Rear license plate?

rogerutley

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Any thoughts on drilling into rear bumper to attach ALL four screws in four hole license plate vs only top two holes as already pre drilled?..just hate drilling into a brand now bumper..Thanks
Sponsored

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
Just do it. It will be easy. Your plate will be the template to get the holes in the correct location. It’s your Jeep, but why do you need four holes?

OP
OP
rogerutley

rogerutley

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Just do it. It will be easy. Your plate will be the template to get the holes in the correct location. It’s your Jeep, but why do you need four holes?
Thanks for replay..just thinking 4 holes might look better due to when I snug top holes, bottom of plate sticks out..will prob just back off top screws off a bit and that should be a fix?...thx for reply..just my OCDC at work!..Be safe

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have only the top 2 holes on mine. Seems to be holding fine.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Any thoughts on drilling into rear bumper to attach ALL four screws in four hole license plate vs only top two holes as already pre drilled?
Exactly what I did. Drill pilots with a slightly undersize bit first, and use coarse screws to secure the plate. Mine are trimmed with black caps for a clean look. Done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rogerutley

rogerutley

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Exactly what I did. Drill pilots with a slightly undersize bit first, and use coarse screws to secure the plate. Mine are trimmed with black caps for a clean look. Done.
Do you have steel bumper?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I have steel bumpers, but in PA we have only a rear license plate. I had the warping license plate issue the OP mentioned, so I tried drilling lower mounting holes. Must have been a dull bit, as it didn't go anywhere.

I don't remember which solution I chose, but a small strip of self-adhesive velcro along the bottom of the plate would/did hold it tight, but be removable. Alternatively, a small strip of foam tape would also work, and be removable someday with brute force. I've used the foam tape on license plate frames on tailgates, where the rattling license plate frame on the tailgate of my new (then) $60K SUV would drive me nuts. I liked a quiet "thump" of closing, although now it seems with self-opening tailgates, they whir closed...

Good luck!
Sponsored