Sponsored

Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Hoped they would fit normally, but no such luck, so here we are. This post will allow you to install Rokblokz on a 2020 Sahara, or other models with the same extended bumper trim.

It took maybe an hour? The majority to figure out the first one, but the second was quick. Two beers, a sandwich, (required) and no swearing after the initial disappointment.

There's a separate topic posted on installing the front flaps with the Mopar steps if you search this forum. Hope this saves someone some time and effort.

The problem with the rears is not with the fender liner, it's this thing:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_164232

The extra trim piece from the bumper to the fender contour gets in the way. I know Rubicons don't have this piece, but I don't know about all the other trims. It seems easy enough to remove entirely; people take them off to install cargo racks.

I decided against removing both the trim and the fender liner, because I have rear parking sensors. The wiring for them is right behind the trim pieces you'd normally remove, and they've kept the whole area pretty clean so far.

Procedure is as follows.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I removed the fender liner, as per the instructions. Some people cut a slot into it to accommodate the bracket. After I installed the bracket, I did a test fit, and it turned out that the mudflap wouldn't fit at all with the trim piece in the way, nevermind the fender liner. Sorry, no picture of it not fitting, I was swearing.

After lots of thinking, turns out the easiest way to finagle it was to flip the brackets around:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_164208

Flipping the left and right brackets changed the orientation of the horizontal member, while keeping the arc-shaped slot the correct side down. In retrospect, this probably doesn't matter; you could probably just flip them upside-down.

With the mudflap bracket now standing away from the bracket coming off the chassis, the mudflap will clear the bumper trim piece. Unfortunately, the bracket originally angled backwards a bit, so flipping it made the mudflap angle forward and barely clear the stock tire. You can see the angle towards the tire in the above image. I had to remove it yet again and stuck it in a bench vise.

From obtuse to acute, the newly bent one on the inside:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_164115

Those brackets are tough, I could barely bend it with the short end in the vice and the long end horizontal, with all my weight on it. So I had to eat that sandwich, and drink that second beer, see?

I little bit less than 90Ā° worked for me:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_164944

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Seriously though, that thing is thick and resilient, definitely not just regular mild steel. I could barely budge it near the angle, bouncing my full weight on it. I ended up finishing the bend at the tip of the u-slots, where it's easier to bend, but now there's a tiny gap that I'm sure is going to collect leaves and debris.

If you weigh more than me, or aren't too lazy to set up a cheater bar, bending at the angle is probably better. Remember to wave goodbye to any warranty.

As you install, I hope you hope you have a high tooth-count ratchet, I didn't, in 1/2 inch:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_164519

That's without the fender liner, even tighter with it, and the bracket gets in the way of installing the liner. Don't be like me, if you're going to do it, put the fender liner in first.

Clearance after liner, looks like a ratchet or wonky-wrench ad:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_181330

An extension long enough to clear the flap bracket would make things much easier. Mine was precisely not long enough.

The liner acutally fits perfectly without cutting a slot if you install my backwards way!

Just clearing the weird bulge as you install:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_170117

Slotted all the way in:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_170127

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
The easiest way to get the liner and bracket in is to cut a square out of the fender liner so that you can still access the 16mm bolts for the bracket.

Not sure why I cleaned only the part I removed:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_164958

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_165250

No need to measure for the slot in the bracket or cut anything else. I just cut a random square.

For the liner, it's easiest to do the outside bolthead screw first, then the topmost one. With the mudflap bracket there, it only has about an inch of head clearance, so good luck.

Finished, the flaps are almost two inches closer to the tire, but clearance seems acceptable:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_170245
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_171532

In case it matters, you do get a small gap if you look from a certain angle:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20210413_181013

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Little dog --

I have a 2021 sport 80th anniversary ......the bumper situation looks the same as yours...

I followed your lead on this and cut a similar square...though I made a U cut instead, leaving a strip on the outside edge, thinking that would match up with the bracket. Turns out it does on the roght side of ours but not the left.....so your route is easiest and best.

Also, as far as putting the shield back in, I put mine back in BEFORE putting the flap bracket back on......worked fine for me.

