Rear locker actuator

Cycleman4

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Last week I started getting the ”service axle locker system” message on my 2021 JLUR. Took it in to the dealer and was told that the plug for the actuator had broken off and that was the issue. They blamed it on whoever put the lift on my Jeep. Regardless they say the only way to service the actuator plug is to replace the entire axle. Anyone else had to deal with this bullshit? Can’t believe Jeep would make a part like the plug that would require such a drastic solution. Any advice?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Regardless they say the only way to service the actuator plug is to replace the entire axle. Anyone else had to deal with this bullshit? Can’t believe Jeep would make a part like the plug that would require such a drastic solution. Any advice?
The locker sensors on the JL and JT are a known issue. Unfortunately, as you've found out, the repair would normally be to replace the sensor, but the part is not available separately. The next best thing would be to replace the locker assembly, but that’s not available either. The only solution at the moment is to replace the entire axle assembly, but due to the commonality of this problem, they are on national back-order.

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Last week I started getting the ”service axle locker system” message on my 2021 JLUR. Took it in to the dealer and was told that the plug for the actuator had broken off and that was the issue. They blamed it on whoever put the lift on my Jeep. Regardless they say the only way to service the actuator plug is to replace the entire axle. Anyone else had to deal with this bullshit? Can’t believe Jeep would make a part like the plug that would require such a drastic solution. Any advice?
Tazer sells a plug in harness that deals with this issue.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/

OP
OP

Cycleman4

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The locker sensors on the JL and JT are a known issue. Unfortunately, as you've found out, the repair would normally be to replace the sensor, but the part is not available separately. The next best thing would be to replace the locker assembly, but that’s not available either. The only solution at the moment is to replace the entire axle assembly, but due to the commonality of this problem, they are on national back-order.
Update: got my jeep back from the dealer and they found that the issue was the plug connection on the diff housing. Here is the kicker. ...the little tab was broken of from the housing that keeps the plug in place and they blamed it on me since the jeep is lifted so not covered by warranty. Plug it back in and the lockers work. It boggles my mind that $.25 tab would cause an entire axle to need to be replaced on a $55,000 vehicle. Come on @JeepCares you can do better than this.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Update: got my jeep back from the dealer and they found that the issue was the plug connection on the diff housing. Here is the kicker. ...the little tab was broken of from the housing that keeps the plug in place and they blamed it on me since the jeep is lifted so not covered by warranty. Plug it back in and the lockers work. It boggles my mind that $.25 tab would cause an entire axle to need to be replaced on a $55,000 vehicle. Come on @JeepCares you can do better than this.
A zip tie will fix it for now, but as others said the sensor in there is a known issue and the dealer will want to swap out your axle. The zauto locker bypass is a few bucks, but it's a permanent fix and I would much rather do that than give the Jeep to a dealer for any length of time.
Matter of fact, I bought 2 to avoid this issue.

Sponsored

Blu_JLU

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I just had this issue 2 weeks ago with my front sensor. They replaced the entire front end/ diff and it was about $6000 (covered under warranty) but took 6 weeks to get it. I just had a lift installed 2 days ago and started getting the error gain today. I’m very fearf that they will now blame the lift. Ugh.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
It really is pathetic how fragile the software in this vehicle is.

There is no thought given to working around possible problems. They just shut off the function or brick the entire vehicle.

AT vehicles made undriveable because of a bent pin in the door harness caused by re-installing the door.

All vehicles made undriveable because the aux battery fails. And then it pulls the main battery down and destroys that.

Lockers that won't work because a sensor that confirms its locked can't read the condition.

Its insanity. I read here of someone who simply put their locker on an Aux switch and bypassed all the nannies. Brilliant.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I just had this issue 2 weeks ago with my front sensor. They replaced the entire front end/ diff and it was about $6000 (covered under warranty) but took 6 weeks to get it. I just had a lift installed 2 days ago and started getting the error gain today. I’m very fearf that they will now blame the lift. Ugh.
The sensors are now available, albeit stupid expensive ($350ish if I remember right). I highly recommend potting both your sensors to keep this from happening in the future.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It really is pathetic how fragile the software in this vehicle is.

There is no thought given to working around possible problems. They just shut off the function or brick the entire vehicle.

AT vehicles made undriveable because of a bent pin in the door harness caused by re-installing the door.

All vehicles made undriveable because the aux battery fails. And then it pulls the main battery down and destroys that.

Lockers that won't work because a sensor that confirms its locked can't read the condition.

Its insanity. I read here of someone who simply put their locker on an Aux switch and bypassed all the nannies. Brilliant.
You're not exactly wrong, but most of those conditions are extremely rare.
Sponsored