Sponsored

Rear rotational knock from differential at low speeds.

OP
OP
Beachcomber

Beachcomber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
To bad about your troubles, this type of stuff is annoying at times. Opinion wise your move to get rid of your jeep seems a little mis-proportioned. If the sound you were hearing was the same as mine then with a little homework on your part to learn as much about the operation of the rear diff and the problems others were experiencing mixed in with patience and help from JeepCares / FCA ECS you might be on your way to a problem fixed.

If your unable to get under your jeep or unwilling to then your path seems appropriate.

Any dealership willing to let you test drive their inventory of Jeeps to check out the noise of the drive line should have been helpful enough to look into your noise issue in greater depth though and come up with a solution you would be happy with.

My 2018 has the noise https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/page-40#post-853552
However the wife's 2019 is noise free and mechanically smooth as silk. Will it stay that way?, possibly not but now with the 2018 on its way to being repaired we both know exactly what to listen for and when it happens.

Regards and good luck with your next ride.
With the steering wander and water in floor boards and the gear noise we gave up. FCA bought it back. That was a process from hell in itself.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Beachcomber

Beachcomber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
We found a 2018 2 dr Rubicon Recon fully loaded with leather and all and only 3,886 miles on it with manual trans. An older couple in their late 50’s traded it in on a Gladiator rubicon.

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
It’s a HUGE issue they are ignoring!!!
It will be a major expense on the owner to fix in the future!!!
They know about this and are doing nothing about a proper rear end to sell to their customers!!!
2018 to present are trouble year they are pumping out 2020’s with the issue!!!
They figure we will follow the line straight into major trouble and HUGE dollars to fix this on our own.

WE AREN’T THIS STUPID. WE PAY EXTREMELY HIGH PRICES ON THESE AND ARE TREATED LIKE FOOLS...

Ericnubs

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 2 Door JL
I had the same issue. Dealership I bought it from said all jeeps made the noise. Then they replaced the rear drive shaft, then they told me it was because I had larger tires and told me it was my problem.
I opened up an FCA case, took it to another dealership, and after 3 days they told me it was the spider gears and replaced them. Haven’t had a problem since.
Opening up a case with FCA really helped.
They are aware of the issue but won’t do anything unless you keep bugging them.

MDub

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I had the same knock everyone is experiencing here. I heard it a few months back and it had gradually gotten worse. It was more prevalent after I installed the Mopar lift. I took it to my local dealer, which has been great, and had to drive their shop foreman around to produce the sound. He asked to leave it with him and he would go through everything. He called a few hours later claiming there were metal shavings and contaminates in the differential. He didn’t mention which parts were actually at fault, but that a new rear axle assembly has been ordered to replace it.

Sponsored

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Here is my noise. Most of the time when I let off of the accelerator around 20 MPH.

I recorded this near my back seat floor board.

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
This thread needs to be on all of the areas on this site for all to see what’s about to become of their 2018-2020!

jholmesjr

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I had the same knock everyone is experiencing here. I heard it a few months back and it had gradually gotten worse. It was more prevalent after I installed the Mopar lift. I took it to my local dealer, which has been great, and had to drive their shop foreman around to produce the sound. He asked to leave it with him and he would go through everything. He called a few hours later claiming there were metal shavings and contaminates in the differential. He didn’t mention which parts were actually at fault, but that a new rear axle assembly has been ordered to replace

I have a 2018 jl sport that had the same noise. Took it to the dealer multiple times before they heard what I was talking about. They found metal shavings in the rear diff & the gears showed premature wear. They replaced the rear drive shaft, rear axil assembly & both axil shafts. They kept it almost 4 weeks waiting on parts that were backordered. I have had it back for 2 days now & the noise is gone(hopefully for good). I have 10k miles on it. Good luck✌
get JeepCares involved. They opened a case for me & communicated with the dealership. If enough people get JeepCares involved maybe they will recall the Dana 44 axils or make Dana. Fix them right.

jholmesjr

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
They know about this and are doing nothing about a proper rear end to sell to their customers!!!
They figure we will follow the line straight into major trouble and HUGE dollars to fix this on our own.