I also did not reverse the brackets........I used them per the instructions and just clearanced the top inside corner of each flap a bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper IMG_20210502_130352211

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper IMG_20210502_133203745

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper IMG_20210502_131157500

IMG_20210502_140529286.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Little dog --

I have a 2021 sport 80th anniversary ......the bumper situation looks the same as yours...

I followed your lead on this and cut a similar square...though I made a U cut instead, leaving a strip on the outside edge, thinking that would match up with the bracket. Turns out it does on the roght side of ours but not the left.....so your route is easiest and best.

Also, as far as putting the shield back in, I put mine back in BEFORE putting the flap bracket back on......worked fine for me.

I also did not reverse the brackets........I used them per the instructions and just clearanced the top inside corner of each flap a bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper IMG_20210502_140529286

Hey, now that's smart.

I'll keep this in mind if clearance ever becomes an issue.

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Little dog --

IMG_20210502_140529286.jpg
Nice! I'm looking to install the rear XLs on my 2020 Rubicon and would like to keep the plastic trim I'm place since I won't be running the rears all the time. Regarding that piece and the u shape section you cut out, do you think you could also remove the thin piece left behind and just leave it out? It looks like it'll mount just fine with out it.

Thanks!

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Well.......I couldn't wait. Went ahead and installed the rears. I ended up cutting the whole square section out. Did what y'all recommended and installed liner first, then new bracket loosely, followed by sliding on the Rokblok. It sure was tight but manageable. Once I got it where I wanted it, I locked it down with knob screw then tightened up the 16mm bolts to the frame. Couldnt have went easier. Thanks for the info šŸ™Œ

20221025_193239.jpg

20221025_193301.jpg

20221025_193311.jpg

20221025_195533.jpg

20221025_195415.jpg

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
I tackled this today and this thread saved me when I was completely stumpedā€¦

TLDR - always search the forum when you encounter sth unexpected or risk wasting time

Full version - I had read this thread months ago (sidenote: I had a Rubi at that time for which I had just bought the rokblokz forā€¦ Rubi just got lemon-lawed and I got myself a used Sahara), but stupid me completely forgot about this.

Yesterday I installed the fronts and with some finagling and cutting the flaps I made it work, and today I felt brave and thought the rears would be easier. I checked the rokblokz site yesterday and it indicated clearly that my flaps would the Sahara no problemā€¦ HA!

Upon removing the first inside fender piece I saw this wasnā€™t going to to well, and here is where I made a critical mistake. Namely, Iet my curiosity cloud my judgement and started taking apart the bumper endcap from the wheel well. Pointless, as there is nothing interesting there and a whole lot of difficult-to-reach screws that break easily and odd plastic retainersā€¦

Result of the day: installed this driver side following the method laid out in this thread in 30mins (once I remembered it existed) and wasted 5hrs all-in with the passenger side.

Pics tomorrow, as today I finished without daylight and with my four-month-old screaming bloody murder in my ear as I was late for her bath and feeding. Sheā€™s a tough boss, but also the very best thing in my life!

Dlit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL Recon
Clubs

I removed the fender liner, as per the instructions. Some people cut a slot into it to accommodate the bracket. After I installed the bracket, I did a test fit, and it turned out that the mudflap wouldn't fit at all with the trim piece in the way, nevermind the fender liner. Sorry, no picture of it not fitting, I was swearing.

After lots of thinking, turns out the easiest way to finagle it was to flip the brackets around:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Rokblokz Vs. Sahara bumper 20221025_195415

Flipping the left and right brackets changed the orientation of the horizontal member, while keeping the arc-shaped slot the correct side down. In retrospect, this probably doesn't matter; you could probably just flip them upside-down.

With the mudflap bracket now standing away from the bracket coming off the chassis, the mudflap will clear the bumper trim piece. Unfortunately, the bracket originally angled backwards a bit, so flipping it made the mudflap angle forward and barely clear the stock tire. You can see the angle towards the tire in the above image. I had to remove it yet again and stuck it in a bench vise.

From obtuse to acute, the newly bent one on the inside:

Those brackets are tough, I could barely bend it with the short end in the vice and the long end horizontal, with all my weight on it. So I had to eat that sandwich, and drink that second beer, see?

I little bit less than 90Ā° worked for me:
Bracket is in backwardsā€¦just installed in my rubi it had the weird plastic thing too, fit fine. Cut a slit in liner so it could be reinstalled.
Sponsored