Rear main seal

Smike83

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler sport
Hey all. I have a 19’ JL sport with the 3.6 and 6 speed. Has any of you or know of anyone had problems with the rear main seal going bad? Mine is back at the dealership for its second one. I have just under 16k on it. First time it went bad I was around 5k when I noticed it leaking.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all. I have a 19’ JL sport with the 3.6 and 6 speed. Has any of you or know of anyone had problems with the rear main seal going bad? Mine is back at the dealership for its second one. I have just under 16k on it. First time it went bad I was around 5k when I noticed it leaking.
I had a rear main seal replaced on my 99 Mercedes E430 by a very good and reputable shop. It leaked immediately so they replaced it again and it has since been fine. It makes me wonder if a rear main seal is a difficult job or defective seals are common, or both?

It is entirely anecdotal, but it just seems like a common thing. Hopefully they'll get you squared away.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Use the search function, plenty of us have had the seal go bad in under 20k miles. Mine went bad at 8k miles. There are also quite a few who have had the seal go bad multiple times. In the end the issue for them was a warped oil pan, pan replaced, rms leaking stopped.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
How did you come up with this conclusion? Has it happened to you? Same problem with your JL?
Perhaps I should include sarcasm quotes next time, sorry. That's what happens to old worn out crankshafts, and is not the case for a new engine.

However, it is very unlikely that you simply have 2 bad seals. See the above comment.
Sponsored