Sponsored

Rear Locker light on dash and rear locker switch lights flashing when driving in 2 wheel drive

Bulldozer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
Honda Parts Counterman
Two different times now when driving the rear locker indicator on dash is blinking and the rear locker switch light are both blinking when driving in 2 wheel drive, this happen to anyone else ???
Sponsored

Attachments

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Lots of threads on this topic. You should do a search. You will end up needing your entire axle assembly replaced. Its a failed sensor in the differential.

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
Two different times now when driving the rear locker indicator on dash is blinking and the rear locker switch light are both blinking when driving in 2 wheel drive, this happen to anyone else ???
Did you continue to have problems with this or did you take it in for them to fix? If they fixed it, did they replace the whole axle system like mentioned from the person that replied to your post?

Asking bc mine did this over the last couple of days and I have less than 500 miles on my 21 JLUR.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Did you continue to have problems with this or did you take it in for them to fix? If they fixed it, did they replace the whole axle system like mentioned from the person that replied to your post?

Asking bc mine did this over the last couple of days and I have less than 500 miles on my 21 JLUR.
Like the other post stated. Many many threads on this. Most likely it’s a failed locker position sensor in the axle. Jeep has been replacing the whole axle if it’s the sensor or locker. There is a National back order on the axles. Last I saw it was 6-8weeks of waiting.

There are a couple of threads showing the probable cause of failure. The sensor is getting oil inside it causing it to fail. You can be proactive and pot the sensor. There is a post on how to do this on this site. If yours has already failed you have a couple of choices. Go to the dealer and have them look at it and they will probably tell you they need to replace the axle. More than likely they will let you keep and drive the Jeep while you wait. But not a guarantee. You could also order the wire adapter from Zautomotive. It’s $170 I believe. You unplug your Jeep wires from the axle. Plug them into the zautomotive adapter and then plug the adapter into the axle. This tricks your Jeep computer into thinking the sensor is ok. And your locker will work again and the flashing message on the dash will go away. You’ll still have a bad sensor though. Atleast until your dealer service department replaces the axle. Or jeep releases the sensor where we can buy it alone.

ChanchoSlayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Angry to find out from a Service Advisor at Don K Whitefish that Jeep has known the part should be recalled but decided not to do it and instead profit from it by partnering with a third party to develop and sale a wire harness that bypasses the defective sensor. How is that legal?

Sponsored

Javikid

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I just got the same issue, is it safe to drive with the light flashing and displaying rears locked in the off road pages?

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
We had this happen driving in 2wd on the highway this summer. The locker wasn't engaging, just the position sensor was failed so the computer didn't know what the locker's current state was. You could definitely feel the diff was open, not locked. Dealer ordered a new position sensor and replaced it under warranty a couple weeks later, took 1 day, pretty straight forward. It gets pretty annoying driving around with the orange locker light flashing on the dash like a turn signal though! Probably worth picking up a Z-auto harness anyway...

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If you have a taser, you can tell the Jeep that you don't have lockers, then map a steering wheel button to turn the lockers on bypassing the Jeep computer.

I just did this as I have an ARB air locker and the Jeep throws a code because it can not detect the rear locker and then disables the front locker too. Using the Taser, told the Jeep that the Jeep does not have lockers, then mapped a steering wheel button to turn on the front locker.

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
Mine is at the dealership right now for the flashing rear locker light and the service rear locker axle light is on.

Service person told me I might get charged a diagnostic fee of $160 if it's not under warranty.

I told her, "at 17,400 miles it better be".

Hopefully they have the parts to fix it. Or can soon.

Sponsored

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
Update:

They're saying it's the sensor pulling fluid so they ordered the parts (backordered) so hopefully it won't be too long.

They cleaned it up and put a gel around sensor to help limit fluid in the meantime.

The service rear locker light went on and off while driving home. It's off at the moment but the rear locker light still flashing.
Sponsored