WE AREN’T THIS STUPID. WE PAY EXTREMELY HIGH PRICES ON THESE AND ARE TREATED LIKE FOOLS...
Open a case with JeepCares. They will help you communicate with the dealership & expedite parts ordered. I had the same noise that was rear axil gears & shafts. Get ready for a wait on parts tho. Mine took almost 4 weeks. Good luck.

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Mine has same low speed noise when making tight turns. I also test drove another sahara and it also had the same low speed drumming noise when making turns. So i am thinking it might be because of the LSD diff in the rear and might be common for all dana 44’s?

Sponsored

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I had a random thought today. Haven't researched it enough to know if there is any legitimacy, but I'm wondering what the state of the differential is when the clutches wear themselves out completely.

In other words, for all of us dealing with this, continously change the fluid to remove debris and clutch material every 10-20 thousand miles.

Once the clutch is gone, it might be like an open diff with no clunk. My thought is that the 20 MPH clunk is the clutch grabbing harmonically. If no real damage is being done to the gears, it may eventually "work itself out"

Bryce031

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 06 TJX
Occupation
Firefighter
****** Edited for clarity and updated specifics. I realized at 4 am I had mistyped and misspoken on several things******

So my 2018 JL sport has this noise at super slow speeds. I do have the Dana 44 with the anti spin set-up. Vehicle only has 83 miles on it and I stopped by the dealer after reading the other rear diff noise thread on here. They made me an appointment to bring it in next week and get it listened/looked at. But while I was at the dealership I decided to ask my super cool salesman about driving a few other new on the lot vehicles to see if same noise was heard. Well low and behold I had the opportunity to drive 11 new Jeeps. One of which was a 2020 Sahara that had just been pulled off the transport truck. Here’s the specific list of what was driven.
1. 2019 JL Sport S with base rear axle non 44 and 2.0 engine. (No rear noise)
2. 2020 JL Sport 2.0 all base stock axles non 44 and 3.6 engine. (No rear noise)
3. 2018 Jeep Sahara JLU with tow package and 44 and axle w/anti spin and 2.0 engine. (Yes in rear noise)
4. 2019 Rubicon JL, 2.0 engine. (Yes on rear noise)
5. 2019 JL Sport non S With tow package and Dana 44 rear and anti spin and the 3.6 engine. ( yes on rear noise)
6. 2018 JLU Rubicon Dana 44 front and rear. 3.6 engine. (Yes on rear noise)
7. 2018 JLU Rubicon Dana 44 front and rear w/ 2.0 eng. (Yes on rear noise)
8. 2020 JL Rubicon with Dana 44’s and 2.0 engine. (Yes on rear noise)
9. 2019 JLU Sahara with base axles non 44 rear w/2.0 engine. (No noise)
10. 2020 Sport base model non 44 rear and the 2.0 engine. (No noise)
11. 2020 JLU 2 with the obvious 44 axles and the 3.6. (yes on rear noise)

All vehicles had under 200 miles each and all were driven for 5 miles same route each time. All vehicles with the Dana 44 repeat had the slow rear rotational noise from rear axles. So we are either looking at something that is specific to JL’s or we’re looking at a future major recall from Chrysler. I had three different managers and one tech eventually ride along and listen and everyone was like, what the heck... we’ve never heard that before.

My personal 2018 Sport with the Dana 44 rear antispin/axle is an awesome vehicle and has no problems outside of the rear noise and it drives like a dream in 2H-4H and 4L. If this turns into an issue where I have to leave it for multiple weeks while parts are ordered and it’s repaired, like a new axle. I guarantee you I will lay the keys on the salesman’s desk and walk out and never buy another Jeep again. I am an Emergency Rescue first responder for the County and I have to have my vehicle in tip top shape 24-7 where we live and work and this situation will not be acceptable. Three of or guys on our west end team have new JL’s that were all recently purchased in the last 3 months, and we plan on turning them once again into high water rescue vehicles. We unfortunately go through vehicles every three years doing what we do and we can not be down one man at any particular time.

