AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
It can't be this hard. Dumped plastic bumper for low profile model. Bought after market license bracket and a couple lights. Clipped the end off the stock cable wired up new lights. Turned lights on and Nada. Checked voltage. Nada. Spent 30 minutes looking for fuse Nada. Finally found reports there is no fuse., it is controlled by body control module it will reset when its ready..... Been waiting since Sunday still not on. How about the license/tail light wire at trailer harness? or taping off tail light on passenger side? Did I miss something here, it can't be this hard...
Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Can't help you there. I didn't want to risk any warranty issues, so I wired a Mopar plug to my license plate light, and just plugged into the factory harness and have had no issues.

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
did you install a LED light? If so, LED lights only work when they are wired up with correct polarity. Try swapping the wires and see if that fixes it. If you have ever swapped a halogen bulb with a LED bulb, you know if it doesn't work the first time, turn the bulb around and it works. It should just be in series with your front marker lights.

If its halogen, there may not be enough juice to that to feed a halogen. How many volts are at the fixture?

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
Before you cut off the harness, check the wiring as It may contain the Backup Sensor Wiring! The wires you are looking for are:
White/Heavy Blue Tracer: License Plate Light
Black: Ground/Negative
(Verify just to be sure)

dont know if the above helps at all but found this in another thread

Sponsored

OP
OP
AlanD

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I'm technical support engineer, I fix CT scanners... It's a Sport no back up sensors. No voltage at the plug by drivers side rear tire. That's why I was looking for a fuse. Yes they are LEDS. Polarity correct unless wires swapped at back of lamp it self. I have Oracle flush mounted lamps. I didn't have to set LED to on for tail/brake lights. Thanks that is correct White with blue stripe should be hot with lights on. But it is not... If it doest start working bf friday Ill use a scotch-lock connector off a rear running lite I guess.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
+1 for the 3M scotchLoks.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
that is strange. i have my plate on a hitch mount with an LED frame and just ran the wires over to it. has always worked. assumed it was hooked up to the parking lights. didn't know the system had to think about it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That is strange, here's my thread on license plate relocation
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/license-plate-relocation.62772/
This is the only pic I have of the plate light wire, this is the connector going from the rear back corner and I just cut off the connector and soldered the hot wire from my new led license plate to the white wire w/ blue trace, it lit right up when the fob unlocks the vehicle, when the lights are on, or when the lights are set to just the parking lights. There was no waiting time involved, and this is for a sport S w/ no LED light pkg.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear License plate light? 1651725899490

OP
OP
AlanD

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well thankfully I don't drive much at night. I have been busy at work and just remembered this thread. I didn't want to leave the thread hanging. I finally sat down to do serious trouble shooting with my DVM a couple weeks back. Evidently When removing the bumper I let the weight on the license light cable it had separated very slightly on the Jeep side of the connector to the rear bumper. Up in the rear drivers side wheel well. I replaced it with a high quality waterproof conector with dielectric grease... So lets call it a self inflicted wound. I should have checked at the connector right away. I feel stupid but there it is. Bumper and license plate look great.
Sponsored