like giving the headrests three positions...so again...the correct answer is because they don’t...
Well.....to be honest, his was the only answer.

My "....next" was a follow up to his answer. Like, case closed next question.

Thank you however for your feedback now we all know

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well.....to be honest, his was the only answer.

My "....next" was a follow up to his answer. Like, case closed next question.

Thank you however for your feedback now we all know
Oh that wasn’t directed towards you...I’ve edited my post and tagged the OP to make that clear...and you are welcome...just trying to add my two cents to the discussion.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's too bad that the Wrangler seats couldn't fold like our Liberty seats did. Those could be folded completely flat and locked in place, including the passenger front... Made hauling things much easier/better.

levichar

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, Ordering '19 JL
I think I saw a thread on this once before but can't seem to find it. Sorry if this is redundant! I stopped by a dealership and poked around a 2 dr. rubicon. The rear seat headrests were folded down flat against the seats. Why don't the rear seats in the JLU do the same thing?? Thanks for any replies
My 2019 JLU Rubicon had the headrests folded flat against the back seats. I moved them to the standard position so people could sit in the back seats....now I have no idea how to get them back flat/parallel to the seat back. Frustrating.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My 2019 JLU Rubicon had the headrests folded flat against the back seats. I moved them to the standard position so people could sit in the back seats....now I have no idea how to get them back flat/parallel to the seat back. Frustrating.
They are not designed to fold flat on the four door, they stick out at 90 degrees when folded. If yours were folded from the factory, there must be a way to get them to fold flat. You might have to modify the folding mechanism. Someone will come up with a hack. Maybe they are delivered to the factory in the completely folded position, when they are moved to the standard position, it activates the folding mechanism which prevents them from folding flat again. Yes, a hack is needed.

B0C69E2F-EF44-4B4A-AB34-0FCA8CFE2996.jpeg

levichar

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, Ordering '19 JL
They are not designed to fold flat on the four door, they stick out at 90 degrees when folded. If yours were folded from the factory, there must be a way to get them to fold flat. You might have to modify the folding mechanism. Someone will come up with a hack. Maybe they are delivered to the factory in the completely folded position, when they are moved to the standard position, it activates the folding mechanism which prevents them from folding flat again. Yes, a hack is needed.

B0C69E2F-EF44-4B4A-AB34-0FCA8CFE2996.jpeg
Yep...that's exactly what I was thinking when I looked and saw it wasn't in the manual.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@levichar

I gather you figured it out..... that indeed, the headrests on a 2 door JL, have the ability to be folded up or down.. Before I removed my 2 door's rear seat, I changed the headrest positions often.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
Sorry to resurrect an OLD thread, but the lack of folding down rear head rests bothers me (yeah, I'll live with but a guy can dream).

Anyway found a video of a JL ? Unlimited (so 4 doors) that had them laying flat. It was a Sahara, but it looks like leather. The channel is Brandon Haneline (not plugging him, and the video was of him driving with the windshield down).

Here is the image:
Jeep Wrangler JL rear seat headrests fold down? Back Seat Headrest.JPG

Why can he do it and none of the rest of us can't? What am I missing?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Sorry to resurrect an OLD thread, but the lack of folding down rear head rests bothers me (yeah, I'll live with but a guy can dream).

Anyway found a video of a JL ? Unlimited (so 4 doors) that had them laying flat. It was a Sahara, but it looks like leather. The channel is Brandon Haneline (not plugging him, and the video was of him driving with the windshield down).

Here is the image:
Jeep Wrangler JL rear seat headrests fold down? Back Seat Headrest.JPG

Why can he do it and none of the rest of us can't? What am I missing?
That is a 4xe. With the batteries under the rear seat, the seats fold differently than other versions.

And I love that the headrests fold down forward on my 4xe, much better in my opinion. But... the rear seats don't fold flat with the cargo area because of the batteries, so don't get too jealous.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
That is a 4xe. With the batteries under the rear seat, the seats fold differently than other versions.

And I love that the headrests fold down forward on my 4xe, much better in my opinion. But... the rear seats don't fold flat with the cargo area because of the batteries, so don't get too jealous.
Thank you. mystery solved. (Never thought about the 4xe version)
Sponsored