So my curiosity is, do we really have a major situation coming to thousands and thousands of JL owners or is this actually just a noise that has no real problem associated with it.

Bro, had mine to the dealership yesterday and they won't even touch it because it's modified. You're problem sounds identical to mine. Have you found any resolution to your case yet?

P.S. I too, work as a firefighter ;)

jerrygcoffey

First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
****** Edited for clarity and updated specifics. I realized at 4 am I had mistyped and misspoken on several things******

So my 2018 JL sport has this noise at super slow speeds. I do have the Dana 44 with the anti spin set-up. Vehicle only has 83 miles on it and I stopped by the dealer after reading the other rear diff noise thread on here. They made me an appointment to bring it in next week and get it listened/looked at. But while I was at the dealership I decided to ask my super cool salesman about driving a few other new on the lot vehicles to see if same noise was heard. Well low and behold I had the opportunity to drive 11 new Jeeps. One of which was a 2020 Sahara that had just been pulled off the transport truck. Here’s the specific list of what was driven.
1. 2019 JL Sport S with base rear axle non 44 and 2.0 engine. (No rear noise)
2. 2020 JL Sport 2.0 all base stock axles non 44 and 3.6 engine. (No rear noise)
3. 2018 Jeep Sahara JLU with tow package and 44 and axle w/anti spin and 2.0 engine. (Yes in rear noise)
4. 2019 Rubicon JL, 2.0 engine. (Yes on rear noise)
5. 2019 JL Sport non S With tow package and Dana 44 rear and anti spin and the 3.6 engine. ( yes on rear noise)
6. 2018 JLU Rubicon Dana 44 front and rear. 3.6 engine. (Yes on rear noise)
7. 2018 JLU Rubicon Dana 44 front and rear w/ 2.0 eng. (Yes on rear noise)
8. 2020 JL Rubicon with Dana 44’s and 2.0 engine. (Yes on rear noise)
9. 2019 JLU Sahara with base axles non 44 rear w/2.0 engine. (No noise)
10. 2020 Sport base model non 44 rear and the 2.0 engine. (No noise)
11. 2020 JLU 2 with the obvious 44 axles and the 3.6. (yes on rear noise)

All vehicles had under 200 miles each and all were driven for 5 miles same route each time. All vehicles with the Dana 44 repeat had the slow rear rotational noise from rear axles. So we are either looking at something that is specific to JL’s or we’re looking at a future major recall from Chrysler. I had three different managers and one tech eventually ride along and listen and everyone was like, what the heck... we’ve never heard that before.

My personal 2018 Sport with the Dana 44 rear antispin/axle is an awesome vehicle and has no problems outside of the rear noise and it drives like a dream in 2H-4H and 4L. If this turns into an issue where I have to leave it for multiple weeks while parts are ordered and it’s repaired, like a new axle. I guarantee you I will lay the keys on the salesman’s desk and walk out and never buy another Jeep again. I am an Emergency Rescue first responder for the County and I have to have my vehicle in tip top shape 24-7 where we live and work and this situation will not be acceptable. Three of or guys on our west end team have new JL’s that were all recently purchased in the last 3 months, and we plan on turning them once again into high water rescue vehicles. We unfortunately go through vehicles every three years doing what we do and we can not be down one man at any particular time.

So my curiosity is, do we really have a major situation coming to thousands and thousands of JL owners or is this actually just a noise that has no real problem associated with it.
WOW I THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY!

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara

I, for one, feel your pain and it seems like many (I haven't personally noticed it yet) here think you should shut up and eat it. I hope you get your case resolved.
Sponsored